I tried the boss ns-2 noise suppressor today

mbengs1

• Members

I went to the store to check it out. I found that the gate works only when putting the gain pedals in the effects loop of the pedal. when used in series after the distortion pedals, it's quite ineffective. It cannot cut out the noise at all. Is this normal? But when using the distortion pedals in the effects loop of the noise suppressor, it works ok except some noise still gets through even with the threshold all the way up. I will try the noise suppressor again next time, this time with my distortion pedals. i'll bring it to the store to test it when my actual pedals.

• Members

That's how that pedal is designed to run.

Try a Hush pedal after your drive pedal instead. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/rocktron-hush-noise-reduction-pedal?rNtt=hush pedal&index=4

fetch?filedataid=126045

You have to make sure your pedals are all set for the same signal strength. If you have one that higher or lower in gain the hush will either remain gated or not gate at all. You could set the threshold for your gain pedal but when switching the gain pedal off to clean guitar, the gate may stay on all the time is the clean guitar is too low compared to the driven signal.

That's why boss uses a loop. You set your gain pedal in the loop, set the gate, then that pedal alone will be gated. You can then bypass the pedal and the gate so your clean guitar (which is usually a different gain level) isn't gated.

• Members

The only noise suppressors I use are built into multi effects pedals.

I tried the one the OP used and it only worked properly using its own boss type zero hum adaptor. If you put it on a Spot One power supply or any other shared supply it didn't gate properly. Boss pedals are funky like that. They are all active bypass and the noise suppressor is especially susceptible to any kind of ripple when functioning. The results I got when it was running right weren't very good. The pedal sucks volume big time so I dumped using it.

What I use instead is a dual loop pedal and set up different drive pedal combinations in each loop. I have one loop set up for rhythm and one for leads. I can simply select whichever drive loop I need when playing (or both). and I can still switch individual pedals to change the loops during a song.

I use something called manual hush/gating which consists of turning off your volume when you're not playing by either using your volume knob or volume pedal, and switching the gain pedals off at the end of a song.

Fact is most people who have hum and noise issues simply aren't used to playing out live. If they were they wouldn't be dialing up that much gain in the first place. People who essentially practice at low volumes tend to gain they're guitars way up.

If you did the same thing live through a loud amp, you'd not only sound like you were playing through a tiny amp producing a bunch of white noise, but you'd drive your pickups into microphonic feedback. When you play live with other professionals you get to know the gear they use and where they set they're gains. They don't need to use insane levels of drive when you have a cranked amp because you have the amp itself doing that job and therefore have no need for a noise gate.

Archived