takamine pickups

trevthesparky

• Members

I own an electrically dead ED260C the problem is the pickup. I've mailed fender but their customer service sucks a fat one, they never reply.

Can anyone advise me which brand / type of pickup would be compatable with a TP4 preamp ( thats the one without the built in tuner)

• Members

I own an electrically dead ED260C the problem is the pickup. I've mailed fender but their customer service sucks a fat one, they never reply.

Can anyone advise me which brand / type of pickup would be compatable with a TP4 preamp ( thats the one without the built in tuner)

Any peizo-based p/u, be it a UST or a SBT, will work about equally well, if installed correctly.

Mark Markure, of Kaman/Takamine, might be of help in getting you an answer...he's a pretty nice guy.

Mike.Markure@Kaman.com (hopefully this is still his work email)

• Members

Well, if the problem is the pickup, then changing the preamp isn't going to help you. That will only help if the PREAMP is bad.

Also, if you mailed Fender about a problem with a Takamine guitar, then that might explain why their customer service "sucks a fat one." Just a guess, man. :rolleyes:

• Members

Also, if you mailed
Fender
about a problem with a
Takamine
guitar, then that might explain why their customer service "sucks a fat one." Just a guess, man.
:rolleyes:

D'oh!

Fender owns a great many companies, but Takamine isn't one of them. They're a division of Kaman, which is the same company that owns Ovation, Adamas, Hamer, and Gretsch Drums, among other things.

You might want to consider E-mailing Takamine---or Kaman directly---instead of Fender. And E-mailing TAH's guy probably isn't a bad idea either :).

• Members

And Kaman is owned by....

.... drum roll ........

Yeahhh! We have a winnar! Kaman is owned by Fender!

But that doesn't mean, that Fender will answer all the requests mailed to them.

They still have the Tak/Ovation/Guild etc. up and running. Same as in cars. Volkswagen owns/part owns Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bugatti, Porsche, Lamborghini ... but that doesn't mean that if I mail Volkswagen about a request regarding a Lambo, Volkswagen would by any means reply to that.

• Members

Guys, firstly the problem is not the preamp it is definitely the pickup. What I was asking was which p/u would be compatible with the preamp of the guitar not for info about the preamp.

Secondly, according to the Takamine website if you need customer service on Tak products you need to mail ukqueries@fender.com, thats why I mailed Fender.

I appreciate the replies but I guess I duffed the wording of my original post so maybe some got the wrong idea of what I was meaning but thats my bad:)

• Members

Yeahhh! We have a winnar! Kaman is owned by Fender!

Huh. Well I'll be. You learn something new every day :thu:!

According to Wikipedia, though, Fender only recently acquired Kaman---in Fall 2007. Maybe they're not interested in helping you if the guitar dates before the acquisition? Just a thought.

It seems kind of strange that Fender would have a single customer support E-mail address for all of its subsidiaries and holdings. I'd have to imagine that they get swamped, and I wouldn't be surprise if your E-mail just got lost (or delayed) in the shuffle. Someone on the other end of the line probably forwards your E-mail to someone at Kaman, who in turn forwards it to someone at Takamine.

And as screwed up as the corporate world is, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they had to shoot the E-mail back up the chain before they sent it back to you. Is there any way you could contact Takamine directly? An 800 number? A so_and_so@takamine.com?

• Members

Guys, firstly the problem is not the preamp it is definitely the pickup. What I was asking was which p/u would be compatible with the preamp of the guitar not for info about the preamp.

Secondly, according to the Takamine website if you need customer service on Tak products you need to mail
, thats why I mailed Fender.

I appreciate the replies but I guess I duffed the wording of my original post so maybe some got the wrong idea of what I was meaning but thats my bad:)

Takamine is owned by Fender? Didn't know that, dude. Also, you did state very clearly that the problem was with the pickup, not the preamp. I just didn't read it correctly. I apologize. The mistake was mine.

• Members

Yeah mate but ultimitely the Kaman Music Group owns Takamine Ovation Guild and Fender + a few others. I just mailed them so hopefully I'll get some useable info from them(fingers crossed)

It's so frustrating not being able to gig with this guitar, I'm using my Fender mainly and it's just not the same and as a spare I'm using a borrowed Tanglewood which is awful.

Just kill me now hehe!

Archived