X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK tell me about the Fender '65 Deluxe reverb

Or the DRRI.

I'm beginning to think that I am a cleaner man than I originally realised.

But, I can't find one anywhere to try. I tried the Princeton, and really liked it and understand the DRRI is better. My only frame of reference are the models of it, which I sense really really don't even begin to do it justice. Is it any good when breaking up? I don't need much overdrive for my uses, but what does it sound like cranked? Is it equally good with singles, P90s and humbuckers?

thank 'e kindly.
    My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

My band:

Follow me on twitter

Comment

My all time best amp purchase. Can't go wrong with it. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

I've tried it once - but used a very nice pedal with it for overdrive in a shop in sweden. The clean were alright though I thought not spectacular.

The only Fender amp I really would like to have is the Bassman reissue.
        Now THAT was very nice...... but no gain other than overdrive. But you can excuse that oversight as it comes as a nice 4*10.........

Edit: I did not try it cranked as was in a shop.

And
        Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

I think the DRRI is the best amp you can find for the money.. I found mine used at a GC for around 600 dollars.

Let's see -

1) The cleans are sweet as mother's milk. I could not imagine a much purer sounding clean on a tube amp. It's not sterile or brittle - but warm with a nice clear top-end. I'd imagine if you used really bright pick-ups it might get bright to the point of brittle - but you could adjust that out.

2) The reverb and vibrato on this unit sound like old Fender tube amps - in other words it's all-kinds-of-awesome.

3) MY experience is - as long as you know how to dial in tones with your pedals correctly - then this amp takes pedals great. You don't need a boutique overdrive pedal to make this thing sing - just use like a BOSS OD and be cure not to turn the Drive up to high and you've got yourself a professional tone.

As for the other poster's comments about the Bassman - that's an apples-to-oranges comparison.. Black face and tweed should not really be compared that way.

In final - there may be better amps but most of them will cost a small fortune. I think for the money this is the best production-line amp being made.

Comment

As for the other poster's comments about the Bassman - that's an apples-to-oranges comparison.. Black face and tweed should not really be compared that way.

Somebody said orange????

Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

The DRRI's are as terrific an amp as you can get if you love cleans and delicious reverb. Takes pedals sweetly as well. Never had the occasion to take one to breakup.
              Campbell UK-1
              http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
              https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

Im a fan of the DRRI, too.
                there are enough fans out there if you buy used and dont like it, you will be paying nearly the same price.
                Originally Posted by DaveAronow

Tell them your name is Batotman, and send them a box of cat ****************.

Comment

The DR is probably the most commonly used amp in rock-and-roll.
                  It's got that great Fender blackface clean sound. And it overdrives nicely at
                  low volumes. I think it's the perfect amp in terms of watts, size and weight for most applications. If you need more volume or headroom...mic it to the PA. A couple of observations:

The reissues are built using PC board circuitry and the tubes can sometimes "rattle" at high volumes compared to the expensive originals.
                  You can address these issues with "tube dampers"

In the 90's there weren't decent 6V6 tubes made and Deluxe amps were getting a bad reputation because of that. Now 6V6 tubes are being made with better quality and the DR is making a comeback as a gigging amp.

The sound is there...it might be slightly different compared to an original...but in term of maintenance, risk of theft giiging with it, and the cost of the vintage originals...I think the reissues are more practical.
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                    My band:

Follow me on twitter

Comment

I love my DRRI. It sounded good stock but I went ahead and upgraded the speaker to a Weber 12F150 and it sounds even better.

These amps tend to be a fairly bright. I mainly play through it with a tele so it was bordering on ice-pickiness (is that a word?). A real simple mod is to clip the "bright" capacitor. I actually modded mine with a switch where I can turn the bright cap off or on depending on the sound I'm looking for. It's pretty subtle when it's disengaged but it definitely smooths the highs out a little bit.

Also, for some reason they used a linear pot for the reverb control. I swapped mine out for a logarithmic pot and the reverb is much more usable now.

IMHO you can't go wrong with one. They work great with every guitar I've played through it. I usually have my amp miced up for gigs so I've never really got the volume past 4 and it's still plenty loud. I have cranked it up at home and it starts breaking up nicely about 6 o'clock. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Main sound: Tele > DRRI
                      --------------------------------------
                      Good deals with: RKBassGuyNJ, HanSolo, thesockmonster
                      --------------------------------------
                      They can't see me...I'm in the Spirit World

Comment

Sometimes it's just easier to use the "normal" channel to avoid the bright cap.
                        But then you don't get reverb/"tremolo"

Personally I love a brgh
                        "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

I have a 1971 Deluxe Reverb that has been my main amp for years...

Here it is with some pedals on 1.5 (mine has a Greenback in it)

Here is it opened up all of the way with no pedals - Les Paul and strat sounds:

Vote for me on Truefire.coms "Next Top Guitar Instructor" contest
                          McFeely Custom Guitars Artist
                          MarkWein.com

Comment

Or the DRRI.

I'm beginning to think that I am a cleaner man than I originally realised.

But, I can't find one anywhere to try. I tried the Princeton, and really liked it and understand the DRRI is better. My only frame of reference are the models of it, which I sense really really don't even begin to do it justice. Is it any good when breaking up? I don't need much overdrive for my uses, but what does it sound like cranked? Is it equally good with singles, P90s and humbuckers?

thank 'e kindly.

I had a '66 for several years, it was a great amp but started giving me trouble, because the newer 6V6's (Sovtek) couldn't take the plate voltage, even rebiased they just shorted out after a few months, killing the amp. It's a good thing I know how to repair amps. Finally I got some NOS RCA 6V6's and that solved the problem.

The thing about 6V6's is they tend to break up a little faster than 6L6's which may or may not be something you like. For a while I put a set of 6L6's out of my Twin into my Deluxe, they broke up faster than the 6V6's because they were running under powered, sounded kind of nice. I bet I could have kept them in there and never burned them out.
                            The biggest obstacle to your success is you.

Comment

I had a '66 for several years, it was a great amp but started giving me trouble, because the newer 6V6's (Sovtek) couldn't take the plate voltage, even rebiased they just shorted out after a few months, killing the amp. It's a good thing I know how to repair amps. Finally I got some NOS RCA 6V6's and that solve.

My biggest worry is whats going to happen when I can't find NOS RCA tubes anymore? My 1971 eats everything else....
                              Vote for me on Truefire.coms "Next Top Guitar Instructor" contest
                              McFeely Custom Guitars Artist
                              MarkWein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X