Collapse
No announcement yet.

BI-AMPING

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am done debating this today. Build you own rig,copy mine if you like. Turn off the PC and try some of the things I am talking about instead of listening to the yaking of the E-Experts.

You're making comments about people without having a clue what their experience might be. And apparently fail to see the irony of your statement.
    "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Again, I don't think you gain all that much clarity over a passive crossover. Probably not noticeable at all to most folk. If you use the right speakers and a quality crossover network.

I'd love to see an A/B comparison between Kindness's 15/6 and your GLX stack, in a clarity test. I really would.
      Dingwall ABZ 5
      Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion
      Markbass SD1200 -> LDS 15/6 fEarful

Comment

I'm glad you like your rig: However, it's theoretically ridiculous, and recommending it like you're some kind of theory expert is equally so. You've got value statements and anecdotal evidence. I'm sure as hell not going to start recommending people to buy some bargain aluminum cone speakers and because some guy on a forum said it sounded cool.

Wait, and it sounds cool for slap and pop, which seeks drastically different tones from pretty much every other style.
        Dingwall ABZ 5

Comment

I've been playing through a two amp system for over 30 years, but obviously I don't have a clue as to what works...in a cockwaving match.
          There's a Seeker born every minute! -Dr. "Happy" Harry Cox

member HCBF Tube Bass Amp Club

"i have that kind of voice..... a man who received a kick on his balls"-Cencio

"Moreover, the sound of an air rich feeling is a feature because it excels in sound place vast reproduction."
          -

I beg to differ
          My myspace
          Bucket on myspace
          Tickled Pink on myspace
          psychodots.net

Comment

I've been playing through a two amp system for over 30 years, but obviously I don't have a clue as to what works...in a cockwaving match.

Two amp and biamp are different things,
            Dingwall ABZ 5

Comment

Two amp and biamp are different things,

Yeah, I surrendered to that realization over at TB a couple years ago.

I don't really yak about it too much. I just bring my **************** in and play.
              There's a Seeker born every minute! -Dr. "Happy" Harry Cox

member HCBF Tube Bass Amp Club

"i have that kind of voice..... a man who received a kick on his balls"-Cencio

"Moreover, the sound of an air rich feeling is a feature because it excels in sound place vast reproduction."
              -

I beg to differ
              My myspace
              Bucket on myspace
              Tickled Pink on myspace
              psychodots.net

Comment

I don't really yak about it too much. I just bring my **************** in and play.

There are good lessons to be learned from this.
                HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
                Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

So even though you have absolutely no hands on experience with Biamping "its pretty obvious" and becuase you read it on the net or where ever makes it practically applicable.

If lots of other players didn't compliment my rig and my sound that would be one thing but other players and musicians often compliment my sound and tone and my playing. It projects,it rumbles it works regardless of the blather in this thread to the contrary. I can cut through any mix anywhere any time.

I can recomend anything I want.Your Results may vary.

As to the slap comment did you know alot of those same overtones and harmoincs are in pluck playing to, they are just much more accented in slap playing.

Oh now its come down to "bargian priced aluminum speaker" never mind the fact I could have purchased anything I wanted but I choose to buy these. I had the funds to purchase whatever I wanted.

The true Full Range gear snobbery comes eeeking out.

You have nothing to back your argument other then fundemental tones that are only Part of the sound of any given note on a stringed instrument. I bet you could turn down 40hz and still here E loud and clear.

I will continue to use my gear and play shows and have a great sounding reliable rig. Enjoy the snobbery. Your evidence is anecdotal. You obviously don't understand voicing and how to accomplish it. If you did we wouldn't be having this debate.

there a big distance between thoery and application.

I'm glad you like your rig: However, it's theoretically ridiculous, and recommending it like you're some kind of theory expert is equally so. You've got value statements and anecdotal evidence. I'm sure as hell not going to start recommending people to buy some bargain aluminum cone speakers and because some guy on a forum said it sounded cool.

Wait, and it sounds cool for slap and pop, which seeks drastically different tones from pretty much every other style.

Comment

I don't care. The fact that someone is a engineer at GM for thirty years doesn't make them a good engineer and so far no one on this forum has any published paper on the subject manner being discussed.

You're making comments about people without having a clue what their experience might be. And apparently fail to see the irony of your statement.

Comment

Well if you don't know just say. I don't have any eperience with the subject.Having done Both I can tell you there is an audiable improvement in where the cross over is. Is you use a passive post amp crossover at high power levels you get signal crowding or fall out near the cross over point.

Again, I don't think you gain all that much clarity over a passive crossover. Probably not noticeable at all to most folk. If you use the right speakers and a quality crossover network.

I'd love to see an A/B comparison between Kindness's 15/6 and your GLX stack, in a clarity test. I really would.

Comment

On the other hand, sometimes an intuitive type can simply make a leap, thinking-wise, without the time-consuming work that techies need to arrive at good, sound answers. If time pressure is on, sometimes it's the intuitive (not always) that makes the quick fix in the field.

Exactly.

Besides, this is music, not comp sci or law.

The only thing that matters is the subjective result - the sound and the player's happiness and sense of well-being with the rig.

If I had that rig I'd sure give it a try - why the hell not?

All this tech stuff is well and good but if it keeps you from trying something (within reason, that won't fry stuff), then that tech info is JIVE, pure and simple.

For example, you can say that a certain x-over point is not allowing this or that, or is poorly chosen based on some specs, or you can actually go into the situation knowing what type of tone you want and then turn the knobs till you get there.

The tech stuff is cool, but it shouldn't be seen as rigid LAW. (Thank god for that - do you think Vangelis did full spectrum analyses of his sounds? Did the trancers that abuse the TB-303 use the device the "proper" way, as intended? Did Chris Squire do the "right thing" playing his bass through guitar cabinets?)

It's a guide to keep you from blowing up **************** - other than that - turn the damn knobs and stop when it sounds good.

I'm out.
                        Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

The captain reappears.
                          HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
                          Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

The captain reappears.

Obviously
                            Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Bi amping makes sense if you want to tune the room and take loads off your amps and make your speakers work more efficiently.

I like the idea of running wet signal through the high frequency. And also messing with SS and tube combos

Comment

Welcome to the board.
                                "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                                -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                                -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                                -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                                -- Theodore White

Comment

Working...
                                X