How is the (Canadian) Dillion SG?

Mr. Fahrenheit

• Members

Hey there, I've been wanting an SG for a while now, and I see that the SG-style Dillions at JSD's Guitar Shack are back in stock--and they're very appropriately priced in regards to my budget.

Can anyone tell me about them? I'm looking at the red one.

http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/dillion_guitars/dxc-61-62/dillion_sg_guitars.html

Any reviews/hands-on experiences would help.

• Members

You can buy a Epi G400 new for $350 + free shipping from the Fiend.

Yeah, I've played plenty of Epiphone SGs and I haven't really liked the way they felt. I was wondering how the Dillion compared since it's in a similar price range.

Most of the Epis felt kind of clunky and toy-like to me, but I'm sure there are some great ones floating around.

• Members

I had one for a while. It was very decent. I traded into it and had $225 in it. The only physical issue I had was it was definitely neck heavy. More neck heavy than my SG Faded. It felt great playing it... no sharp ends, nice fit everywhere, solid electronics, good tuners and a properly cut nut.

I didn't think they pickups were exceptional at all. The 490s in my Faded were much better and a lot of folks think those aren't really all that great.

I haven't owned any of the recent G400 Epis, but I've played a few of them... probably 8 or 10. They definitely vary in quality, but the two nicest ones I've played, I definitely thought were superior to the Dillion but my guess is the Dillions will be more consistent.

I definitely wouldn't pay the full price for a Dillion SG based on my experience, I'd get a G400 after playing everyone I could find or would seek out a used Faded Gibson.

P1060345a1.jpg

• Members

I had one for a while. It was very decent. I traded into it and had $225 in it. The only physical issue I had was it was definitely neck heavy. More neck heavy than my SG Faded. It felt great playing it... no sharp ends, nice fit everywhere, solid electronics, good tuners and a properly cut nut.

I didn't think they pickups were exceptional at all. The 490s in my Faded were much better and a lot of folks think those aren't really all that great.

I haven't owned any of the recent G400 Epis, but I've played a few of them... probably 8 or 10. They definitely vary in quality, but the two nicest ones I've played, I definitely thought were superior to the Dillion but my guess is the Dillions will be more consistent.

I definitely wouldn't pay the full price for a Dillion SG based on my experience, I'd get a G400 after playing everyone I could find or would seek out a used Faded Gibson.

Thanks so much for the info.

Neck heavy is to be expected of course, it is an SG, but that's not something that really bothers me--I have an idea of what to expect based on all of the other SGs I've tooled around with.

I kind of figured the pickups might not be great, but I suppose if I really hated them I could buy a new set from GFS.

I haven't played any of the recent Epiphone SGs, but I spent a bit of time with several of them in the last few years and I honestly didn't really like them.

My main hang-up about the Fadeds is that, for me, I don't like them very much stock, and a stock Faded is a lot more expensive (even used) than a copy + upgrades. The construction on the Fadeds felt pretty great, but I didn't care at all for the pickups, and--although this isn't very important--they're kind of bland aesthetically.

More than anything I'd just like to have a normal Standard (with a few minor mods), but even used they're still a bit to pricey for me.

• Members

I hear ya. I'm far from a Gibson fanboy (I've sold every Gibson I've ever owned because I found them rather blah) but for me... with both of them in my possession for several months, the Faded felt better and that was the main difference.

Like I said, I had $225 in the Dillion and the Faded was $360 used at Guitar Center. Around here, used Fadeds are almost always $400. Mine was a little less because they had about 4 of them used, right when they dropped the price on the new ones to $600.

Tone wise, the Gibson absolutely sounded better, but I'm a clean to low gain guy... Sometimes getting into medium gain. I'd say Led Zep and AC/DC are the most gain I ever play. To my ears, the Gibson sounded about 10 times as good, esp on the neck pickup.

I grew to really like the faded brown on the Gibson. The Dillion has the classic glossy cherry finish which almost everyone loves and honestly, it looked absolutely spectacular on the Dillion. I bought a set of covered 490s for my SG for just a little more pop aesthetically, but never installed them and used them in another project.

P1070065a1.jpg

• Members

I hear ya. I'm far from a Gibson fanboy (I've sold every Gibson I've ever owned because I found them rather blah) but for me... with both of them in my possession for several months, the Faded felt better and that was the main difference.

Like I said, I had $225 in the Dillion and the Faded was $360 used at Guitar Center. Around here, used Fadeds are almost always $400. Mine was a little less because they had about 4 of them used, right when they dropped the price on the new ones to $600.

Tone wise, the Gibson absolutely sounded better, but I'm a clean to low gain guy... Sometimes getting into medium gain. I'd say Led Zep and AC/DC are the most gain I ever play. To my ears, the Gibson sounded about 10 times as good, esp on the neck pickup.

I grew to really like the faded brown on the Gibson. The Dillion has the classic glossy cherry finish which almost everyone loves and honestly, it looked absolutely spectacular on the Dillion. I bought a set of covered 490s for my SG for just a little more pop aesthetically, but never installed them and used them in another project.

Thanks. I don't shop at Guitar Center, but I'll try and keep a lookout for some less expensive Fadeds. My only real issue is that I'd want to throw in different pickups (covered ones, but mainly because I didn't like the set on any of the Fadeds I played) and a different pickguard, which means more money and time sunk into a guitar that I honestly don't really need since I don't play in a band or anything. I just do it for fun.

All of my guitars are either Fenders or Fender-style, and I just want something different--mahogany + humbuckers, and I like SGs the most. I'd rather get one that I wouldn't have to do much to other than swap out the pickguard (I want to put a white one on).

I like the color on the brown one, though. :)

Archived