Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettin' my Blues on - listeners and critiques wanted! (Tom Waits content)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and ciggies....or somethin'
    Hm. As it happens, there were copious amounts of both involved in the recording. Next time, I'll just punch him in the throat before we go live.

Thanks for listening!
    Crap for Sale/Trade:

Ampeg SVT 410 HLF bass cabinet - $375

Comment

A buddy of mine and I have been working on a cover of Tom Waits's "Hang On St. Christopher," from Frank's Wild Years. Tom's version is pretty much a straight blues progression, but of course, with Tom Waits and Marc Ribot in the same room, things get weird. Awesome, of course, but unusual.

Now, we can't get all Tom Waits on this song, so we decided to approach it as a straight blues number...with a few quirks. In particular, since we don't have a drum set currently available, we totally winged the percussion. In several separate takes, we used a shaker, a tambourine, and hand claps. We also recorded my buddy doing a snare train with drumsticks on a table top, high ride-sounds by whacking beer bottles with drum sticks, and a "bass drum" which was actually me pounding on a briefcase with a wrench.

I'm mostly happy with the outcome. There's one section I need to fix - the second "solo" where we hung on E, but I thought we were going back into A, and that whole solo section is pretty weak. But that's an easy fix.

So let me know what you think. Feel free to rip it to shreds if you feel necessary. I can take it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=742236&content=music

It's obviously the first song.

Technical stuff:

- bass guitar is a G&L L-2000 through a Peavey TNT amp.
      - slide guitar: 1960's Valco/Supro lap steel through a Traynor YCV40WR.
      - rhythm track: G&L ASAT Special through a Fender Prosonic 210.
      - lead guitar: Fender Hwy 1 strat (modified with a SD Lil 59, and SD Vintage Strats) through a Traynor YCV40WR.

That was VERY cool! And I really enjoyed the percussion stuff. That worked out perfectly!
      Good deals with: vangkm, verence, whiteyanderson, DCinDC, Spitfire Mojo, Ashtray, Tweedledee, Atrox, Twisty561, Thinkarogadum, archenemy5150, Flailer, Polk Salad, drummerdarko, T6TexanII

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

I've been to the country. What country needs is meth head songs. That's something the country kids can all relate to.

Comment

You know, I've been listening to some of Waits' earlier stuff (Closing Time, specifically), and if your friend can't quite cop the super-gruff vocals, you might be better served by slowing it down a little, letting him just sing comfortably, and using the guitars to give the track its nastiness.
        Originally Posted by korky1958

And it's a suede vest, not a waistcoat.

Comment

You know, I've been listening to some of Waits' earlier stuff (Closing Time, specifically), and if your friend can't quite cop the super-gruff vocals, you might be better served by slowing it down a little, letting him just sing comfortably, and using the guitars to give the track its nastiness.
          I think it must be my studio setup somehow. He's actually quite a good singer. I've heard him perform live, and he can really nail a lot of vocal sounds. Naturally, he has a very Roy Orbison like voice that comes across well in live situations. I've just never been able to capture it in my recording space.

Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Yo Tom, you old talented Sum a bitch!!! That there is one of the best clips I've ever heard around these parts. And dude, wanna loan me that "****************ty" voice? You could sing circles around the other Tom guarandamnteed.

Saw Reece Witherspoon on Regis the other day and she was talking about how as a teenager at talent camp, she was told to stick to acting and stay away from singing. So what does she win an Oscar for? "I walk the line". Well that gave me a little hope anyway.
            My 9/11 Tribute Song: https://vimeo.com/49284582

The 9/11 Wall of Shame (caught stepping in it):
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s4_dkKn8Y
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Xoxaf1Al0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPzAakHPpk
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7uJ...feature=relmfu
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU961SGps8g

Comment

this rocks man. one of my favorite tom waits tunes. i might steal your arrangement for my band to cover. us covering you covering tom. i dig it.
              Talking about music is like whistling about chickens. - Adrian Belew

Carltone Cigar Box Guitars
              Billy's Ego

Comment

Yo Tom, you old talented Sum a bitch!!! That there is one of the best clips I've ever heard around these parts. And dude, wanna loan me that "****************ty" voice? You could sing circles around the other Tom guarandamnteed.

Saw Reece Witherspoon on Regis the other day and she was talking about how as a teenager at talent camp, she was told to stick to acting and stay away from singing. So what does she win an Oscar for? "I walk the line". Well that gave me a little hope anyway.
                Yeah, that's encouraging, huh? Sort of like what the director wrote at Fred Astaire's first audition: "Can't sing. Can't act. Balding. Can dance a little."

I appreciate the kind words, man. I keep plugging away, y'know?

this rocks man. one of my favorite tom waits tunes. i might steal your arrangement for my band to cover. us covering you covering tom. i dig it.
                That would be incredibly cool. If you do it, and then perform/record it that way, you MUST let me hear it.
                Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Thanks, man. That's a hell of a cool offer. As it happens, I also want to do a cover of "Yesterday Is Here." Want to sing?

i actually used to have a recording of me covering that with my acoustic; but cannot find it for the life of me.

i'm down!
                  Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                  Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

i actually used to have a recording of me covering that with my acoustic; but cannot find it for the life of me.

i'm down!
                    PM sent!
                    Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Singer was straining somewhat, but overall I liked it alot. Tom Waits is great. Sounds like he smoked a carton of Camels, drank a bottle of cheap whiskey, and gargled with broken glass.
                      HCGB #332 YAMAHOLIC

Originally Posted by mistersully

if i was in the jungle and got stuck in quicksand... and someone reached out to me with that guitar and said "here, grab hold of this and i'll pull you out"... i'd try and remember the good times when the grainy goo filled my ears and nostrils

Comment

Sounds like he smoked a carton of Camels, drank a bottle of cheap whiskey, and gargled with broken glass

that's me on any given night!
                        Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                        Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

that's me on any given night!

You must be pretty good, then. Loved my Camels. Now it's cigars and decaf. Probably why I can't sing.
                          HCGB #332 YAMAHOLIC

Originally Posted by mistersully

if i was in the jungle and got stuck in quicksand... and someone reached out to me with that guitar and said "here, grab hold of this and i'll pull you out"... i'd try and remember the good times when the grainy goo filled my ears and nostrils

Comment

Singer was straining somewhat, but overall I liked it alot. Tom Waits is great. Sounds like he smoked a carton of Camels, drank a bottle of cheap whiskey, and gargled with broken glass.
                            I actually hung out with the singer last night, and the first thing he said was, "Dude, I have GOT to redo those vocals."

Crap for Sale/Trade:

Comment

Working...
                            X