How many owners of Yamaha SA2200 on this board?

Berndt111

• Members

The HC reviews are excellent for this 335 copy. And people on this forum have also spoken highly of it. But there doesn't seem to be that many around. Is it rare? How many on this board actually own one?

Also is it played by famous players?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read somewhere that, in the early 80's, the SA2000 was the same quality and same price as the better known SG2000. I understand that the SA2200 is in that level of quality. It seems expensive for an asian guitar but it is still cheaper than a regular production real ES-335. That would make it an interesting deal.

• Members

The HC reviews are excellent for this 335 copy.

I know what you mean to say with "copy" but the Yamaha is its own style of semi acoustic. The shape is distinctive of high end SA's (from SA1000 up) and the appointments are very much Yamaha's own.

For an opinion on the SA2200 from a guy whose name is Geoff Farina, here is a long article where he speaks of alternatives to the Gibson ES-335. first the link :

http://www.geofffarina.com/tapeop.shtml

Then the part of that article where he speaks of it:

Gibson Alternatives: Gibson ES-335s are ideal studio guitars because of their versatility and their mellow humbucking sound. Listen to BB King's "Live at the Regal", "Live at Cook County Jail" and Shuggie Otis' "Shuggie's Boogie" for examples of how these guitars can sing. Needless to say, engineers love humbuckers because they cancel external noise, but their notoriously-high output levels often cause the muddy, compressed tones that make many players covet single coils. But the 335s semi-hollow design tends to tame humbuckers. As a result these guitars can achieve clearer humbucker sounds than Les Pauls and other solid-body humbucker guitars. With all these benefits, the ES-335 design has changed very little since it was introduced in 1958. In fact most recent Gibson 335s are fine guitars, but they cost about $700 more than they are worth simply because they bare the name Gibson.

Arguably the best 335-style guitar on the market is the Yamaha SA2200. This mass-produced Japanese guitar boasts an ebony fingerboard, Alnico pickups, and impeccable "craftsmanship" that is uncannily consistent with each guitar. The tone is clear and thick, and not muddy or hollow as some 335 copies tend to be. Although these guitars retail for about $1,500, they don't hold their value and often go for half as much used. They are a great choice for their utility and quality.

Then he speaks of Heritages as being also a very good choice.

• Members

So if I was ready to put a little more money towards a 335 copy, this one would be a good choice? Do I pay mostly for nice bindings and inlays and flame top or is it also good sounding, reliable hardware, etc.

This would be better answered by the owners of this guitar and there seems to be at least a few on this forum. Anyone?

• Members

I am a big Gibson fan, and I would usually spring for a higher price for a Gibson over a copy *if the Gibson felt and sounded at least as good as the copy*. I just think of Gibson as the "original", and I still think that the slightly varied shape of any copy (e.g. the slightly thinner bouts on the SA2200) never looks exactly "right" to me.

That said, I am the happy new owner of a slightly used SA2200 from eBay. The build quality appears flawless. And it captures the "big" ES-3x5 tone that I love so much. It's a lot like my former R7 Les Paul, but with that slightly different attack and nasal tinge to the tone that semi-hollows traditionally have. The neck pickup is NOT as muddy as on LP's I've owned before. The sustain, growl, and woodiness have that Gibson vibe all the way. Coil-splitting is great too. I guess it's most comparable to a Gibson ES-347.

I paid $1200 for the SA-2200, and I think it was a wise buy - elthough I hear they should be available for less (I haven't seen any yet).

• Members

I am another happy owner of the SA2200. I bought it to a large degree based on JKater's recommendation. It is hard to say how many HC'ers own one, as there are so many members if you go through the list alphabetically. But we are a comparatively small group of satisfied high-end Yamaha users. In Europe the deal is especially good. This guitar deserves be more popular. I've owned mine a little over a year now. The only wear you would notice is with the neck PU at one corner where the gold is starting to wear off. No problem. The frets are showing signs of wear too if you examine them. It seems as durable as any guitar with n/s frets. My only real problem with it is that my style of playing remains tied to a super strat - Floyd, HSS config. (Anatomically the super strat suits me a whole lot better too.) I got the Yamaha for the sake of variation in tone, as well as for slide playing. I had thought that I would mellow, and adopt more of a jazzy type of playing style, but I find this isn't happening. Rather I am getting interested in classical music and neoclassical metal. I have been playing many styles for years, including those mentioned (except classical), I am just talking about trends in what I am drifting towards. I plan on keeping it, but my next guitar will be a solid body guitar, possibly an SG2000. In short, the quality is excellent; the question may be if the guitar is right for you. For my part, the answer to the latter question is: it is and it isn't. How I feel about it varies quite a bit. This is my most negative review, which, as you can see, is really quite favorable.

