No announcement yet.

buying a turntable online today

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a turntable online today

i have christmas/graduation money to spend on a turntable, i don't want to break the bank but i don't want to be disappointed either. make some suggestions as to what i should get and is usb something i will want?
    GEAR:
    Gibson Flying V
    American Telecaster
    Line 6 M13
    Speedster Class A "40"

Originally Posted by B.Renegades

I suppose a 1 channel amp would be good if you listened to only one kind of music.

very happy with: letsgocoyote, www (x2), tomvandeven, cleverbastid, jhamnett, funbnme, gschmittling, viper jazz

Congrats on graduating
    Originally Posted by Rainer Maria Rilke

Sound, no longer measurable
    with sense of hearing. As if that tone
    outstripping us on every side
    were space maturing.

Comment

thanks man! i'm really proud of myself, but i'm scared ****************less of the future haha.
      GEAR:
      Gibson Flying V
      American Telecaster
      Line 6 M13
      Speedster Class A "40"

I suppose a 1 channel amp would be good if you listened to only one kind of music.

very happy with: letsgocoyote, www (x2), tomvandeven, cleverbastid, jhamnett, funbnme, gschmittling, viper jazz

Comment

Audio Technica ATLP-120

Best bang for your buck if you're buying a new table. If you don't get this one specifically--make sure you get something with a counterweight on the tonearm.
        G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
        Korg Pitchblack
        Blackout Musket
        Paul C. Timmy
        Boss TR-2
        EHX Deluxe Memory Man
        Roland JC-120

good deals: fewlio, 22tape, zzzzzzz (The Gear Page), Natarel, starsailor803, murch33

Comment

^ ^ ^

Counterweights are important. Most 'set' weight are generally too heavy & will slowly eat the vinyl.

Stylus (needle) is also important. Many nowdays are industrial strength 'spherical' geared towards DJs. I prefer 'elliptical' -flows thru grooves & has better definition. Excellent for archiving.

A Cartridge is another important factor. Look for frequency response at least 20-20,000

Remember -it's not like a CD, there is physical contact with vinyl. The turntable must be leveled. A crooked turntable will dig too much into one side of the groove.

Have fun!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GREC
            View Post

^ ^ ^

Counterweights are important. Most 'set' weight are generally too heavy & will slowly eat the vinyl...

The turntable must be leveled. A crooked turntable will dig too much into one side of the groove.

I agree with everything you're saying, though I just have to comment on this. I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid in the 70s, and I still purchase music on vinyl. Now that I'm 43 years old, I've come to the realization that there isn't enough time left in my life to wear out even one record, much less the thousands of records I now possess Having the time to sit back and enjoy a record is something I still indulge in... frequently... but it is a luxury, and one that isn't at all convenient for me.

So I've arrived at the attitude that vinyl is like any luxury item... wine, cognac, cigars, caviar, cologne... you enjoy it to its fullest and if it's ever gone, you just hope there is more somewhere to enjoy again someday. I try not to stress out anymore about preserving everything for some distant and hypothetical future that probably won't ever matter. Besides, part of my enjoyment in my records is the nostalgia factor... and all of those pops and cracks only add to that feeling that I've grown with that music over time like an old friend.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by falseswipe
              View Post

Audio Technica ATLP-120

Best bang for your buck if you're buying a new table. If you don't get this one specifically--make sure you get something with a counterweight on the tonearm.

That's a decent first table. Another one that is comparable is the Denon DP300F. To save you the trouble of mounting a cartridge for the first time you might also consider a Music Hall MMF 2.2, which comes with a decent cartridge that is well-matched to the table and tonearm already mounted:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=MHMMF2.2

FWIW, you should probably be spending around $100 just to get a decent cartridge for listening, not DJing. Getting a turntable setup to sound its best can be a real tweakie experience: getting a cartridge that matches your tonearm and turntable's characteristics, mounting it correctly and setting tracking force and anti-skate is a bit of an art form.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever
                View Post

I agree with everything you're saying, though I just have to comment on this. I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid in the 70s, and I still purchase music on vinyl. Now that I'm 43 years old, I've come to the realization that there isn't enough time left in my life to wear out even one record, much less the thousands of records I now possess Having the time to sit back and enjoy a record is something I still indulge in... frequently... but it is a luxury, and one that isn't at all convenient for me.

