N3 noiseless or custom '69 pickups?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by mh0520
    View Post

I've never heard of either of those companies until now. I'm fairly naive in terms of pickups; I've pretty much only heard the big names and a few of the boutique names. Does anyone else have any comments on either of these other companies? The price tag is definitely appealing.

Thanks for sharing.

I have personally only have experience with 1 set from of each BG and Rose. i have a Strat equipped with BG Strat 90s and a my wife's Luna Sol which I recently outfitted with Rose Mozarts. I also have a set of Roze Korona's but I still need something to put them in so I haven't actually played them yet.

In the case of the Strat-90s and the Rose Mozsarts they are both great pickups and I would (and most likely will) definitely use more of their pickups.

The Strat 90s actually sound quite similar in voicing to the CP69s but with a lot more punch. Here's a little comparison I did awhile back between my CS69 loaded strat and my Strat90 loaded Benford S-Type. It doesn't really do justice to either guitar but it gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADSlFSMcPc

The Luna Sol with the Rose Mozarts is like a whole different guitar now. Of course going from a humbucker to a single coil one would expect a pretty noticable difference but the Mozarts really breather new life into the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMouIcbVEns

Also the Rose Belle's sound fantastic based off the clips I've heard and are easily worth the $90 price.

Comment

As a basement-dwelling corksniffer, I'd go for the 69s, but I have noticed that guys who actually play music for a living are more appreciative of noiseless. My strat has Fat 50s and FWIW the noise does not bother me, but that's in a residential environment and at moderate volume levels.
      Signature is here!

Comment

Lots of good comments so far.

I definitely prefer the 69s to the N3s but I don't play out. And the 69s are my least favorite of the 'vintage' Fender sets.

Different strokes though.
        Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly
          View Post

I agree that tone is subjective and what people like is what they like, however, it is interesting that fender keep trying to invent a better noiseless while their classics don't need to be changed (IE: fat 50's, 54's, 69's etc...). Personally, IMO, if you want good noiseless for a fender price, get Dimarzio's and if you want the best and can break the bank, get Kinmans. Fender is behind in the noiseless stakes, IMO.

PS I've owned all the pickups you mentioned, not that I'm right, just have a difference of opinion and am not speaking through my ass.

I never implied that you were speaking through your ass
          "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

Any other comments on the Rose Mariposas? I'm definitely intrigued by the price tag and all the videos I'm seeing sound pretty good. What's the non-sale price? Are they available in hand wound as well as pattern wound? I'm only seeing PW on their site.

Definitely glad I asked on here. Thanks!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mh0520
              View Post

Any other comments on the Rose Mariposas? I'm definitely intrigued by the price tag and all the videos I'm seeing sound pretty good. What's the non-sale price? Are they available in hand wound as well as pattern wound? I'm only seeing PW on their site.

Definitely glad I asked on here. Thanks!

No, Mariposas are Pattern Wound but don't let that deter you as pattern wound is not in any way inferior to hand wound, just different. I don't remember if the Hermosa's are Hand wound or pattern wound but either way they are great pickups. The Bells are definitely hand wound as are the Robustas.

I don't remember the non-sale price. Sale price or full price, they are a great deal either way and dollar for dollar you would be hard pressed to do better.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by budalash
                View Post

I never implied that you were speaking through your ass

I know, just trying to validate my response.
                MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong
                  View Post

No, Mariposas are Pattern Wound but don't let that deter you as pattern wound is not in any way inferior to hand wound, just different. I don't remember if the Hermosa's are Hand wound or pattern wound but either way they are great pickups. The Bells are definitely hand wound as are the Robustas.

I don't remember the non-sale price. Sale price or full price, they are a great deal either way and dollar for dollar you would be hard pressed to do better.

Thanks. I figured as much on all counts. I'm very seriously considering it. If they're still on sale next week then I'm most likely thinking I'll pick up a set and check them out.

Thanks for pointing them out to me. How do the Bells and Robustas compare to the Mariposas? Just curious but I'm guessing the Mariposas are their "strat sound" pickups.

Comment

At the end of the day they are all going to make your strat sound like a strat. There really is no 1 "strat sound" CS69s are very much a strat sound but so are Texas Specials. Just depends on exactly which Strat sound you want.

The Robustas are going are more in line with a 50s style strat pickup. NOt really sure what decades the Hermosa and Mariposas are going for. The Bells sound absolutely brilliant to my ears based on the few clips I've heard. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Rose Mariposa is pretty much their trademark pickup so I would think it's a very safe choice that you'd be very happy with.

-Kit

Comment

I vote 69s, but I'm biased since I've been trying to sell a hand wound set for weeks now.
                      I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

57/62s

Comment

I know the term "strat sound" is misleading and vague but I mostly just meant from a marketing standpoint. It seems like a lot of companies market single-coil pickup that gives you that classic strat tone when in reality they all sound like strats, in some way or another.

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking I'll try a set of the mariposas. For that price they're hard to turn down.

Comment

http://bg-pups.com/sc.html

/thread
                            Mazi Bee Militia!
                            JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                            PpP
                            My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD
                              View Post

Rose is every bit as good
                              GUITARS:
                              Fender MIM Standard Strat
                              Hand Made SG Replica
                              Epiphone DOT Studio
                              Westbury Standard
                              Cort X-5
                              New Dawn Signature Prototype
                              Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                              Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                              AMPS:
                              Crate VC3112
                              Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by diceman1000
                                View Post

Rose is every bit as good

If I had any money to my name I'd probably throw some down and find out first hand. Unfortunately I don't even have enough to afford GFS at the moment... womp womp...
                                Mazi Bee Militia!
                                JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                                PpP
                                My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

Working...
                                X