X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acoustic guitar micing

hi every one i am wondering what mic is best for micing an acoustic guitar for live proformances

soundman11 wrote:

hi every one i am wondering what mic is best for micing an acoustic guitar for live proformances

The old stand-by is a Shure SM-57, particularily in loud situations, but a lot of folks like large diagram condensers, if the conditions will allow using one (solo guitar in quiet situations).

Comment

• Freeman Keller
      Freeman Keller commented
      Editing a comment

Yep, lots of folks use a SM57 pointed roughly at the 14th fret (not sound hole).   Sometimes two at an angle.   A friend has a little studio and he uses some fancy (and expensive) Neuman mic - I could find out if you are interested.

• liko
      liko commented
      Editing a comment

Graeca wrote:

soundman11 wrote:

The old stand-by is a Shure SM-57, particularily in loud situations, but a lot of folks like large diagram condensers, if the conditions will allow using one (solo guitar in quiet situations).

The 57 is a good one. Make sure the drums in the backline are out of the pattern though (generally means put the drums behind you and to your left as you'll want the mic angled to point at the body a little).

The 57's one problem is the windscreen; very delicate, especially for one of its more common uses as a snare mic. For guitar it won't be as much of a problem, but if you're worried you can try the Audix i5, basically Audix's competitor to the 57. Similar voicing, a bit brighter, and it has a much more durable cage for the element.

Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings use the old SM57.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Backing tracks, tablature, and other practice aids on my blog:<br />
    <a href="http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com</a></div>

Comment

• Bobby1Note
      Bobby1Note commented
      Editing a comment

flatpickle wrote:
      Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings use the old SM57.

and,,,, it doesn't get much better than that.

Here's all you'll need for "micing":

cat-and-mouse.jpg

Attached Files
    In the understory
    I can't see the forest
    For the branches and the leaves
    But I believe
    I do believe
    by me:

www.box.com

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
    Charlie Parker

Comment

Have a listen to a Sennheiser e614 or e914 as a nice starting reference. Very nice imo.

Comment

Working...
      X