Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamming with others ?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't particularly like playing with other people. Its probably a result of me being such an introverted person. I've never really done much of it, so whenever I'm a situation where it happens, it ends up feeling really awkward. I'm also not a particularly assertive person when it comes to playing, so I get stepped on a lot, and I get annoyed. In terms of playing ability, I'm not a very good lead player, mostly because I've never cared enough to learn how to do it; in a jam, that means all I can do is provide backing for other people to solo over, and that's insanely boring. It doesn't help that most musicians I know aren't into the same music as I am, so I end up not even liking the music we end up playing. I also never really feel the need to show off stuff I do creatively, so I never even feel the need to play with others in the first place. It's just something I don't really care about, and when it happens, doesn't go well.

The only time I don't mind it is in situations where I'm writing with one or two people (at the very most) that I like, can work with, and share similar tastes in music. That's incredibly rare for me, and it's only happened a couple of times. I haven't been in a band in years and I haven't felt like joining on since.
    Spam:
    Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

I don't particularly like playing with other people. Its probably a result of me being such an introverted person. I've never really done much of it, so whenever I'm a situation where it happens, it ends up feeling really awkward. I'm also not a particularly assertive person when it comes to playing, so I get stepped on a lot, and I get annoyed. In terms of playing ability, I'm not a very good lead player, mostly because I've never cared enough to learn how to do it; in a jam, that means all I can do is provide backing for other people to solo over, and that's insanely boring. It doesn't help that most musicians I know aren't into the same music as I am, so I end up not even liking the music we end up playing. I also never really feel the need to show off stuff I do creatively, so I never even feel the need to play with others in the first place. It's just something I don't really care about, and when it happens, doesn't go well.

The only time I don't mind it is in situations where I'm writing with one or two people (at the very most) that I like, can work with, and share similar tastes in music. That's incredibly rare for me, and it's only happened a couple of times. I haven't been in a band in years and I haven't felt like joining on since.
      Spam:
      Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

I always tell my guitar students the best way to learn is to play with other musicians of similar skill level. There are some things you can only learn through experience.

Having said that, there's nothing worse than aimless jamming. It helps to establish a form from the outset, and a leader is necessary with larger groups.
        Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band
        Eight Foot Manchild

Comment

I always tell my guitar students the best way to learn is to play with other musicians of similar skill level. There are some things you can only learn through experience.

Having said that, there's nothing worse than aimless jamming. It helps to establish a form from the outset, and a leader is necessary with larger groups.
          Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band
          Eight Foot Manchild

Comment

I'd love to jam with others more. I was in a band for a while and we never played out but had a great time when we got together. Having no singer was the main reason we never even considered playing out and when we finally found one the band fell apart. Still it is hard for me to play in a jam. I have no place to play so it is contingent on the other members having a place, I am older and so people would expect me to be good and they would be wrong and my work and other commitments means the available times are limited. I keep looking for something that would fit but so far there hasn't been anything (though there is a new opportunity that might work). Maybe when I retire (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later) I can find someone who would be willing to hang out with a less polished player
            Originally Posted by Frets99
            I held one note through the whole thing and grimaced like I was being taken from behind by a camel.....

Member MAZI BEE KICK ASS MILITIA
            HCGB #251
            Guitars: F15 Fender Acoustic, F385 Takamine 12 String Acoustic, MIM Fender Strat with BG V60's, MIK Fender Blackout Tele with BG Pure90s, Reverend Manta Ray
            Amps: Mesa TA-15, White Box 1x12 cab, Crate V18 1-12
            Some Pedals

Comment

I'd love to jam with others more. I was in a band for a while and we never played out but had a great time when we got together. Having no singer was the main reason we never even considered playing out and when we finally found one the band fell apart. Still it is hard for me to play in a jam. I have no place to play so it is contingent on the other members having a place, I am older and so people would expect me to be good and they would be wrong and my work and other commitments means the available times are limited. I keep looking for something that would fit but so far there hasn't been anything (though there is a new opportunity that might work). Maybe when I retire (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later) I can find someone who would be willing to hang out with a less polished player
              Originally Posted by Frets99
              I held one note through the whole thing and grimaced like I was being taken from behind by a camel.....

