No announcement yet.

Cheap pickups.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap pickups.

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my Jackson Performer.

I've used Kent Armstrong pickups with good results, kinda mid-range priced.

I'd just buy used, it'll work out the same.  People are always parting with pickups for a lot less than new.  What pickups are you thinking of?  You could get most Duncans or Dimarzio's used for the same price as new GFS's.

MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Some people here have used Dragonfire pickups.

I have only used GFS, and yes, they have some good products. That said, billybilly is correct in that you can usually buy a used pickup for the same budget price, if you're patient.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I really like the Guitarheads Alnico Supremes.

Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

• guitarcapo
        guitarcapo commented
        Editing a comment

There's a company called Tonerider that makes some FANTASTIC moderately priced Telecaster pickups. I thought they sounded just as good as Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. The ones I tried were the "Vintage Plus" ones. Really nice components like cloth covered wires and quality alloys.

They make P90, strat single coil and humbucker sets in various designs. I only had experience with the Telecaster ones but they were fantastic.

They run something like $80 to $100 a set depending on the type.

intothevoid wrote:

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my Jackson Performer.

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
        Floyd Rosenbomb commented
        Editing a comment

I think billybilly has it right, used.

• intothevoid
        intothevoid commented
        Editing a comment

harold heckuba wrote:

intothevoid wrote:

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

Haha I had thought of that. At the moment it has only been played through a cheap practice amp. I have a 30w Valve amp sitting at my parents place which I will be picking up this weekend which will be a much better test of how good the pickups are. I'll probably end up leaving them in after playing through that. Still it's awesome to hear about all these different pickups I had never heard of before.

Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups.
      No one even comes close.
      http://www.wildepickups.com/

This

Comment

Working...
      X