Ampeg BA-112 DI

WRGKMC

• Members

This Ampeg preamp looks really cool. I love Ampeg tones for Bass.

I just bought a Vox Bass Pedal which I'm still messing with getting new sounds.

I wish I had seen this one first because no matter what Preamp/Modeler I use I always wind up dialing up an Ampeg like tone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCR-DI?zmap=SCR-DI&zmac=9&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=-1&adpos=1t1&creative=79410670561&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CPvSp4_89cUCFYqGfgodjiAA1A

• Members
I'm also intrigued by the diffrence in tone between it and the VT Bass from Tech 21. Thoughts?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACVTBass2DI

Maybe the Tech 21 will get a decent Ampeg tone. I haven't tried of their stuff and don't know what their signature tone is. I'm guessing it's a bit more modern. There's nothing wrong with that of course and I'm sure it probably sounds good. Its just like I said. I have several Bass DI's and I wind up dialing up an Ampeg like tone all the time because it sounds best with my music.

I do miss my 70's Ampeg V4B head and B52 cab with its Altec 15's. It was one of the best sounding bass amps I owned. It was only 100W but it was solid tube tone. I was often told by the sound man to turn down even in the largest clubs.

I used that amp long enough for me to rely on that sound ever since.

The reason I'm able to know what the signature "Ampeg" tone is, Is because I do own one of the new Portaflex head which I can use as a preamp to record direct. The heads are cool because you don't have to have speakers attached to run them. You can run the DI out and just turn the master volume off. This lets you use all the preamp settings and limiter for tracking. I've compared other preamp/modeling boxes I've used for tracking and the presets I dialed by ear come up to near clones of the Ampeg tracks.

The only reason I don't use the head more then I do is because its a little limited and a bit bulky sitting on the recording console. The 350W version has treble, bass and mids but no mid range shifting making it a little limited on targeting some stuff. I like to match the bass to the kick and need to vary mids and lows to different drum tracks. Having some cab modeling comes in real handy.

Archived