N3 noiseless or custom '69 pickups?

mh0520

• Members

I know the term "strat sound" is misleading and vague but I mostly just meant from a marketing standpoint. It seems like a lot of companies market single-coil pickup that gives you that classic strat tone when in reality they all sound like strats, in some way or another.

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking I'll try a set of the mariposas. For that price they're hard to turn down.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wayne2 View Post
As a basement-dwelling corksniffer, I'd go for the 69s, but I have noticed that guys who actually play music for a living are more appreciative of noiseless. My strat has Fat 50s and FWIW the noise does not bother me, but that's in a residential environment and at moderate volume levels.
Good point!

For many years I played an old strat and an Ibanez 335-style. There were some rooms where I just could not use the strat and recording at home was impossible because of the excessive EMI. When the Lace Sensors became available I had a chance to try them out in my guitar and, even though they did not have the same 'sparkle' as the single coils, they allowed me to play my strat everywhere and that was a good thing. It stayed that way for many years.

About ten years ago I put Kinmans in my strat and it was like getting the old pickups back but without the noise.

At the time it was worth the compromise to go with the Lace Sensors but, when it comes down to it, the Kinmans are worth the premium price - the best of both worlds.

• Members

How much does good shielding in the body cavity help with EMI with vintage style pickups? If I don't go with noiseless my plan was to make sure to shield it well to cut down on crud.

I tried out the EC model recently and it sounded great though. Maybe vintage noiseless is worth some thought.

Choosing pickups on a limited budget is tricky. smile.gif

• Moderators

I agree on the playing out and studio and playing at home sorta thing.

Pros find themselves playing in all sorts of conditions and good noiseless pickups, be it Kinmans or Suhrs whole system simply makes the day a bit easier.

Home players who sit with a low watt amp, playing dry are the ones who generally hear the difference between budget and boutiques.

There are really 3 old school Strat sounds.

1. Early 50s, Buddy Holly etc, bell like tones, achieved mainly these days with Alnico III sets - think CS54s, BK Apaches
2. Late 50s, early 60s This is the Strat being a bad boy, think Rory Gallagher and Hendrix - Fender 57/62s
3. Late 60s through to late mid 70s. The lowest DC resistance winds on Al V magnets, 5.0-5.5k on grey fibrework and great for Nile Rodgers tones - CS69s

Everything else Texas Specials included are minor variations on these

Archived