Member MAZI BEE KICK ASS MILITIA
              HCGB #251
              Guitars: F15 Fender Acoustic, F385 Takamine 12 String Acoustic, MIM Fender Strat with BG V60's, MIK Fender Blackout Tele with BG Pure90s, Reverend Manta Ray
              Amps: Mesa TA-15, White Box 1x12 cab, Crate V18 1-12
              Some Pedals

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples
                View Post

It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble****************s.

This, absolutely. I hate jamming, and jammers.

Whether you're a songriter, a lead guitarist or whatever, making real progress takes serious work and application. Jamming is for unemployable lazy misfits with grey ponytails and HUGE glasses*, who think no good music has been made since the last Cream LP.

You're jamming in a pub with a load of other freaks because NOBODY WANTS TO PAY TO HEAR YOUR CRAP!!

In my humble opinion, of course.

EDIT *oh, and probably one of those leather hats too

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples
                  View Post

It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble****************s.

This, absolutely. I hate jamming, and jammers.

Whether you're a songriter, a lead guitarist or whatever, making real progress takes serious work and application. Jamming is for unemployable lazy misfits with grey ponytails and HUGE glasses*, who think no good music has been made since the last Cream LP.

You're jamming in a pub with a load of other freaks because NOBODY WANTS TO PAY TO HEAR YOUR CRAP!!

In my humble opinion, of course.

EDIT *oh, and probably one of those leather hats too

Comment

I love being in a well organize, well rehearsed, really tight band and I love to be on stage. I don't like unstructured jamming like open jams or blues jams, or playing where there isn't an audience. Unless I'm specifically learning songs, I almost never play at home alone.

Comment

I love being in a well organize, well rehearsed, really tight band and I love to be on stage. I don't like unstructured jamming like open jams or blues jams, or playing where there isn't an audience. Unless I'm specifically learning songs, I almost never play at home alone.

Comment

It took a lot of years, but I finally tired of playing exclusively alone and joined the rotation for our band at church. I play roughly every other week, which is enough. Having a goal (specific songs to learn in a specific time frame) means I actually have to practice, instead of just goofing off. I've improved quite a bit in the last 6 months as a result and am having loads of fun.
                        Geezer Brigade Member #350

Comment

It took a lot of years, but I finally tired of playing exclusively alone and joined the rotation for our band at church. I play roughly every other week, which is enough. Having a goal (specific songs to learn in a specific time frame) means I actually have to practice, instead of just goofing off. I've improved quite a bit in the last 6 months as a result and am having loads of fun.
                          Geezer Brigade Member #350

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat
                            View Post

I really enjoy playing with others but I tend to get sick of the band drama pretty quickly which makes me want to go it alone. I was in a three piece a few years back that was doing great until we decided to all live in the same house.

Training your ear is job #1 IMO, no matter how many doodads and whirligigs are out there.

I played in bands MANY years and band drama was ALWAYS a drag. Didn't matter how successful or great the band was, there were always personality issues. These days ( I'm 63, REAL old) I enjoy having no drama. I write and record at home with no stress or conflict. That being said, after taking a 'jam' hiatus for a few years, I do get together with some old buds once a month. After not having the interplay with others, I do enjoy what sometimes happens. However, again, it also reminds me of the other guys' personalities and quirks which can be both positive and negative in a musical situation. I would think I represent the same challenges for them.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat
                              View Post

I really enjoy playing with others but I tend to get sick of the band drama pretty quickly which makes me want to go it alone. I was in a three piece a few years back that was doing great until we decided to all live in the same house.

Training your ear is job #1 IMO, no matter how many doodads and whirligigs are out there.

I played in bands MANY years and band drama was ALWAYS a drag. Didn't matter how successful or great the band was, there were always personality issues. These days ( I'm 63, REAL old) I enjoy having no drama. I write and record at home with no stress or conflict. That being said, after taking a 'jam' hiatus for a few years, I do get together with some old buds once a month. After not having the interplay with others, I do enjoy what sometimes happens. However, again, it also reminds me of the other guys' personalities and quirks which can be both positive and negative in a musical situation. I would think I represent the same challenges for them.

Comment

I think it's cool whether you play by yourself at home or garage or play with a band and do live gigs. I happen to play in 3 gigging bands and yes it can be a pain in the ass in terms of personal commitment and time management but that goes with the territory. Some people don't like that part of playing music and simply want to play for themselves or friends at home because they like the challenge and want to express themselves creatively. I know many people like that.
                                Guitars = Chick Magnet
                                Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
                                You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
                                Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

Working...
                                X