Don't like writing words.

zachoff

• Members

My problem is I don't want to write songs about politics or religion (just don't want to be one of 'those' bands), but those are the two things that fuel the fire, so to speak. :idk: Guitar player said he likes my singing and will help with lyrics so we'll see what happens.

• Members

Some of the best lyrical concepts are fleeting, kind of like bass lines, so you gotta capture your thoughts/emotion before it's gone.At least jot them down. It also helps to have a quiet couple of hours without distraction. If you feel like you're not writing what you're trying to, use a thesaurus. Sometimes useing a different word can get you mind flowing. Don't ask why. I have way more lyrics written than bass lines. Don't worry too much about song structure, just capture the words. Your band can/will help with arranging the lyrics/music.

• Members

the thing is, you don't need to have your words be one syllable per beat, it can span.

Just write what you want to say, and then stitch it to the melody.

Listen to any of your favorite songs and realize they don't make the melody/song fit the lyrics, but the other way around.

• Members

Writing the vocal melody first seems to make it a lot easier to me, although I still am atrocious at writing lyrics.

Yeah, I can hum a melody pretty easily as well... Just have a hard time putting the pen to the paper.

• Members

Man, there's nothing you can write that is anywhere near as bad as 'we all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...'

I am the Walrus.

The Beatles had many horrid lyrics, mage success.

Many artists had lyrics that don't make sense at all, but were little more than a collection of words that fit the melody and sounded neat together.

Rob Zombie and the Pixies come to mind.

• Members

My problem is I don't want to write songs about politics or religion (just don't want to be one of 'those' bands), but those are the two things that fuel the fire, so to speak.
:idk:
Guitar player said he likes my singing and will help with lyrics so we'll see what happens.

Every time I sit down to write something, it sucks. The more I concentrate, the worse it gets. More often than not I write a 'decent' song in the shower or while driving. I don't know if any of that helps you or not. YMMV.

Archived