Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about the value of a Peavey T-60...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the value of a Peavey T-60...

First off, let's just state what it is:

US Made
    Bolt on neck with micro tilt adjustment
    2 HB pickups with coil tap
    Peavey adjustable bridge
    3 Piece Ash Body (Naturals and Bursts...Alder body on painted)
    Peavey USA Made Tuners
    Metal Nut

Okay, back in 1978, they sold for $350 with Hardshell case. Hartley felt there was a hole in the mid-range guitar market where Fenders and Gibsons started at $600 to $700.

Adjusting for inflation, $350 is equivalent to $1,150 in 2006.

This is a rock solid guitar with great tones. A lot of people say they're heavy, but I have a 1978 slab-type body (ash) and it weighs just shy of 9 lbs...less than most LP's.

Yet, you can routinely get one of these for $300 to $400 (I have seen some of these go for as much as $800, but they were virtually unplayed and still had the plastic film on the pickguard). That means that, in 30 years, this guitar has not gone up in value from its original purchase price.

There will be a few naysayers who say they're ugly, the neck's too thin (a legitimate complaint if you like thick necks), or they don't like the sound (I find this difficult to comprehend...but everyone's entitled to their opinion), but the majority of the people who play one fall in love.

So, is this the best bang for the buck guitar on the market today?

Here's a crappy picture of mine:

www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Weighs a metric ton...
    -- Jeff
    Beware of counterfeit Shure SM57s

Comment

I never could "bond" with the necks on those guitars. All the ones I tried were on the thin side.

Comment

they're starting to go up in value. which may not mean much with a falling dollar.
        The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Neck's too thin for my taste, but they're not all heavy. There's a gorgeous burst one in a local store here...might weigh 7.5# tops.
          I make hand painted vintage style fuzzes: http://www.lowbroweffects.com

Comment

I actually would like to have one but I do think that they are super ugly----kind of why I want one

Comment

please don't post and hype these up until I have had the chance to purchase one while the prices are still reasonable.

Thanks!

Comment

Weighs a metric ton...

You fail at reading comprehension.
                www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

please don't post and hype these up until I have had the chance to purchase one while the prices are still reasonable.

Thanks!

Think you and I missed out on the Great Deals. I watch a rael nice Black/Maple go for $349. w/BIN in 1-hr. There a drop dead MINT White w/Rosewood board just like Johnny Copelands, the fellow wanted $449 w/BIN? That was still there last time I looked.
                  Damn Right I got the BLUE'S

Ordinary . CAN BE . EXTRAORDINARY.. follow your DREAM!

Comment

BTW they vary in weight A LOT! I have had a few Patriots and Preditors come around the shop. I had a T-60 come through too but the electronics were swapped out and was in terrible shape? Hell what good is it without being original?
                    Damn Right I got the BLUE'S

Ordinary . CAN BE . EXTRAORDINARY.. follow your DREAM!

Comment

Fanuv - I couldn't agree with you more. Personal preference for neck profile aside, T-60's are, IMO, the most undervalued guitars on the used market at this point. Stunning tone, creative electronics and superior build quality throughout and will last a lifetime. The T-40 basses are equally as sweet (though HEAVY). Here are mine:

The T-60 was $200 and the T-40 was $100 (has since been fixed and set up), both with OHSC

Main Guitars: ES339, '73 Tele Deluxe, '73 Guild Bluesbird, '74 Guild S-100C, Heritage H140, G&L ASAT, Rick 330-12, SG Classic, Martin D-1R, Carvin C980

Amps: bassmen heads (BF'65 & SF '67), '68 Champ, '69 VibroChamp, '72 SF NM Super Reverb, '73 Deluxe Reverb, '72 Bandmaster Reverb, Mesa Boogie Studio 22+, Winfield Cyclone head, Traynor YGM-3 & YGM-4, misc. cabs

FX: Fender Reverb Unit, Keeley BD-2, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Dano Fish N' Chips EQ, SD-1, L.R. Baggs PADI

Comment

I have one in Sunbusrt with rosewood fingerboard. Bought it about 15 years ago from an old bandmate that owns a music store. Played in a band with him in the early 60's. I was looking for an electric since I didn't have one at the time. He sold me a T-60 for $90! Very nice solid guitar and can get a wide range of sounds.

I don't think you can go wrong with one of these. I like mine.

Comment

One of the most underrated vintage guitars, period. Not everyone is going to like it, but then not everybody is going to like a vintage Strat or Les Paul either. But for construction, materials and tone they are truly top notch instruments. A blond T-60 was my first real guitar when I was 14 years old. I wish I'd kept it, but I'll be filling the T-60 sized hole in my collection sometime next month. I should have $400 -$450 to spend so I'll be able to get a really nice early ash-body example.
                          You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
                          Frank Zappa

Comment

Well, my opinion should be obvious to anyone that's seen my NGD posts of late - I've bought 2 this month. Never have I felt such a strong urge to own multiples of the same guitar, and the price made it a no-brainer to grab a second, in case it should go up in the future. It's by far the most versatile guitar I've ever played - there's just a stunning array of tones available out of one guitar.

Neck concerns are valid - if you don't like a neck, you don't like a neck. I love the thin T-60 neck now that I'm used to it.

As for heavy, both of mine are under 9 pounds.

Brak, I do think you got one thing inaccurate in the first post - the painted ones are Poplar, not Alder, according to the good folks at the T-60 forum. Never had a Poplar axe before, but my Black T-60 sounds mighty fine...
                            To Oblivion....And Beyond!

Comment

Fanuv - I couldn't agree with you more. Personal preference for neck profile aside, T-60's are, IMO, the most undervalued guitars on the used market at this point. Stunning tone, creative electronics and superior build quality throughout and will last a lifetime. The T-40 basses are equally as sweet (though HEAVY). Here are mine:

The T-60 was $200 and the T-40 was $100 (has since been fixed and set up), both with OHSC

That's a great matched set. My natural ash had the early flat switches that inevitably break off. After the phase switch broke off the manager of the shop where I took lessons replaced both switches with more durable mini toggles.
                              You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
                              Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                              X