Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan of fanned frets

Yes , though not all that common they really are fantastic . I wonder why you don't see them on more instruments . It took me forever to actually play one but it was instant love.

Ma Dingwall does it right but I'd love to see a Fanned strat

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
    Nikola Tesla

is that what they call 'multi-scale'?

Comment

The bending of notes is what I don't like about fan fret guitars.

You have to push the strings farther when you're bending upwards.
      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb
        View Post

it is an extended scale with a 37" E string but it's "Normal ", perhaps you mean microtonal/quartertonal scale ? That it is not .
        "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
          View Post

The bending of notes is what I don't like about fan fret guitars.

You have to push the strings farther when you're bending upwards.

I have not experienced that , I'll give it some bends this weekend but I would think that is a small trade off , the other being chord positions are a little tight way up high , no biggie though .
          Nikola Tesla

Comment

There are several challenges to designing and building fanned fret instruments. Nothing monumentally difficult, but still it's not as simple as the typical fretboard slotting operation and thus requiring more labor unless you're CNC'ed. I'm going through the preliminary design process on a fanned fret bass myself, and trying to do so without having to make yet another custom case. There is also the issue of the patent that Ralph Novak holds and the costs that may entail to license, but not sure what the current status is on that.

The other "problem" is acceptance, although bass players tend to be more open minded when it comes to the non-traditional. Couple that with the additional effort and expense of producing them, and you're going to find that the big companies are hesitant to jump into production.

Fanned fret Strats are out there, and Novax sells the necks.

SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
            Lulu Edition
            Kindle Edition
            iTunes iBookstore
            Nook Edition

Comment

To add to the discussion, here are a couple Fleishman basses with multiscale necks. The one on the left is fretless, and yes the same principle applies.

SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
              Lulu Edition
              Kindle Edition
              iTunes iBookstore
              Nook Edition

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb
                View Post

ah ok after a quick look around you are correct , it means a multiple scale fretboard and infact my Dingwall is one , it has a 37" E and an 34" G string .
                Nikola Tesla

Comment

Rondo has some with fanned frets I find curious.
                  -^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MahaloVision
                    View Post

To add to the discussion, here are a couple Fleishman basses with multiscale necks. The one on the left is fretless, and yes the same principle applies.

Those are sweet . I see there is endless ways to interpret the amount of fan , Dingwall has his way and others are doing their thing . Dingwall has it nailed down though no question .
                    Nikola Tesla

Comment

do they put them on cool looking guitars too or are they a feature on butt ugly ones only?

stuff:
                      52RI Tele
                      Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                      more stuff:
                      65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                      Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I ain't a bass player but they all look cool to me.

Comment

In highschool one of my friends dads had a danelectro styled guitar with fanned frets, the headstock said 'Fanelectro'. Can't really find anything about them though.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele
                            View Post

do they put them on cool looking guitars too or are they a feature on butt ugly ones only?

Comment

Working...
                            X