Whats the best Les Paul "style" guitar for the money?

wrathchild1

• Members

I used to find that Epiphone wasn't as good as a compatibly priced third-party brand, but now Epi's are very strong. And just over your $500 limit.

Then there are the options like Agile. These are good, well made, very playable guitars. Much, much better than what was available at their price a decade ago.

• Members

I looked at the links.

I'm looking at michael kellys too.

Any 1 ever play one of those?

I was thinking about a SG, but our singer came up with 3 songs in C tuning, I think a thick guitar would sound better. :confused: maybe not.

I just want a think piece of wood. :facepalm:

• Members

this question comes up a few times a year, but i'll chime in anyway

search for a Fernandes Dragonfly Deluxe (now called Elite)

2184642720_503308745d_b.jpg

Solid 1-piece mahogany back, 1 piece AAAAA quilted maple top (real top, not laminate/veneer {censored}), natural binding around body, bound and set neck, 24fret rosewood fretboard. seymour duncan custom 5 pickup @ bridge, '59 at neck. both pickups coil-split via push-pull pots. Grover tuners, gotoh tune-o-matic bridge. Graphite nut

christ this thing has better specs than my LP standard and it only cost me $300 bones + shipping on a dealer closeout. with case too.

if you can get around the doublecut style, the somewhat gaudy quilt top and the 24 fret thing, you'll find it has this crunchy, raunchy, singing tone that absolutely nails that trademark LP vibe. There is nothing on this guitar that needs to be replaced or modded IMO. and i'm a picky guy.

here's a clip of showing its sound (excuse the cheesy basement ex-band, fat guy noodling practice video content):

[YOUTUBE]E6uPxBMRPrA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'd find a used PRS SE Singlecut if I wanted a Les Paul copy for less than $500..

I agree. You should be able to find a nice one for about $250-$400 if you keep an eye out.

Or PRS SE Tremonti for a little less than that

or new a Xaviere XV-500 w/case for about the same

There was a sweet silver sparkle XV700 moded w/GIBSON 490/498 PICKUPS for about a month for $265.00 buy now price that I almost picked up. It looks so sweet. I do not think that he sold it. You can see if he still has it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&item=300290270345

• Members

I'd say the Michael Kellys are outstanding if it doesn't have to be super traditional. Great pickups, great bridge, good tuners. Great overall guitars for the price. Not terribly heavy either.

I've only played a few Agiles, but they are VERY decent as well. I'd go for the 3000 series or higher.

Older Korean Epiphones seem to be pretty respectable as well. Some of the higher end current ones are and occasionally the some of the mid levels are as well but it seems like almost every time I play a 1998-2003 one, it's a very nice guitar.

If if can be a double cut and you don't mind a bolt on neck, Ibanez makes several. I think in the sub $300 price range, the AX series are the best Ibanez puts out. I have an older Korean AX120 that I just can't seem to stop playing and I've seen them go for VERY cheap.

• Members

The Michael Kellys sure look nice. I never played on though. So do some of the new samicks (Greg Bennet). They have a sweet looking goldtop AV-3 for 399 at my local which I am sure could be had for a little less.

If it is the single cut there are tons of options but if you do not mind a strat type body with the other things you want the limits are endless. I bought an Ibanez SZ520 (mahogany body, thick quilted maple cap, locking tuners, set neck with great heel, string thru, travel bag) for less than $200. There was a cool green one that just lapsed on ebay that was priced @ 200 + shipping (I love that color). The guitar rules. Either that or an SZ720 can be had for not much more. I think they are a great bang for your buck. It might not be a Schecter C-1 Classic but it is very close. There are plenty of other models by other companies that are similar. You might even be able to pick up a Hamer USA model slightly used for that much if you are lucky. I know where there is a Hamer USA Special 1982 that has that can had for about $300 because the paint job is not vintage and it has some graphics on it but the entire thing is original with HSC. They say it is like the LP double cut but done right. Let me know if you are interested. It is not mine but I will put you in touch. I have caught my legal limit so I cannot buy for fear of my life. Today is my last NGD for a while.

With $500 you should be able to get a great guitar. LP copy or not.

Archived