Using 10 Strings of a 12string guitar

nin8185

• Members

For some time now I have not enjoyed playing my 12 string Samick because the extra shimmer i felt got in the way of everyday play and wish i got a 6 string instead. Last night I took off the (high Octave) Low E and A strings and replaced the regular Low E and A strings with a slightly larger gauge. I feel this really has transformed my guitar into everyday use. Chords sound full from the shimmering dual octaves on the DGBE strings while still allow for a tight bottom from the E&A strings with out the extra octaves taking away from the low end. Playing hard rock on a 12 string always sounded over done to me but now it is quite perfect with only 10 Strings. Hope this may help some who don't utilize their 12 strings!

• Members

It's fairly common or anyway it was at one time. I used to do it when I still played my 12-string. Fewer strings to tune and bass runs sounded better IMHO. There are others who don't see the point and I get that too.

• Members

Both Martin and Taylor make 7 or 8 string guitars that are designed to have a little of the sparkle of a twelve but not the full monte. Others remove or change various strings to suit whatever style they like to play. I like a twelve with all strings but I do do some funky tuning.

Glad you found what works for you.

• Members
. . . Alvarez once made a 9 string guitar that just had octave pairs on the bottom E' date='A, and D.[/quote']

I remember those but the octaves were on the G B and E. The E A and D were single strings. I wanted one bad but the neck didn't feel right. There was also a Yairi version IIRC.

Archived