What's the point of a compound radius neck?

wanderoo222

• Members

No, it's designed so that as the natural angle of your hand changes in its orientation to the fretboard as you move it further away or closer to your body AND the fretboard widens closer to the guitar body, the shape of the neck and its thickness changes to make the contour of the neck more ergonomic for your fretting.

My stepson has an older Ibanez (forget which model) that absolutely feels amazing in that respect. I have maybe one guitar that's pretty good at that, but his Ibanez is damn near shocking the first time you play it, it just feels responsive to your position on the neck. And this comment is coming from someone who is generally fairly ambivalent to neck shapes.

• Moderators

My opinion?.....It's a useful byproduct of a production consideration.

Compound radius is cheaper to produce on a fretboard where the sides of the fretboard need to be parallel along the length, but the width tapers from bridge pickup end to nut....draw it on a piece of paper and you'll see why it makes sense to have 9-12" radius at nut end and 14-16" radius from the second octave

• Members

Compound radius is cheaper to produce on a fretboard where the sides of the fretboard need to be parallel along the length, but the width tapers from bridge pickup end to nut....draw it on a piece of paper and you'll see why it makes sense to have 9-12" radius at nut end and 14-16" radius from the second octave

Very cool observation,RC. I had never considered it from a production standpoint.

• Members

I don't think compound radius is cheaper to produce. It's actually more complicated a shape to manufacture. But it is a good thing and every fretboard should be made that way. There is no downside that I can imagine and you get lower, more confortable action all along the fretboard. Lead guitar bends don't "fret out" and chording is easier at the first position.

The easiest way to visualize this is the simple fact that because the fretboard is narrower at the nut than at the other end, the strings actually converge to a point in space instead of being parallel. As such, they can be looked at as lines lying along a CONE instead of a CYLINDER. For the strings to be correctly aligned with the fingerboard, the fretboard needs to be shaped like a cone surface too.

Of course this wouldn't hold true if the fretboard wasn't tapered and the strings were parallel (like on a classical) In that case a cylinder or no radius at all would be best.

There's really no reason all tapered fretboards aren't compound radius. (Other than they might be more complex and expensive to make.)

You get lower overall action and better playability. Maybe in situations where you WANT high action like slide guitar...or those old blues guys who bend strings by getting their fretting hand UNDER adjacent strings. Other than that EVERY fretboard benefits from a compound radius and it's a lot of what PLEK shaping does to improve playability.

It's more expensive and complicated. Not a byproduct of cheaper manufacturing. That's why it's not seen in most guitars. In my experience, the only major manufacturers that offer it are Carvin, Warmoth and Charvel. There might be a few custom builders....

• Moderators

In my experience, the only major manufacturers that offer it are Carvin, Warmoth and Charvel. There might be a few custom builders....

Coincidentally ^^^^those offer unbound ebony fretboards, and I think you'll find more and more companies offering compound radii fretboards these days, it makes life much easier

Archived