Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Fat Tele wiring help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Tele wiring help

Hi folks I'm currently building a fat Tele out of spares using a

Tv jones classic humbucker in the neck

And a fender 62 custom ri bridge pickup

What I want to do is use a traditional Tele control setup ( three way switch,1x vol, 1x tone) but wire the neck pickup to the vol only

The tone pot will only be on the bridge pickup

Anyone know of a diagram I can use for this? What pot values would you use??

Thanks!

Keith

As for a wiring diagram ,I don't know. I would get out the soldering iron and just work it out.

For pot value I would go with at least 500k

If coil tapping is a consideration maybe you could go with a 5 or even 7 way switch.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn
      View Post

wire the neck pickup to the vol only

The tone pot will only be on the bridge pickup

Why? Seriously...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;It's all sratched up, Zuzu&quot;</div><br><br>Your wattage may vary

Comment

i had that for a while when my tele had a humbucker in the neck. if i remember correctly, you simply need to cut a jumper wire between the volume and tone controls. that said, the tone function will work on both pickups when the middle pickup selector position is in use.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://commonsensemets.tumblr.com" target="_blank">The Common Sense Mets Fan</a><br />
        <br />
        <i>There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that &quot;my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.&quot; - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)</i></div>

Comment

Connect the tone pot to the same lug on the switch as the bridge pup. Depending on the rest of your wiring scheme it may be in circuit in the middle pos.

Check here for more ideas

https://sites.google.com/site/phoste...2-pickup-teles
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
          <b><u>My Gear</u></b><br />
          Schecter Corsair<br />
          TelePartsCaster x3 <br />
          Dano Convertible<br />
          <br />
          Taylor 114<br />
          Gretsch Americana<br />
          <br />
          Vox Pathfinder 15R <br />
          Vox VT15<br />
          Fender SCXD<br />
          Yamaha THR5<br />
          <br />
          <b><u>For Sale:</u></b><br />
          <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2974008-Seagull-acoustic-Gibson-electric-and-3-Duncan-pickups" target="_blank">Duncan Pickups</a><br />
          <br />
          <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2959286-BG-Pups-Tele-Rockwind-set" target="_blank">BG Pups Tele Set</a><br />
          <br />
          <b><u>Looking For:</u></b><br />
          Vox AC4C1 amp<br />
          Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)<br />
          </font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by akapuli
            View Post

Why? Seriously...

Because on the other fat Tele I have the neck pickup goes muddy with the tone pot rolled off at all, even just a little bit

So I only use it wide open (it has a no-load pot)

but the single coil in the bridge I would normally use rolled off a bit to take the edge off

This makes quick changes between neck and bridge difficult

so I figure why bother with having a tone pot on the neck pickup at all??

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
              View Post

Connect the tone pot to the same lug on the switch as the bridge pup. Depending on the rest of your wiring scheme it may be in circuit in the middle pos.

Check here for more ideas

https://sites.google.com/site/phoste...2-pickup-teles

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
              View Post

i had that for a while when my tele had a humbucker in the neck. if i remember correctly, you simply need to cut a jumper wire between the volume and tone controls. that said, the tone function will work on both pickups when the middle pickup selector position is in use.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

use 500K pots w/ .022 cap and the tone knobber should work on both the neck and bridge. 500K is fine for all but the brightest-twangiest tele bridge pickups e.g. low wind (<7k)with A5

only concern i would have with your set-up is if you get a large volume drop when going from the neck to bridge, if the TV jones are like most humbuckers a lot louder than most singles especially 60s tele style which should be low output...Id go with a broadcaster type bridge like SD Broadcaster or Fred Stuart Lap Wrap, Rumpelstiltskin 1950 etc; unless the TV jones isnt very high output then a 52Ri, Nocaster or Lollar 52 bridge PUP might be able to hang with it.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="darkgreen">________________________________ _________________</font><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1"><font color="darkgreen">stuff:</font></font><br />
                <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">52RI Tele</font></font><br />
                <font size="1"><font color="darkorange">Gibson SG 1970s Tribute</font></font><br />
                <font size="1"><font color="green">more stuff:</font></font><br />
                <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">65 Twin Reverb Reissue</font></font><br />
                <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate</font></font><br />
                <br />
                <br />
                <font face="Century Gothic"><font color="teal"><i>The REAL Angry</i></font></font></div>

Comment

Working...
                X