Need help choosing a new fuzz box for stoner/doom/sludge metal.

SG93

• Members

I'm in the market for a new fuzz. I want something heavy with lots of fuzz/sustain, and maybe somewhat splatty and velcro sounding for stoner rock/sludge metal. I currently have a Blackarts LSTR and really like it, but like I said, I want something a bit different, and need some opinions. I really like the Big Muff style pedals, and was wondering if I should maybe try for a different type of Muff circuitry? I know the LSTR is based on a Russian Muff. Would something modeled after a Ram's Head, like the Manx Loaghtan, or the Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head be a good choice? I know the Musket is popular for this genre, but I tried one and found it to be way too scooped for my tastes, even with the mids cranked. Some other boxes I'm considering are:

Black Cat or Wattson Superfuzz

Blackarts Fnord or Black Sheep

Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder

Daredevil Nova or LSD

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe, Fuzzmondo, Spooky Tooth, or Zippy

I know it's a long list, but I'm somewhat new to the boutique pedal world, and I'm overwhelmed by all the choices out there. I'd like to stay under $200, but I'm willing to go a bit over if you think anything is worth it. I know the Eau Claire is way over that, but I'm seriously considering it. Any help would be awesome. And if you could suggest some others to check out, that would be great too. My guitar is an SG, and my amp is a Budda Superdrive 18 if that's of any help. Thanks!

• Members

my latest purchase was was an earthquaker device hoof fuzz which was recommended here

while muff type and there its a muff soundwise, so yeah and? you may asked.

with the 4 knobs it becomes very versatile from completely sooped mids over nasal singing to fully bass heavy madness

i like it for the versatility and not for its (distinct) sound

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://www.hartmanpedals.com/Silicon-Crystal-Valve-CVSI.htm

I just literally tried like 20 fuzzes at my local store in the same quest and this is the one that won for me. Don't be fooled by its boutique-ness, this thing is a BEAST! super transparent too, it really shows the character of your guitar and has tons of gain to boot. I use it by itself and it sounds fantastic! Built like a tank and you can find them for $160!!!

• Members

Also I'll add that for sputtery crazy stuff, the red witch fuzz gods are great and zvex fuzz factory is cool but a little more on the wild, crazy side of fuzz. the hartman crystal valve is honestly one of the best fuzzes I've ever tried and fuzz is my main go to because I compensate for bass in my band with my setup and I really like the low/heavy side of guitar while retaining a very warm/transparent tone

• Members

It wouldn't hurt you to check out a Barber Trifecta if you're a muff lover. Lots of controls in that box to get most or all of what you mentioned.

The Monsterpiece fuzzes (take your pick) are really good and can get doomy and splatty and can loosely resemble a muff when set appropriately.

If these don't spark your interest the Scarab Deluxe is also a great pedal. I had a hard time letting that one go and will probably buy another in the future.

Good luck on your quest.

Archived