Theremin

• Members

I have the sudden impule to learn the theremin. I know it's a tough go, but I'm a pretty persistant guy.

Tell me your own experiences with the theremin. Do you have one? Which one? Why did you choose that model? Any recommendations for listening? Etc.

• Members

We got one a few weeks ago...Moog Etherwave. Honestly it's one of the best out there especially since you can fine tune the response if the antennas.

It's a VERY difficult instrument to learn to play properly. Lots of exercises and muscle memory.

Just listen and study Clara Rockmore. She's a theremin genius.

• Members

I have the Big Briar Etherwave signed by Bob Moog. This was from before they changed the company name back to Moog. The theremin is a fun instrument. I'm not usually trying to hit particular notes when I play. To me, a theremin sounds best running through a reverb, delay or both.

• Members

I also have a Big Briar by Bob Moog. My intentions were to learn proper technique. My patience ran out. It is quite fun and kids love it. I hook it up when my nieces come over.

I chose that model because it was the first "real" theremin I saw on the market back when I bought it. You could either buy it fully assembled or as a kit at the time. I bought it assembled. Also, hey, it's a Moog.

• Members

We got one a few weeks ago...Moog Etherwave. Honestly it's one of the best out there especially since you can fine tune the response if the antennas.

It's a VERY difficult instrument to learn to play properly. Lots of exercises and muscle memory.

This. All of it.

• Members

Any other thermites have any advice or recommendations?

Thinking of the Moog Pro.

Hux: Is you girlfriend learning, or both of you? How is it going or still too early to tell?

we are learning slowly. still to early to tell how good we'll get :lol:

the Etherwave Pro is only good if you want the headphones out (which is to hear your note before you play it) and if you want to use the Theremin as a CV controller. If you just want to make music, don't bother.

• Members

+1 Clara Rockmore. She is the master. Incredible technique and tone. That was a woman who understood the potential of the theremin as a legitimate monophonic performance instrument. Nowadays it's often used for sound effects and campiness, but her range of expression on it is unparalleled. If you have Netflix Instant, check out the documentary on Leon Theremin they have. It is really inspiring.

• Members

19j2r.jpg

• Members

I have the Big Briar (bought and built the kit in '96, I think).

Easy to get useful sounds out of it, really hard to play properly. That doesn't make it any less of a cool piece of gear. Occasionally I'll use a tuner (TU-2) between the Theremin and whatever else I'm running it through (usually analog delay and reverb). It makes it easier to figure out where yr hand is in terms of proper notes. It's cheating, but it helps with the drone-y stuff.

I love the thing. Don't play it everyday, but it's always there. They're a lot of fun if you've got some imagination and patience. Anything Moog is better than anything else out there --- The Pro may be bit of an investment if yr not 100% sure that you're going to be able to dedicate some time to it. Building the kit is really easy - It was the first time that I ever held a soldering iron and I got it right -- It still works like it did on day 1.

Awesome things...

• Members

I'd love to get one as well. Theremin + OD + Delay = mindblowing! Check out this jam, particularly starting around 13:30 when Page kicks in the theremin.

[video=youtube;wx5AxRkUXuU]

Sh!t I think I also want a clavinet after re-listening to that...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Still lusting for a theremin, and was wondering what sort of amp to use. I read that piano amps are best and that guitar amps may need some "adjusting" for the instrument's frequency. Any of you guys with a theremin using guitar amps and had any problems?

Archived