No announcement yet.

Need Good Kids 3/4 size Electric guitar advice

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Good Kids 3/4 size Electric guitar advice

My daughter is taking guitar lessons and is doing great. She is using a 3/4 size Yamaha acoustic to learn on. She really wants an electric guitar and keeps asking me for one. I would like to get her one as a gift after her upcoming recital. It will be a reward for working hard and practicing.

I have looked at the Squier Mini, and the Ibanez Mikro. I would like to spend $200.00 or less. Anyone have any experience with a small electric guitar she could use for a few years?

Thanks,

AccurateOne

Squier Mini is your best bet.

Comment

The Ibanez Mikro.. That's what my daughter is gonna get when the time comes..
      Signature...

Comment

^^^^^

+1
        Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

Comment

What about a Daisy Rock, not sure how they are quality wise but built for a girl.
          Guitars
          Gibson LPVM
          Washburn WI46 - $250 shipped
          SX KY1 - $150 shipped
          SX GG1 - $125 shipped, shaved neck, Epiphone Les Paul pickups
          Kramer 100ST
          Silvertone Jupiter
          Washburn D10CEQSB
          Squire Hello Kitty

Amps
          Peavey Valveking 1x12
          Crate V8
          Silvertone 1482

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD
            View Post

The Ibanez Mikro.. That's what my daughter is gonna get when the time comes..

Yup - we just got my daughter one and she's happy. It feels "real" and stays in tune (open tuning G D D G B D).

"No one ever goes to heaven deservingly
            and no one ever goes to hell unwillingly."
            -CS Lewis

Comment

I bought a Squier mini for my son.

I do not recommend one at all.

No experience with the ibanez.

Comment

SX from Rondo?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sst6234vwh.html

Comment

I am looking at the Ibby for my daughter. but the baby v I just got my son is pretty cool, and plays great.
                  Great Deals

Originally Posted by jjpistols

Damn son! Not only are you a master dealer, I also crown you king of the multiquote!

PLATINUM TRADER + 20

M*B*M
                  SG ARMY: pfc, res.
                  Ibanez Art Corps

Comment

How big is your daughter? I was contemplating a 3/4 sized guitar for my nephew but after trying a bunch, I realized I was better off getting a full-sized axe instead. I went with an LTD EC-50. He's not getting it until July but I was blown away by how good it is for the $$$.

BTW, Daisy Rock makes a solid product, too. I've even seen male pros swinging those beasties onstage.
                    Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder
                      View Post

...the baby v I just got my son is pretty cool, and plays great.

I'd also suggest the Dean 'Baby' series.... 3/4-sized bodies with full-scale (24.75") necks I had one for a while that played really well, but it felt like I was playing a toy.

My 5-year-old, otoh, has one of those Maestro (epi) mini V's... it's a real POS. She only has the strumming part down so far, though, so I set it to an open tuning. That way, she can beat the crap out of it with somewhat pleasant-sounding results while she makes up her songs.

Comment

I got my daughter a mini squire. I tune it up a tone.

Comment

Peavey T15 - has a really narrow neck and is a fun guitar, maybe a bit on the heavy size for a kid. I had one briefly but the neck was to thin for me. The pups were raunchy in a good way
                          My Gear
                          Schecter Corsair
                          TelePartsCaster x3
                          Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                          Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                          Vox VT15
                          Fender SCXD
                          Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                          Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
                          Vox AC4C1 amp
                          Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

If you want something with a little Mojo get a used MIM Duo-Sonic. They are usually available for under $200. My daughter loves hers. They will hold their value if you ever think about trading for a full size. My daughter is almost 16 now but would never give hers up.

BTW, this pic isn't my daughter's guitar. Hers is red with white and maple but I love this custom paint job.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Alecto
                              View Post

BTW, Daisy Rock makes a solid product, too. I've even seen male pros swinging those beasties onstage.

I can vouch for full-sized DRs - have a Retro-H and tested a bunch of others; don't know about the 3/4 sized versions, but given that their QC is generally very strong I'd be willing to bet on them.

Hard to iron out full-size vs 3/4 size vs 24" etc without in-person tests. Kids fit differently, and it's hard to predict - some like a fatter neck, some like a heavier body, etc. Best to try before you buy, as usual.
                              Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

Comment

Working...
                              X