X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap pickups.

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my Jackson Performer.

I've used Kent Armstrong pickups with good results, kinda mid-range priced.

I'd just buy used, it'll work out the same.  People are always parting with pickups for a lot less than new.  What pickups are you thinking of?  You could get most Duncans or Dimarzio's used for the same price as new GFS's.

One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Some people here have used Dragonfire pickups.

I have only used GFS, and yes, they have some good products. That said, billybilly is correct in that you can usually buy a used pickup for the same budget price, if you're patient.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

I really like the Guitarheads Alnico Supremes.

Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

• guitarcapo
        guitarcapo commented
        Editing a comment

There's a company called Tonerider that makes some FANTASTIC moderately priced Telecaster pickups. I thought they sounded just as good as Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. The ones I tried were the "Vintage Plus" ones. Really nice components like cloth covered wires and quality alloys.

They make P90, strat single coil and humbucker sets in various designs. I only had experience with the Telecaster ones but they were fantastic.

They run something like $80 to $100 a set depending on the type.

intothevoid wrote:

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my Jackson Performer.

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
        Floyd Rosenbomb commented
        Editing a comment

I think billybilly has it right, used.

• intothevoid
        intothevoid commented
        Editing a comment

harold heckuba wrote:

intothevoid wrote:

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

Haha I had thought of that. At the moment it has only been played through a cheap practice amp. I have a 30w Valve amp sitting at my parents place which I will be picking up this weekend which will be a much better test of how good the pickups are. I'll probably end up leaving them in after playing through that. Still it's awesome to hear about all these different pickups I had never heard of before.

Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups.
      No one even comes close.
      http://www.wildepickups.com/

This

Comment

Working...
      X