Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Changing the Neck Change the Sound?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Changing the Neck Change the Sound?

Can changing from a thick maple neck/maple fretboard to a thin maple neck/rosewood fretboard alter the sound of the guitar?

a little bit. it will change the feel more than anything.

stuff:
    52RI Tele
    Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
    more stuff:
    65 Twin Reverb Reissue
    Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

Yes. Considering string energy produces the tone and the neck and fretboard materials affect how much of that energy is absorbed or not by those materials, combined with what affect those materials might have in the timbre of the resulting tone (based on which frequencies are absorbed or passed on).

But "how much?" is the big question. On that
      A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I switch necks on my bodies all the time. While it is not as profound as the body has on the sound, you can hear it. I'll go body 80% neck 20%.
        MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

maybe for the better.

Comment

Welcome to one of the most hotly-contested argument on this forum. It's really a matter of opinion: some forumites claim to hear a difference while others think it's snake oil. Personally, I think it does make a significant difference but it's one facet of a larger whole (body, pickups, amp, etc.).
            Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

I fall in the yes group. Especially if they are of different thicknesses.
              SX SEG1STD,KY1 (CUS22,ASH22,STD24),STL50,SST (57,Ash,SE,LTD2),GG1LTD2,GG6CUS,GG7CUS,SJB75C4+1 (fretted,fretless),SJB (2-57,2-62),SPJ62,2-SB301 (fretted,fretless)
              Douglas Shadow,WRL590,TL100,WOB826,WPB955,2-WPB980
              Brice Z6 (fretted,fretless)
              Agile AL2000 (minihum,prail),AL2500 (Albino,12) ,AL3000 (reg,neck-thru)
              Squier Affinity Tele,Deluxe Jazz V
              Oscar Schmidt OE40
              Raven RP450,Yamaha BB404,Switch Signature Wild IV
              First Act VE591,semi-hollow; PRS SE (Custom, Soapbar II,semi-hollow)

Comment

There's a few parts of the guitar you can change without there being any impact on the tone - the neck isn't one of them.

Comment

The sum of all the above answers I find myself in strong agreement with, pretty substantial difference between a modern thin neck, 21mm and a full 50s neck 25.4mm
                  Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

I'll also say yes, but after owning over 300 electrics over the years the biggest change to MY ears was when I went from 9-46 to 10-52 strings.
                    I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99
                      View Post

I'll also say yes, but after owning over 300 electrics over the years the biggest change to MY ears was when I went from 9-46 to 10-52 strings.

better or worse or just different?

In what way?

I ask because I am looking at 3 packs of 9s and three guitars with 10s on.
                      Rules for a Happy Life:
                      Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
                      I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.

Originally Posted by aenemated
                      doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch.
                      Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Comment

Working...
                      X