No announcement yet.

5 most UNDERATED Bands of all time

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 most UNDERATED Bands of all time

We have talked a lot about who we feel get too much praise.....now lets discuss.....

Which bands or artists you feel don't or never got the recognition they deserved for what they brought to music....

Spirit
    The Byrds
    Manassas
    Mountain
    Poco
    Professor Tom

Comment

• ratcher
      ratcher commented
      Editing a comment

So may bands, so little time

Moby Grape -great guitar band still gigging

The Buckinghams - before their produced bailed to start Chicago, they were a hit machine from the Second City

J Geils - they defined the genre when they were on top - just ask faye dunawaye...

Little Feat - took a NOLA beat and crossed it with slide guitar blues - I still tear up when I hear Lowell George really scorch a song either live or in the studio

Booker T and The MGs - listen to anything that came out of Memphis in  the 60s and  70s and hear the rhythm section and you'll get an idea of the power and influence of these guys. Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Irma thomas, just to name a couple...

We now have the (Way overdue) Standing in the Shadows of Motown which FINALLY gives these guys the credit they deserve as hit makers.  And the upcoming documentary on Muscle Shoals we get a glimpse oof how they contributed to black and music in that time in our history. We need one to complete the circuit of what these guys in hythm and blues contributed the white catalog of music.

We need to document the enormous contriburtion that black composers, musicians and record labels did to advance their music and its forms, especiallly as those folks are dying of now and treir stories will never be told.

King's X - always just under the mainstream, but popular and influential.

It's hard to answer this question, though. Just because I love a band doesn't mean they should be on the cover of Rolling Stone.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

The Clams
      The Four Skins
      Ticklebox

"You´╗┐ people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

• vanzant38
        vanzant38 commented
        Editing a comment
        Late 80s early 90s BAD COMPANY. Pirates of the Mississippi.

Some bands I think are great that (curiously to me, at least) almost never get mention:

• Badger
      • Blowyn Pig
      • Captain Beyond
      • Atomic Rooster
      • The Move

Comment

• lefort_1
        lefort_1 commented
        Editing a comment

JRicoC wrote:

Some bands I think are great that (curiously to me, at least) almost never get mention:

• Badger
        • Blowyn Pig
        • Captain Beyond
        • Atomic Rooster
        • The Move

I'll see your "The Move" and raise you an "everything ever done by Ron Wood".

....can I get a Words of Aron?...

Flipper, Melvins , Husker Du
      I am blessed with a tin ear, I love poorly made cheap guitars,and terrible sounding amps though I do prefer solid state amps over tubes.

Comment

Flipper, Melvins, Husker Du.
        I am blessed with a tin ear, I love poorly made cheap guitars,and terrible sounding amps though I do prefer solid state amps over tubes.

Comment

I thought about Husker Du also
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

The sword
            Electric wizard
            Acid king
            Sleep
            OM
            Big rocks got stacked on top of each other. Is this proof of alien life? Yes it is

Comment

Big Star
              White Denim
              The Whigs
              Sea Level
              Faith No More

Comment

http:/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKzlfqmzpQ

Comment

• Dr. Scottie C
                  Dr. Scottie C commented
                  Editing a comment

These bands had success, but I think with better marketing & management had the ability/talent to be much bigger.

1) Little River Band

2) INXS

3) Jon Cleary

Kamelot? How have I not heard of them? I listen to a lot of prog, and they have never come on my Pandora station. I shall look them up...

Comment

• joy-z
                  joy-z commented
                  Editing a comment

Kinks

Beau Brummels

Smithereens

Dandy Warhols

Eagles of Death Metal

• Sauntman
                  Sauntman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kamelot is mainly symphonic power metal but sort of prog at times. Their albums The Black Halo, Epica and Karma are a good place to start though they have eight or nine albums by now.

+1 Jellyfish.

They brought a lot of influences together from the past, Queen, The Beach Boys, XTC, etc...and crafted them exceedingly well into a completely modern sound. Extended lush harmonies, disonance, mayhem at times and superb tones (JJP)

Only two albums....dang...I loved 'em.

88 keys

Comment

• ceebee2232
                  ceebee2232 commented
                  Editing a comment

cocteaeu twins

man

east of eden

groundhog

mott the hoople

Spirit

Focus

Rare Bird

Curved Air *

New Musik *

*The last two because they both created a sound which remains unique to them  to this day.

Honorable mention to Skin Alley

Comment

A lot depends on where and when, as others have noted (e.g. the Kinks were HUGE where I grew up). That being said, any band in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, or earned a Grammy, or any number of notable achievements can be eliminated from this discussion. And there are so, so many who flew/continue-to-fly under the radar. I must agree with some others (Mott the Hoople, Small Faces), and I'll also suggest: Boomers YYZ (talented, tasteful, dare-I-say "classy" Canadians) Climax Blues Band (long before they turned pop) Dwight Twilley Band (jerked around by "the man" but quite talented; ask Tom Petty) The Jam (revered in the U.K. yet booed off stage in Indiana opening up for "the Nuge") Soft Boys (Robyn Hitchcock's punk brilliance, amazing to this day) I'll guess some of these were also quite successful, elsewhere ...

Comment

• docjeffrey
                    docjeffrey commented
                    Editing a comment

Big Star

Fear Factory

Mastadon

Machine Head

Outside of metal circles, few have heard of Machine Head. They think they have becuase of Deep Purple's 1971 album of the same name, or they get them confused with Motorhead. Machine Head is my 2nd favorite metal band behind the Deftones. Love those guys.

Machine\_Head\_Logo\_by\_klez666.gif

Attached Files

Working...
                X