FX Q: can you put 10 lines through one pedal?

• Members

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is a crazy question but I hope it generates some debate/insight anyway.

I'm designing an electronics setup of sorts and wanted to put the lines from 6-10 different pickups (or you can think of them as instruments if you like) through one pedal or pedalboard and then adjust their levels out the other side in a mixer type style with potentiometers or a microprocessor.

Does that make sense? Anyone know if there's hardware out there capable of that?

Many thanks,

Jim.

• Moderators

nope. does not make sense. Please clarify: are you simply using this device or pedal board for differrnt 'instruments' at different times or all at the same time?

If you are putting multiple sources into a single input device simultaneously, once you've combined all those inputs, they are no longer discrete signals and you will have a dickens of a time trying to differentiate them on the back side..

• Members

Just a mixer and a re-amp box should work.

Route your pickups to the mixer, use an efx send the pickup's signal to send to your pedal board from the mixer, use post fader if you want to blend the dry signal, pre fader if you want only the pedal board. Then route the pedal board to a return on the mixer. Use the re-amp box to change the mixer's line level output to instrument level.

• Members

A mixer can combine all the signals into one bit it cant separate them afterwards. Once they are combined to a single mono signal you cannot break them back out into separate signals again. The only way to keep them separate is by using multiple effects and keeping them all separate.

There are a few things you can do with filters, separate low frequencies from mids and highs, but this does no good is the signals being combines all have highs mids and lows. when they all overlap they become a single signal.

Archived