OT: A UPS guy just tried to break into my house...

• Members

So I'm sitting in my study about an hour ago (~9pm) which is the room directly adjacent to my front door, when all of a sudden I hear the door knob start jiggling around. I look through the stained glass and can see this UPS guy trying to open my door. I flick on the porch light and he starts shouting through the door about having a package, so I just sign to get this freak the hell away from my house. I mean, he didn't bother to ring the bell or knock on the door, but immediately goes to let himself into my house? Luckily it was locked, but I'm thinking, what if it wasn't? Was he going to just walk around my house looking for me, to be absolutely sure I wasn't at home?

:freak:

• Members

Kinda spooky for sure...BUT, I would trust our FED EX man with ANYTHING!...He could come in my house any day without me knowing....really about the same for my UPS man too. The old USPS guy shoot...I could give him my bank account info to remember for me and it would be safe!

So...unless you know the guy...it could have been harmless. He might have seen strange or gruff, or weird since you 'caught' him....but maybe he wanted to try ANYTHING before having to drive out to your place again...not sure....Sure that some delivery guys see everything well beyond what I'd ever have and they just don't jones for stuff.....they can be trusted in my area...even if they can be a little strange or P.O.'ed...

rk

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

it could have been harmless. maybe he wanted to try ANYTHING before having to drive out to your place again

Yeah, I'm guessing it's more likely that he was just going to leave the parcel inside than rob me, but I was a little freaked by the 'I'll let myself into your house if possible' level of service.

:thu:

• Members

I don't think that people have any business letting themselves in without your trust and prior arrangement. Some unknown UPS guy jiggling the knob is alarming to me. I would have called him on it, at least to hear his excuse, then called UPS. Maybe that wouldn't have gotten anywhere, but you never know, maybe he has a history of trying things like that.

The last time someone came into my place unannounced was a maintenance guy. He just waltzed right in without so much as a knock, doorbell, calling out hello, nothing. Yes we asked the landlady for someone to come over, but that doesn't give them permission to show up without a call and just barge in with the master key either (It was obvious that someone was home, the car right outside was a dead giveaway). I wasn't home, but my wife was getting ready to take a shower and hears someone making noise downstairs. That guy came within inches of his life because she nearly plugged him with the Glock. That would have taken some explanation - 'Umm..yeah about your maintenance guy...eee...um..well my wife shot him in the face...'

At least no one got hurt. That UPS guy could be asking for trouble, even if he really was on the up-and-up.

• Members

Originally posted by st. fermin

I don't think that people have any business letting themselves in without your trust and prior arrangement. Some unknown UPS guy jiggling the knob is alarming to me. I would have called him on it, at least to hear his excuse, then called UPS. Maybe that wouldn't have gotten anywhere, but you never know, maybe he has a history of trying things like that.

The last time someone came into my place unannounced was a maintenance guy. He just waltzed right in without so much as a knock, doorbell, calling out hello, nothing. Yes we asked the landlady for someone to come over, but that doesn't give them permission to show up without a call and just barge in with the master key either (It was obvious that someone was home, the car right outside was a dead giveaway). I wasn't home, but my wife was getting ready to take a shower and hears someone making noise downstairs. That guy came within inches of his life because she nearly plugged him with the Glock. That would have taken some explanation - 'Umm..yeah about your maintenance guy...eee...um..well my wife shot him in the face...'

At least no one got hurt. That UPS guy could be asking for trouble, even if he really was on the up-and-up.

Wow. Your wife is badass :mad::D

• Members

Why don't you call your local UPS office and see if that's normal behavior for their drivers? If not, complain about their driver and see what they say.

I've NEVER heard of UPS guys just letting themselves in to drop off a package. If so, they could leave stuff in my entryway without taking it back and leaving a note - but they don't, so generally I need to be here to sign if its something expensive.

• Members

from the place where i was born and raised (tirol/austria) it's still pretty normal that every door is unlocked and whoever comes to visit knocks opens the door and comes in. the post guy never knockls cause he has full hands with a lot of stuff for you.

and in bigger farm houses you don't hear the knocking on the front door, and mostly during the day the farmers on the field and not at home to pick up the post.

and it is/was normal in family houses too, only in bigger houses with flats they ring if the have a bigger packages.

for me this is one more proof for bowling for columbine the scene where all canadian house are never locked and americans are.

are once at a christmas party were an american coworker was also on visit he told me, that austria is such a nice place, you don't have to walk with a gun around...

• Members

Not everyone in America...I don't lock my house...but then, I have three dogs and the house is a good 100 feet away from the street. It would be really hard for someone to get in and out without being noticed(not to mention ripped to shreds by the dogs :D )

• Members

Sorry - but that's totally {censored}ed.

you asked the landlady to send someone over.

he wasn't a "stranger" - he had permission to enter the building BECAUSE he had a master key.

if your wife had killed someone who had legal access to the property, you and she would currently be screwed in many ways.

i can't believe she went for the gun FIRST when you people were actually expecting someone to come over.

what the hell kind of mentality is that?