So I've arrived at the attitude that vinyl is like any luxury item... wine, cognac, cigars, caviar, cologne... you enjoy it to its fullest and if it's ever gone, you just hope there is more somewhere to enjoy again someday. I try not to stress out anymore about preserving everything for some distant and hypothetical future that probably won't ever matter. Besides, part of my enjoyment in my records is the nostalgia factor... and all of those pops and cracks only add to that feeling that I've grown with that music over time like an old friend.

I dig what you're saying. I've got a few years on you & have thousands of records too. But what about the future? Your albums might be passed down many generations after you are gone! Think about the KIDS!

I know you won't ever do it -but I've seen so many people thru the years use **************** turntables. A bad old needle will destroy the walls of the groove. It will look fine but there will be a distorted upper mids abrasive tone.

Audiophiles were so crazy in the 70's -they were saying that you should let a record 'cool' one hour before re-playing because of heat/friction. Fact or fiction(?)

Yeah, I love that crackle sound. It's like sittin' around a craklin' fire on a summer night. Sometimes it can't be avoided when some weird obscure rarities like The Marshmellow Steamshovel's Mr Mold 45 has never officially been re-released & it's hard to find clean copies....

Comment

I just picked up the cheap ion player at Walmart. It's probably pretty terrible but I really enjoy it.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Pro-ject Debut III is considered by a lot of audiophiles to be the best bang-for-your-buck turntable
                    Originally Posted by mdrake34

I still don't know what the **************** a haunting mids is, but what I do know is that I have never seen such an assortment of sandy, stinky, sopping wet vaginas e-assembled in one place in my life. It's like 300 The Decision-era Lebron's fighting over fuzz pedals.

Comment

I'm angling for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon to replace my old Dual 505-2.

I think any of the Debut series would be sweet.

Comment

assuming you already have a system to hook it too you prob don't want a usb turntable.

entry level project or rega or musichall would work well. you probably want to budget some cash for a decent cartridge too (it will make a huge difference)

Budget?
                        Guitars: LsL T-bone|Gibson 62ri SG|Martin D-18
                        Pedals: |DiamondComp|Whammy DaVe|Pitch black|Naga Viper|Hotcake|DMM|RRR|
                        Amp: Vox AC15HW1x

Comment

check craigslist. i recently got a really nice old pioneer that had just been repaired with new belt, cartridge, needle, everything for $175.
                          MAN for that kind of thing U got to go Back to the Old boxes from back when!! In those days we would bring are AMPS to the lake and wnen U tilt the Cab down by the water U can see the ****************in DENT it made! With the waves coming off it and Everything ****************!!!!! NOwadays they all play in there Dens and home bars or watever kind of **************** they get up to

Comment

i have a receiver, and some speakers that i'll probably upgrade real soon, so for the record player i want to spend like 300 total, cartridge and stylus included, but i'm open to spending more down the line if the turntable itself is compatible with standard upgrades. btw, i got aqualung by jethro tull, exile on main street by the stones, creedence's greatest hits, the song remains the same, and a ten years after record (the one with woodchopper's ball). soon to expand the collection quite a bit after i have the set up lol
                            GEAR:
                            Gibson Flying V
                            American Telecaster
                            Line 6 M13
                            Speedster Class A "40"

Comment

You can sometimes find a decent turntables at thrift stores or estate sales for about $20 or less. Caution with belt drives because some old worn out belts can be difficult to replace.

Just update the cartridge/stylus. I recommend an Ortofon Arkiv for $60 -best bang for the buck. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ngle-cartridge

Comment

Working...
                              X