Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like Alex Lifeson better on a PRS than a Les Paul.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Alex Lifeson better on a PRS than a Les Paul.

From watching a bunch of the recent Rush vids I think his pauls sound a bit mushy. Never was a PRS guy I think they worked for him.Same for Chris Haskett from the Rollins Band.

Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

I like him best on semi hollows...

Comment

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
      Editing a comment

soundcreation wrote:

I like him best on semi hollows...

Yup355

Attached Files

I'd attribute Alex's tone on the videos you see to many other factors than the brand of his guitar.

On a side note Geddy sounds best playing through chicken roasters.
    Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

• slvrsrpnt
      slvrsrpnt commented
      Editing a comment

axegrinder wrote:
      I'd attribute Alex's tone on the videos you see to many other factors than the brand of his guitar.

HA!  Good ole rotisiere back line!

The last 2 Rush DVDs I bought were Rock in Rio and R30.  Alex's guitar sound was much better with the plethora of brands in the Rio video versus mostly Les Pauls in the R30 video.  I agree with the quoted poster in that is more than likely an overall sound difference between the shows as opposed to the brand of guitar being played.  But, to go with the original poster (not being a Les Paul guitar shape fan) the guitars in the Rio video looked better to me :robot:

• Alecto
      Alecto commented
      Editing a comment

axegrinder wrote:

Actually, I much prefer Geddy with the Fender Jazz.  That's what he used on 'Tom Sawyer' and pretty much everything since Counterparts

While I like Alex's sound on his PRSes -- they're a little brighter and crisper than Les Pauls -- I have to admit his Les Pauls have more balls. So it's a tradeoff.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

what's weird about him on their DVD's, other than the tunes where he used a telecaster and had the gain lower, I couldn't really make up my mind if one guitar was better or worse than the other, or even sounded particularly different from one another...It's like his sound is more the result of his playing + amp/signal path in concert...It all sorta sounds roughly the same, prolly no doubt because all choices use a bridge humbucker except for the telecaster...

Comment

I think there's probably more variation in the mixing/production of those DVDs than in the sound of the instruments.  That being said, I think Alex's sound on Time Machine is excellent ...

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
          Floyd Rosenbomb commented
          Editing a comment

Rush is one of those bands that I respect, but have never really listened to.

Kind of holding out till I have exhusted all the other super bands to then dive into Rush.

Working...
      X