• Members

The law requires a 24 hour notice if someone is gonna show up. We never got a confirmation from the landlady that they ever received our voicemail in the first place.

My wife was obviously HOME. Would you just come in unannounced?

We were not expecting him because we didn't know he was going to show up in the first place. We do not live in a white picket fence neighborhood - idiots pull stupid crap here all the time. She didn't run straight for a gun, she quietly listened and heard noises that obviously made her feel unsafe. She was at the top of the stairs, naked (about to get in the shower), and called out asking who the hell was there (with the gun close by). The jerk replied 'I can come in anytime I want'. Not 'I'm the handyman' or anything, just a defiant screw you attitude, and now it was taking far too long for this guy to announce who he was finally. She yelled at him to get the hell out and called the landlady, who admitted that they messed up big-time by not confirming etc. and that the maintenance guy acted very inappropriately and should have known better.

I agree and fully admit that its a sad world when it has to come to this, but when things like home invasions are not uncommon in my town, you need to be careful. My wife is smarter than to come down the stairs with the gun blazing blindly - that is why she tried to find out what was going on first, but she was prepared to protect herself. Trust me, neither of us would rather ever have to do something like that, ever.

Judge us if you want, just don't come in without knocking in this neighborhood.

• Members

The law requires a 24 hour notice if someone is gonna show up. We never got a confirmation from the landlady that they ever received our voicemail in the first place.

My wife was obviously
HOME
. Would you just come in unannounced?

We were not expecting him because we didn't know he was going to show up in the first place. We do not live in a white picket fence neighborhood - idiots pull stupid crap here all the time. She didn't run straight for a gun, she quietly listened and heard noises that obviously made her feel unsafe. She was at the top of the stairs, naked (about to get in the shower), and called out asking who the hell was there (with the gun close by). The jerk replied 'I can come in anytime I want'. Not 'I'm the handyman' or anything, just a defiant screw you attitude, and now it was taking far too long for this guy to announce who he was finally. She yelled at him to get the hell out and called the landlady, who admitted that they messed up big-time by not confirming etc. and that the maintenance guy acted very inappropriately and should have known better.

I agree and fully admit that its a sad world when it has to come to this, but when things like home invasions are not uncommon in my town, you need to be careful. My wife is smarter than to come down the stairs with the gun blazing blindly - that is why she tried to find out what was going on first, but she was prepared to protect herself. Trust me, neither of us would rather ever have to do something like that, ever.

Judge us if you want, just don't come in without knocking in this neighborhood.

Ah yeah - sounds like the handyman could have used a good scare with an attitude like that.

"I can come in anytime i want."

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by t_e_l_e

from the place where i was born and raised (tirol/austria) it's still pretty normal that every door is unlocked and whoever comes to visit knocks opens the door and comes in. the post guy never knockls cause he has full hands with a lot of stuff for you.

and in bigger farm houses you don't hear the knocking on the front door, and mostly during the day the farmers on the field and not at home to pick up the post.

and it is/was normal in family houses too, only in bigger houses with flats they ring if the have a bigger packages.

for me this is one more proof for bowling for columbine the scene where all canadian house are never locked and americans are.

are once at a christmas party were an american coworker was also on visit he told me, that austria is such a nice place, you don't have to walk with a gun around...

I used to never lock my doors back when I wasn't living in the city. And I certainly didn't have to carry a gun to feel safe. Of course, now that I'm living in the city, I'm dodging bullets just walking to the grocery store :eek:

(Kidding, of course)

• Members

I grew up in the country, my little town had about 800+ people in it during my formative years there and we never locked the door unless it was time for bed. Even the hobos that jumped grain trains along the railroad tracks across the field from my house were generally nice people that just maybe wanted a cool drink of water from the hose in the yard - and would always ask permission. The lone UPS guy that would service the little towns in that area was fast, efficient and friendly. It was different time and place that's for sure. Now I live in the city and have a permit for a gun.

I feel the country air calling me.

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

I used to never lock my doors back when I wasn't living in the city. And I certainly didn't have to carry a gun to feel safe. Of course, now that I'm living in the city, I'm dodging bullets just walking to the grocery store
:eek:

No offence, but dude, you're in St. Paul.

Try Southside Chicago.:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

I used to never lock my doors back when I wasn't living in the city. And I certainly didn't have to carry a gun to feel safe. Of course, now that I'm living in the city, I'm dodging bullets just walking to the grocery store
:eek:

In St. Paul??

hahahah...come on man...

St. Paul's crime stats are slightly lower than the median.

try living in St. Louis some time.

:D :D

• Members

...That guy came within inches of his life because she nearly plugged him with the Glock. That would have taken some explanation - 'Umm..yeah about your maintenance guy...eee...um..well my wife shot him in the face...'

That's nothing; my girl packs some serious heat:

mac10girl_s.jpg

:thu::D

Archived