Pickup suggestions for a gutted Schecter C-1 garage sale score

rjt378

• Members

I've only ever owned a Strat and a Telecaster (and many acoustics) but I happened across this gutted (no electronics at all) $600 Schecter C-1 that I scored for $50 and Im looking for some hard rock/metal pickup suggestions. As the Tele is a partscaster and the only guitar I have ever worked on, I'm used to the idea of matching different bridge pickups to the classic Tele neck pickup for different sounds. I've had a lot of fun doing that. The Duncan Jazz/JB pair looks like the most versatile option but also more than I want to spend. I've had good luck with budget pickup brands like GFS, etc but those are hit or miss and it's hard to find real ideas what they sound like or how they should be paired. It just seems like a waste to grab a neck and bridge of the same name and simply have a similar sounding pickup in the neck when you could pair it with something to make it more versatile, like the Duncan set. Am I thinking about that wrong? I tend to overthink everything.

I emailed some companies but got no real useful advice. Possibly because Im an idiot.

Appreciate any suggestions!

• Members

First off, you need to define your budget. You got a $600 guitar for $50 bucks, so you can afford to put some money into it, IF you decide to keep it.

Now I am going to be a broken record, and repeat myself. Bill Lawrence XL500's. Best rock pickup you can get and NOT break the bank.

DiMarzio Super Distortions, Been around for ages, with good reason.

I happen to LOVE some of the Ibanez pickups found of feebay used for the $20 mark. The V7 and V8 combo is especially tasty.

Nothing wrong with the GFS, if on a budget.

Yes, you could go with Lollar pickups, and spend 150 each. Same with the Duncan antiquity. Your guitar, your choice.

• Members

First, Happy New (Gutted) Guitar Day. Welcome to the Schecter Society. No specific recommendations but a quick check of eBay turned up a number of brand name pickups in the $25-50 (each) range. Kent Armstrong, DiMarzio, EMG, Fender. You should be able to assemble a set without breaking the bank.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. I happened across an old friend I hadn't seen in a few years who solved my issue in at least loaning me that exact Duncan Jazz/JB set he had laying around to get an idea of what I could expect.

I should have said that for at least 5 years now I have been running single coils only. That cheap Telecaster did have a humbucker cutout but I havent had the humbucker in there for several years. So I am relearning what humbuckers can do. And honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed. The Telecaster now has a GFS Surf 90 in the bridge and the stock single coil and it absolutely massacres the C-1 with the Duncans. Totally threw me for a loop.

So I am going to go the cheap GFS or used route and just piece the guitar together and see if I can't begin to love it. It's a beautiful guitar in very good condition so it deserves to be saved and at least sold to someone who can appreciate it if I dont end up keeping it.

Definitely a learning experience.

Archived