Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

intonation problems after putting capo on?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intonation problems after putting capo on?

So, lately I see that my acoustic guitar goes a bit off tune when I use capo. Here is what I mean - I tune by guitar (say standard tuning) and when i put a capo on 2, the open base string shows slightly sharp G note, instead of bein  exact G.

So, each time, I put the capo on a bar, i have to re-tune slghlty so it doesn't sound off.

I hadn't noticed the issue before and I have had the guitar for a while.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And the solution?

Thanks!

The capo is clamping down too hard. Loosen the spring tension.
    Also: bass string.

Comment

• GW348
      GW348 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats an ago old problem with most capos. I find I can usually get by simply adjusting the low E.

Or you can buy an elliot or paige capo for big bucks. They are suppose to not do this.

What capo are you using?

I'm betting it's one that just clamps on with spring pressur. Buy a real adjustable capo... one you can turn a screw on to adjust the pressure. My preference is a Planet Waves NS or a Shubb.

Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

• Howie22
      Howie22 commented
      Editing a comment

FretFiend. wrote:

My preference is a Planet Waves NS or a Shubb.

Yeah, I liked those for a long time, then went with the Planet Waves NS Dual Action, which I liked better.

A while back, at the suggestion of TAH, I switched to a Paige Clik. I like it SO much better than the others. I actually don't even use the "clik" function, but it's truly superior to anything else I've tried.

• racoustic
      racoustic commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks! I didn't realize the brand of capo would cause this. Interestingly, I had been using a Shubb (love it!) until last week when my friend's dog ate the rubber on the capo (I know! lol!) so am using some cheap capo meanwhile. I guess that is causing the issue then.

Now, I ordered a Kyser just to check it out (I loved the Shubb but people also seemed to love the Kyser to wanted to try it once). I hope Kyser doesn't cause the same problem (I see some responses that it may) so keeping my fingers crossed. 

I really did love the Shubb and never had the tuning issue with it. Weird. Will update everyone if I continue to have the same issue after putting on the Kyser capo.

Thanks all. Good thing, there is (most likely) nothign wrong with the guitar itself

The only good thing I found with Kysers is convenience.  I use a shubb.

Bob.
    Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

• Opa John
      Opa John commented
      Editing a comment

acousticdepot wrote:

The only good thing I found with Kysers is convenience.  I use a shubb.

And that's good enough for me. I tweak the tuning after putting a capo on, anyway.....regardless of what kind of capo it is. I'm convinced they ALL change the tuning to some extent, so what's the difference between tweaking just a little bit or tweaking a little bit more. Not much in my book.

I want the capo to be like a perfectly fretted note - as light a touch as possible and right in the sweet spot up against the fret.

Comment

Working...
    X