• Members

As RN said, It depends on what you're looking for in a guitar. One consensus about the SA2200 is the great neck and playability as well as the quality consistency. The problem for those considering to buy an SA2200 is that they are relatively rare and hard to find in stores to try it. I have yet to enter a store that carries them on display so must of us have bought it online or on e-bay. I think they are already known as a top quality 335 style instrument along side the Heritage H-535, the Guild Starfire and, of course, the Gibson ES-335. Whether it's the one for you depends on your taste, basically.

A couple of years ago, we were a few owners here who were raving about the SA2200 but after numerous posts, typing the same superlatives and posting the same pics again and again, one starts to feel redondent. I enjoy reading the opinions of people having a different perspective like RockNote who is a superstrat guy or Gadzooka who has owned many good Gibsons. I do feel it's a nice tip to give someone looking for a good semi but, in that range, they are ALL good so that's a matter of finding the one(s) that is (are) your cup of tea.

• Members

Funny you should mention that, JKater. Since getting mine our two major chain stores in Denmark have begun carrying the SA2200. So, on two occasions I have had a chance to check out 2 other copies (in addition to my own). What I noticed was that they all look and feel virtually identical. The weight is the same as is the quality in manufacturing.

• Members

Personally I think they are better than the 335's.

I very much agree with you, Gary, if we are talking about regular production Gibson ES-335's and not the super expensive (and very good) custom shop ones. In fact, when I was decided to buy a good semi, I tried among others two Gibsons 335 and they were both sub-par instruments with issues that I found unacceptable in that price range. I had the bucks to buy them but they didn't make it for me. I also tried the Ibanez John Scofield model and it was very well done, comparable to the Yamaha in quality and equipped with the super58 pups. It was quite expensive but I seriously considered buying that one. But then I ordered the SA2200 to try it with the option of sending it back. I didn't expect that level of quality. The neck felt instantly good. It was even set up perfectly, action and all. Playing it unplugged was enough to feel the resonnance and it sounded very good even in my bad rig (flextone). As a bonus, it was a beauty with absolutely no flaws to be found. After three years, it is still my #1 in spite of owning a pretty good LP.

• Members

A few months back, I tried the SA 2200 at a local Yamaha dealer and found it to be a wonderful guitar. The construction quality is top notch, as well as the finish and I was very comfortable with the neck too. However, I had recently picked up a cheaper 335 clone that was a terrific player in its own right and I couldn

• Members
A few months back, I tried the SA 2200 at a local Yamaha dealer and found it to be a wonderful guitar. The construction quality is top notch, as well as the finish and I was very comfortable with the neck too. However, I had recently picked up a cheaper 335 clone that was a terrific player in its own right and I couldn

• Members

Through the front pup route. Just like a 135. But yes the Production Line Gibsons are a serious hit or miss. I played dozens before I bought mine which I considered one of the best one's I played. And though it is a wonderful built guitar. I still feel it lacks in the tone dept. somewhat. But I'm comparing it to a 135 and a Newport Pro. Somewhat different guitars. A real test would be a CS 335. While I really dig the 57Classics in the 135, I really feel they lack in the 335. But it could be the two different sets also? The 135 pups are a very good sounding set of 57's!

• Members

BTW I recently bought a RGX-520FZ and am so impressed with the quality/tone of this solid-body. I KNOW were talking apples and oranges. But I can't over how well Yamaha seemed to put a High end feel ona guitar in the $350-$400 dollar price range. Honest to GOD, I have played $2000. Gibsons that did not feel or play as well as this guitar. And the Tone of their own Humbuckers is amazing? They are SO-Similar to a set of PAF-JOE's I have by DiMarzio that I swear they must have used those pick-ups to build their own!

• Members

Archived