Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you kidding? I understand that when you're talking about something made from a bunch of seperate parts like a guitar that there is going to be a pretty wide range of variance, but these things are spit out of a frickin machine and are comprised of about 10 parts and that's being generous.

I'm just kind of amazed that they'd vary that much. They do work very well though.
    AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

They vary a lot
      My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
      Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
      Marshall DSL50

Comment

I bought a cts pot and ****************ed it up. It had like 5 solder pints on the back and I didn't let it cool. It was just stuck in place. When it would move it would hit little ponts of resistance.

That's my fault though.
        Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.Charvel So Cals More Guitars Amp PedalsMy Band Site w/ Player

Comment

Are you kidding? I understand that when you're talking about something made from a bunch of seperate parts like a guitar that there is going to be a pretty wide range of variance, but these things are spit out of a frickin machine and are comprised of about 10 parts and that's being generous.

I'm just kind of amazed that they'd vary that much. They do work very well though.

They are built with relatively wide mechanic tolerance in at least three different countries...USA, Mexico, and Taiwan...and on several different price and quality levels depending on dealer or distributor.

You want the best CTS pots, Dimarzio pots are OEM-made by CTS and are higher quality than those used/sold by either Gibson, Fender, Guitar Center or Mojo.

Comment

I'm really not that picky when it comes to my pots.. I only really chuck the "dime" sized ones and pick up a random "quarter" from wherever/partsbin. I only have two CTS pots between two different mutants, and there is a noticeable difference but I don't really mind it.
            Video evidence of Yesticles playing live at Random (expletive deleted) Hole, Warren, MI on 11/2/2012.Free "music!"

Comment

I feel like I've been to skool today.
              And my wife says you guys are useless...

EG

Hey! I AM useless!
              Your wife was right....
              How am I expected to write my signature in this space?

Comment

I've always had good luck with cts post as far as reliability. I've also never noticed a wide range in stiffness. Maybe I'm just lucky? I have been getting from my fave geetar store and I always turn them before purchase, but I don't recall ever feeling a stiffy (don't go there!)
                Irresponsible is what boring people call fun people

Comment

yeah. quality-wise they are all great, but in my experience, they vary a lot in stiffness. Never had a really stiff one though. Got a bout 25-40 of them in my shop right now and a few of those will always be quite loose. I get mine from Allparts FWIW
                  My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                  Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                  Marshall DSL50

Comment

That's also why you shouldn't spray them with contact cleaner. The cleaner flushes out the lube too.

Right! People here use the term contact cleaner when they mean contact cleaner with lube. Most contact cleaners strip out the lube too.
                    Straight-Jacket memories, and Sedative highs... the Good Old Days.

Comment

You can easily turn a stiff CTS pot into a looser one by taking the cover off and bending the wiper contacts that touch the resitive carbon strip back a little bit. I have done this mod dozens of times and it works like a charm. Takes less than 10 minutes to do.

Now stop yer bitchin'! ;-)

Comment

CTS makes a lot of different pots. The ones that turn the easiest are the Mojo CTS, and also the Fender CTS. The ones with the dimple turn easiest.

stuff:
                        52RI Tele
                        Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                        more stuff:
                        65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                        Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I actually like a good stiff pot. I'm heavy-handed and tend to overshoot the mark I'm going for with a loose pot.
                          Mazi Bee Militia!
                          JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                          PpP
                          My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Working...
                          X