Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I ditched the ashtray bridge on my tele.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who f'n cares if he takes the bridge and shoves it up his ass? It's his guitar to mod and a telecaster is not some sacred guitar that isn't to be screwed with. Leo Fender made changes to these guitars all the time. He obviously felt there was room for improvement to the '52 Tele since he made many changes to his original design before he left Fender. I don't see how one can be slighted for modding a component of his guitar that he doesn't like.

You asshats belong in the amp forum.

HNBD.

Comment

Tell me when you're ready to switch back and I'll stop.

^^ This from a guy whose avatar is him playing a Zakk Wilde abortion.

Comment

...in a makeshift studio his wife decorated with blue gingham curtains.

Comment

Seriously guys, I think a lot of people are a little too 'precious' of guitars around here.
          It's a 4 month old, CIJ telecaster. That means it's a NEW guitar. I've taken a new guitar and am gradually turning into what I want from it.

If no one bothered trying these things (not that I'm making myself out to be some great innovator or anything), where would be?

Eddie frankenstrat had a humbucker ripped from a 60's es335 so I understand. See THAT could be saddening. But look at the bigger picture, look what came of it!

It's all an experiment. I've not drilled any additional holes, and I still have the ashtray.

What I'd be interested in, in the future, is taking a wilkinson compensated ashtray bridge, and trimming away the upper side.
          Thing is again, it's altering the bridge!

Bottom line, I don't find ashtray bridges comfortable to play!

Yeah, but do you smoke cigars ?
          "There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless that can not be touched without emotion" Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

pwnt
            ORANGE AMPS
            Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

<--That's me?? Funny, looks alot like Dcooper

^^ This from a guy whose avatar is him playing a Zakk Wilde abortion.
              Originally Posted by adlo76

i used think guitarmandp was a douchebag.
              now i'm certain.

Comment

Other than aesthetic purposes what are the Ashtray covers on Teles and Strats for? Do they contribute to the sound? Just curious...
                "Man who stand on toilet seat is high on pot"

The Squier Army
                The "Official" Stratocaster Club

2010 Gisbon Les Paul Studio
                2001 Fender Fat Strat
                1997 Squire Strat Project

Blackstar HT1RH w/ 1x12 Eminence Cab

Boss ME-50
                Whammy IV -> Vox 847 Wah ->TS9 -> Phase 90 -> DigiDelay -> Boss GE7 EQ

Good Transactions: PunkKitty, MetalGuitar08, conky

Comment

Other than aesthetic purposes what are the Ashtray covers on Teles and Strats for? Do they contribute to the sound? Just curious...

Noticeable difference in sound, at least to my ears. When I'm playing jazz stuff, I keep the ash tray cover on, as the treble output drops. When I'm playing rock, I typically leave it off.
                  Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
                  '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Comment

<--That's me?? Funny, looks alot like Dcooper

Ohhh, man, sorry...you know, I wondered.

Please accept my apology.

Comment

Avatars are powerful psychologically, though.
                      For example, though people knew, logically, that Frets' avatar was William Macy, it still came as a surprise, for some reason, when they discovered that Frets did not resemble William Macy.
                      For me, ArKay's avatar has the same effect. Logically, it makes no sense, but I keep associating the message with the image, so ArKay, on some level, resembles Brian May.

Comment

Hello!

This is rock-lobster's attorney. Rock-lobster is not legally obligated to post personally in any thread of which the subject is:

(a) A new guitar
                        (b) A modification to a guitar

without appropriate pictures validating the topic and content of the original post.

(Translation: PICS!)

Comment

Hello!

This is rock-lobster's attorney. Rock-lobster is not legally obligated to post personally in any thread of which the subject is:

(a) A new guitar
                          (b) A modification to a guitar

without appropriate pictures validating the topic and content of the original post.

(Translation: PICS!)

I might stick some up tomorrow, if only to upset the purists!
                          The right tool, for the right job.

Member of the Marshall Circle of Tone

Comment

. Leo Fender made changes to these guitars all the time. He obviously felt there was room for improvement to the '52 Tele since he made many changes to his original design before he left Fender. I don't see how one can be slighted for modding a component of his guitar that he doesn't like.

You asshats belong in the amp forum.

HNBD.
                            BLASPHEMY!!!

Good NewsSPAMPpP

Comment

Alright, alright, everyone has to admit it at some point, and here I am admitting it.

On this subject gentleman, I was pwnt and exposed as a n00b

I've been strumming around on my tele with that six saddle bridge for a couple of days now. And I have to admit that some of the magic, and love for the guitar has gone without the ashtray.
                              It's that 'clank' and 'springy-ness' that really defines 'that' tele sound. It's just not there without the three saddle bridge

What it sounds like now is more along the lines of a hard-tail strat. Which, for me is a bad thing as I find strats the most boring, generic sounding guitars (contensious I know, but true).

So, I've just been surfing 'the bay', and have just bought this:
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200206464496

This really could be, I think, having my cake and eating it.

I've been thinking for the past couple of days that this is exactly what would be perfect. Well, in a few days I'll let you know.

I have a gig next week. Hopefully I'll have it by then to give a proper road test.
                              The right tool, for the right job.

Member of the Marshall Circle of Tone

Comment

Working...
                              X