Impending NGD: Help narrowing down the search

panther_king

• Members

So after playing more guitars than I can count (not really, probably about 50) and trying to find a tone I really like, in a great guitar to last me until I can't play anymore, I've narrowed it down to a select few.

Unless something comes in out of left field to any of my local places, I'm going to pick between

Martin DC-16GTE Premium (Fishman Prefix Premium electronics)

Alvarez Yairi DY84C

If a Taylor 310ce pops up at a good price, that would be in the running too

My favorite local place has a great price on both the Yairi and the Martin, and I'm quite taken with them both. Both sound nice, the Yairi has a very tamed high end compared to some of the other rosewood guitars I was trying, and I like that. It honestly sounds pretty darn similar to the 'hog Martin. The Yairi has a few more appointments, but I think the electronics in the Martin are a little nicer.

What say you AG?

• Members

50 guitars is a good sample size. :)

Martins are like commodities. There's always a market for them, and they hold their value reasonably well. Yairi has a smaller following, but they do make some great guitars.

Go with the Yairi if you prefer the appointments, or go with the Martin if you think you may want to sell down the road.

Or keep looking. There are so many good guitars on the market and some real values on the used market.

• Members

You know, I'm a Martin guy but those Yairi's are something special. That's really a tough call. Martins are known for that deep low end, and I don't know if that particular Yairi has that low end, or even if you want that big bottom end. What style music do you mainly play? Do you need a more specific sound that one of the guitars will give you better of over the other?

• Members

The Micarta/phenolic resin fingerboard/tailpiece don't really bother me actually. Playing it, the fretboard feels like the smoothest, most perfect grainless piece of ebony you've ever seen. Feels great under your fingers. It's also supposedly exceptionally rigid, so the neck will be nice and solid.

This is my take on the micarta 'board, as well. If it looks like ebony and sounds like ebony and is even more rugged than ebony, then it's all good as far as I'm concerned. :cool:

• Members

Most Yairis have laminated back and sides... if that is a consideration on the choice. The Martin does hold its value, but the Yairi is much rarer... so it holds value in some markets. The problem is that a lot of people have never heard of the Alvarez Yairi. It is hard to find new ones and even harder to find good used ones. The Martins are relatively common.

• Members

The local acoustic shoppe in my little town on my little island in the middle of the North-East Atlantic always has two or three Alvarez Yairis on display.

Nice gits, deffo worth their price, but since all of them in that shoppe were sunburst :facepalm: and I hate most sunbursts with a capital "H", I was out of those deals.

• Members

O/P

Its really up to you yourself as to which guitar you finally chose

and best to take yer time and try both them out 1stly

As for colour between sunburst or natural guitars thats a personal opinion

My own is that i like the look of a sunburst by far as there's to many

plain looking natural guitars and a reckon they are more :bor:ing in a way

i like a touch of colour me :):wave:

• Members

Here's the problem; I've played both of them alot, and I really can't decide.
:p

What a GLORIOUS position to be in....!

Kick back and enjoy all the potential.

EITHER...eventually one of them will talk to you louder than the other, OR....you keep on trying other guitars and suddenly one will grab you by the ....erm...well you get it...

DON'T RUSH..!

Play everything you can get your hands on ..especially any second hand stuff around....you've got absolutely no pressure to buy, so play expensive guitars and dare to make outrageous offers for them (you don't give a sh1t...you've got your guitars waiting for you....).

Tell us what you've played each day and how they struck you...and we'll egg you on... :thu:

• Members

As Brindleleaf sais its a Glorious position to be in :)

Just take yer time, and if a bit :confused: as to what one still to buy

then walk away, and go back in a day or so, and try both again,

and when you feel right about the one, then make the break and buy it

and then ENJOY playing it.. sure ye shall :)

• Members

I'd go with the Martin or the Alvarez, personally. I like my guitars LOUD and have never gotten into the more "balanced" sound of Taylors, even their dreads.

Picking between those two, I'd go with the Martin probably. I've been itching for a Martin dread lately.

• Members

I assume that you are looking at these at Rainbow Guitars. Next time, go across the street to the Folk Shop. I bought a great and affordable Lowden there. The good stuff is hanging on the wall behind the counter.

Instead of playing those two exclusively, get some perspective by playing something/anything else a lot.

People keep offering that the Martin will have a higher resale value. One way or another you've got to put the Martin name out of your head and pick the one that says "PANTHER_KING"!

Archived