Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all baritone gtrs sound muddy with distortion??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all baritone gtrs sound muddy with distortion??

My Eastwood Sidejack does

It's my first baritone guitar ever, so for all I know it's just how the lower frequencies and thicker strings respond to dirty amps or pedals. It's not like I'm after a chugga chugga modern'ish brootalz or anything.

My doom/sludge jams with my new sidejack are still fun, but I wish I had a bit more detail, not defenition, tight attack...Whatever you'd describe my normal guitar tone when I'm not playing the baritone.   

To some extend I guess it makes sense, I should expect miracles from a super cheap instrument like the eastwood. And I know that compared to electric guitarsn bass guitars usually tend to sound flubby and loose with dirt as well...

Still, is it worth trying different pickups in there. I don't want to spend more than GFS prices though. 

Would mini humbuckers make sense? Nice bonus: Not much -if any- extra routing required

I really like those in regular guitars, but I'm not sure what to expect of em in the Eastwood baritone:s

Not all baritones sound muddy. It might be the pickups.

Comment

• ugameus
      ugameus commented
      Editing a comment

Mine does not.  I use Lollar Firebird pickups in it.  

It shouldn't. I'd go through the cheaper steps first, new pots and fiddling with the height of the pups. 

Comment

As much as I dont like active pickups, i could see them being very practical in a baritone... Full, clear sound... Try re eq'ing the amp first, as others have said... my bet is its the pickup though... 

Comment

• BG76
        BG76 commented
        Editing a comment

No. I have a PRS Private Stock Baritone that is geared towards more modern sounding music. My Danelectro Baritone doesn't sound so good with a lot of juice on it.

i kinda like a cheapo Dano for me Bari's.  Hard to kill their vibey presence.

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Working...
      X