James Taylor video on tuning.

sammyreynolds01

• Members

I book marked that.

It was interesting and makes sense. I always have tuned spot on, but I've often noticed that if I correct by ear, it's often not exactly what the tuner would have led me to do.

A mistake alot of people make is when they tune, they don't hit the string at the same touch was when they play. If you hit the strings hard when you play then hit them like that when you tune.

• Members

No. The whole tuning a certain cent flat. I knew a guy when I was younger that used to tune his g string 15 cents flat and for some reason his guitar always seemed to be in tune to my ears.

lol, sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the interwebz. If you want to tune to a certain chord or for a capo or whatever, go for it. I'm all over the board whenever I play, I find no need to compensate for the intonation of certain chords/strings.

• Members

A mistake alot of people make is when they tune, they don't hit the string at the same touch was when they play. If you hit the strings hard when you play then hit them like that when you tune.

When first picked, a string rings sharp and then flattens as the vibration dies. So do you tune for when the note is first picked or when its ringing? Me, I let it settle down some.

• Members

Tuning for me is to bring my strings spot on. I then play the natural E chord, A chord, and D chord. Adjust on each chord as needed. I may have been doing this style or something similar by adjusting my strings in relation to the chord. I'll have to look for a tuner that has percents so that I can tell if that's what I have been doing.

• Members

Tuning for me is to bring my strings spot on. I then play the natural E chord, A chord, and D chord. Adjust on each chord as needed. I may have been doing this style or something similar by adjusting my strings in relation to the chord. I'll have to look for a tuner that has percents so that I can tell if that's what I have been doing.

Not per cents, cents.

I found that fascinating. Taylor's acoustic work has always been remarkable for many reasons, one of them being how well the guitar always sounds in tune. Clearly, Taylor has always had a very discerning ear. Others whose sense of pitch is not as discerning will be able to tolerate (might not even hear) pitch problems. I found Taylor's strategy for tuning his acoustic fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

• Members

I've always reasoned that pitch problems will be noticed on notes/chords that are held, not ones quickly passed through.

Do you want the note to sound good when you pick it or after it decays for a 2 seconds? Most of the time you're not going to let your a chord or a note decay for a long period of time. There's a reason why he does this. Most acoustics don't have a compensated bridge and can't be intonated. Takamine guitars are better than most because some of their guitars it not all at this point have compensated saddles. I tried this method on this on my acoustic and it sounded in tune.

• Members

The one thing I was wonder with his recommended settings is - what if I don't plan on using a capo?

I think some of what he's saying holds true either way, but OTOH, a capo really does seem to raise the pitch more than finger fretting or the string's ringing.

• Members

He does have a great ear. Of course, with different guitars, strings, saddles, etc the tuning will probably be different as well.

Not
per
cents, cents.

I found that fascinating. Taylor's acoustic work has always been remarkable for many reasons, one of them being how well the guitar always sounds in tune. Clearly, Taylor has always had a very discerning ear. Others whose sense of pitch is not as discerning will be able to tolerate (might not even hear) pitch problems. I found Taylor's strategy for tuning his acoustic fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

Archived