Alcohol in films versus music

LiveMusic

• Members

A low budget film is being shot in my hometown. I watched them all afternoon. Very interesting. A lot of people are employed, there's a lot going on!

As I watched them work, it struck me that perhaps everyone is on their game? I have no idea. I just wondered if people don't get high while working. As opposed to music. With some musicians, drinking is pretty common, indeed. Although, I guess less so with "professional" acts.

• Members

The music scene that I see here in LA is not so much a party scene. I'm pretty much in the studio musician scene. Nobody gets high there. Not that they didn't used to. Maybe yes, and maybe no. But it's not the norm while we're working. I knowt that it's different in the rap and hip hop scene. Not that there's anything wrong with "relaxing". But there is a time and a place.

Steve

Steve

• Members

A low budget film is being shot in my hometown. I watched them all afternoon. Very interesting. A lot of people are employed, there's a lot going on!

As I watched them work, it struck me that perhaps everyone is on their game? I have no idea. I just wondered if people don't get high while working. As opposed to music. With some musicians, drinking is pretty common, indeed. Although, I guess less so with "professional" acts.

They shoot movies, commercials, and TV episodes in my neighborhood all the time. Sometimes even in this house. Once they even shot a rape scene in the garage! :eek:

Generally speaking no one gets high. No one drinks.

• Members

I dunno, if you'll watch some movies from the 1960's and 1970's, it's pretty obvious that some of the actors are either slightly drunk or stoned... On TCM recently, I saw a film from 1965, in which the actor Dana Andrews was DEFINITELY slobbering drunk... I think they must've had to prop him up with a stick during his scenes.... (It was a sad and embarrassing coda for a once fine American actor...)

Dennis Hopper said the whole cast was stoned throughout the making of EASY RIDER in 1968. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole New Orleans "cemetery" scene (Hopper, Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Toni Basil, Teri Garr) were not genuinely acted on acid.

Ann-Margret looked pretty coked-up in 1975's TOMMY. Ditto Tina Turner.

But nowadays, booze seerms to be less "politically correct" not only amongst actors, but in society in general... I think of the WWII/1950's/1960's generation (our parents and grandparents) as being much boozier than we are today collectively as a society... To me, much Big Band music of the 40's and Jazz of the 1950's was ALL about the booze... You can just HEAR it in the music and singing...

Branford Marsalis will fire on-the-spot any musician in his ensembles he deems to be stoned.

For me, today, the rigorous attention to detail demanded by my computer forbids me to drink at all.

Texas standup comedian Ron White comes out on stage these days, and appears to down several tumblers of Jack Daniel's during his act.... but when the camera comes in for a closeup, it's pretty obvious to me that the JD bottle is dispensing iced tea... Janis Joplin could get royally effed on SOUTHERN COMFORT before thousands in 1969... I remember seeing Peter Criss sing "Beth" live in 1977, and the dude was so drunk he couldn't get the lyrics straight--- slurring them incomprehensibly before thousands in the arena--- and basically stumbled onto and off his chair.... but I'm not so sure audiences would permit it so freely nowadays...

• Members
I dunno, if you'll watch some movies from the 1960's and 1970's, it's pretty obvious that some of the actors are either slightly drunk or stoned... On TCM recently, I saw a film from 1965, in which the actor Dana Andrews was DEFINITELY slobbering drunk... I think they must've had to prop him up with a stick during his scenes.... (It was a sad and embarrassing coda for a once fine American actor...)

Dennis Hopper said the whole cast was stoned
throughout
the making of
EASY RIDER
in 1968. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole New Orleans "cemetery" scene (Hopper, Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Toni Basil, Teri Garr) were not
genuinely acted
on acid.

Ann-Margret looked pretty coked-up in 1975's
TOMMY
. Ditto Tina Turner.

But nowadays, booze seerms to be less "politically correct" not only amongst actors, but in society in general... I think of the WWII/1950's/1960's generation (our parents and grandparents) as being much boozier than we are today collectively as a society... To me, much Big Band music of the 40's and Jazz of the 1950's was ALL about the booze... You can just HEAR it in the music and singing...

Branford Marsalis will fire on-the-spot any musician in his ensembles he deems to be stoned.

For me, today, the rigorous attention to detail demanded by my computer forbids me to drink at all.

Texas standup comedian Ron White comes out on stage these days, and appears to down several tumblers of Jack Daniel's during his act.... but when the camera comes in for a closeup, it's pretty obvious to me that the JD bottle is dispensing iced tea... Janis Joplin could get royally effed on SOUTHERN COMFORT before thousands in 1969... I remember seeing Peter Criss sing "Beth" live in 1977, and the dude was so drunk he couldn't get the lyrics straight--- slurring them incomprehensively before thousands in the arena--- and basically stumbled onto and off his chair.... but I'm not so sure audiences would permit it so freely nowadays...

I have actors and actresses in the family. Real ones. :cool: They don

• Members

Dennis Hopper said the whole cast was stoned
throughout
the making of
EASY RIDER
in 1968. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole New Orleans "cemetery" scene (Hopper, Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Toni Basil, Teri Garr) were not
genuinely acted
on acid.

Ann-Margret looked pretty coked-up in 1975's
TOMMY
. Ditto Tina Turner.

Texas standup comedian Ron White comes out on stage these days, and appears to down several tumblers of Jack Daniel's during his act.... but when the camera comes in for a closeup, it's pretty obvious to me that the JD bottle is dispensing iced tea... Janis Joplin could get royally effed on SOUTHERN COMFORT before thousands in 1969... I remember seeing Peter Criss sing "Beth" live in 1977, and the dude was so drunk he couldn't get the lyrics straight--- slurring them incomprehensively before thousands in the arena--- and basically stumbled onto and off his chair.... but I'm not so sure audiences would permit it so freely nowadays...

Simply too much money riding on these hundred million dollar projects.

You have the reps of completion bond underwriters sniffing around... if an unprofessional workplace is maintained it could have serious economic consequences; it might even close you down even if there wasn't a single accident.

Since the Twighlight Zone movie disaster (with its numerous violations of workplace safety during Landis' segment, including the use of live ammo on the set, violations of child safety laws [two children and an adult actor were killed in a horrific and senseless accident]) -- and the big losses, decade of criminal and civil trials, judgment awards, etc -- production companies and their underwriters have taken this stuff pretty seriously.

But maybe there'll be a Britney movie...

• Members

Studio musicians cannot afford to be stoned; they have to accurately play what's on the page.

The creative process? That's a whole other animal. The arts in general have been known as bastions of licentiousness for centuries. With good reason, and frankly with good result.

• Members
Since the Twighlight Zone movie disaster (with its numerous violations of workplace safety during Landis' segment' date=' including the use of live ammo on the set, violations of child safety laws [two children and an adult actor were killed in a horrific and senseless accident'])quote]

I think Vic Morrow was beheaded by a helicopter, no? :eekphil:

• Members

I think Vic Morrow was beheaded by a helicopter, no?
:eekphil:

Yeah. Dead is dead -- but it's not fun for your family members and love ones to have to live with.

Two young children extras were also killed in the same accident.

According to numerous reports from cast, crew, and production personnel -- much of it sworn testimony in the criminal and civil trials -- Landis repeatedly broke numerous general and child safety regulations, was warned a number of times, but kept right until the horrific helicopter accident.

I followed some of the aftermath of the accident in the LA Times (petty much a trade paper for the industry in those days) and the excesses and grievous lapses were utterly shocking. It amazed me and many others when the criminal trial failed to produce convictions -- but then, LA is notoriously subject to "rich man's justice." As we've seen repeatedly... and continue to see.

After the accident and subsequent trials (which lasted for 10 years) the industry got a lot more serious about not letting star directors get away with... manslaughter. The state of California also tightened a number of child workplace laws that applied to the entertainment industry.

And, of course, as noted, the underwriters brought their very powerful fountain pens down on the industry, refusing to insure when there wasn't proper assurance that workplace safety rules would be followed.

• Members

I've known people who drink or do drugs on the job, but they don't keep their jobs very long. Acting does not seem to be much different. Actors you hear about drinking on the job are usually on a downward spiral. Music is also much more of a business than it used to be. Some of my musician friends were great talents but they got left behind people do not want to make a living worrying that a coworker may not be able to stand upright through an entire gig.

• Members

A bunch of original, wild studio effects were created by people high on something or other.

Dude, when I work, I don't get high or drunk. And when I'm onstage or in the studio, I'm doing my job. Why would anyone assume otherwise? I don't expect people to go to work inebriated under any circumstances.

In the 50s and early 60s, studios were very clinical places. There was a set way of doing things.... once the hippies et al got in, the creative process opened wide. People who are straight arrows are somewhat more inclined to do things the 'right' way than to experiment.

• Members

People who are straight arrows also...

- Show up on time for gigs.

- Don't act like an idiot onstage.

- Tend not to pick fights with other band/audience members.

- Play better overall.

- Don't crash their cars on the way home from the show.

- Don't get arrested as much.

- Don't blow off rehearsals and recording dates.

I'm no prude, I promise. I'm also not a sobriety freak. But I've outgrown accepting people who bring their substance abuse problems to my workplace. If you show up to a studio session or a gig with me and you're too impaired to play right, you won't be invited back. Simple as that.

• Members

It is very competitive to get a job in film or video. To work your way up the ladder you have to be smart, quick, alert and work well with others. No one on a crew is so important that they can't be replaced. As a result, no one would last long if they are at all impaired. If anyone uses drugs it would be stimulants and it would be very discrete.

Another factor is that a film or video set has lots of hazards and expensive, delicate equipment. If someone was stumbling around they could destroy thousands of dollars worth of gear or seriously injure or kill someone.

In the late seventies and early eighties things were more relaxed, but I have not seen any impaired people on the set in a long, long time. Maybe some big time stars can get away with it, but no one else can.

A serious issue in the business is some of the long hours. It can be cheaper to keep your crew working overtime compared to paying for use of a location for an additional day, or there can be other types of scheduling pressure. A few people have fallen asleep behind the wheel on their way home after a very long day. The unions are trying to address this safety issue.

• Members

In the late seventies and early eighties things were more relaxed, but I have not seen any impaired people on the set in a long, long time. Maybe some big time stars can get away with it, but no one else can.

Word. My friends who are grips, set designers, boom operators, ADs, PAs and so on wouldn't dare showing up for work high or drunk. Way too many people in line behind them who want the gig.

• Members

My friends who are grips, set designers, boom operators, ADs, PAs and so on wouldn't dare showing up for work high or drunk. Way too many people in line behind them who want the gig.

Bingo.

Who wants to look like a hillbilly pothead from Louisiana?

• Members

Word. My friends who are grips, set designers, boom operators, ADs, PAs and so on wouldn't dare showing up for work high or drunk. Way too many people in line behind them who want the gig.

A friend has been working on the sets at the local Warners Facility where they are shooting the new Jodie Foster movie. He said all the set builders and props etc were stoned all the time. After work out came the slabs of beer.

Archived