I may have found THE amp for me

Tomm Williams

• Members

Not long ago I picked up a '64 Rickenbacker Supersonic B16a chassis and empty 4-10 cabinet. I loaded the cab with two vintage Jensen C10q's and two Ragin Cajuns and sent everything to Jeff Earl at JDesign Cabs to build a head box and recover everything.

I've had it home for a couple days now and here are my impressions. First, for a 40 watt amp, this thing is freakishly loud, it's actually slightly difficult to set a "bedroom" volume setting. The pots are barely dialed up.

Second, with the use of a Dirty Little Secret, this amp sounds exactly like a high gain Marshall. I've used this pedal though many amps and always thought it made a sound "sorta" like a Marshall. This amp nails Marshall tone as well as the real thing.

Next, on clean it's stellar but can be forced to break up if I try. However it's very controllable and easy to avoid. String dynamics and pinched harmonics just jump out with my Les Pauls. Both are equipped with Pearly Gates PU's which seem to fit this amp ideally.

The head unit weighs very little and the 4-10 cabinet is neither so heavy nor so large I can't easily move it by myself. I simply can't find a single negative about this amp.

I have a gig this weekend that originally was planning on using my Bassman.... Not now. This amp seems to possess every positive attribute that I like and not a single draw back. I've acquired a number of tube amps in the past year and enjoy every one of them for one reason or another. Not one of them can surpass this Ric in any category (except footprint perhaps)

Of course I would not expect all you guys to agree with this but my ears tell me I found exactly what I was looking for. Now don't get me wrong, I love old tube amps so there will be more additions but I believe they will be more for the enjoyment of collecting rather than gigging.

Only thing missing in the photo are the chicken head knobs. Jeff does extremely good work and his prices are more than fair.

IMG_1192_zpsjjqwtzm7.jpgIMG_1194_zpsbhsqr8fb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived