Good combo for warm Jazz.

Bluesaholick

• Members

As the title says, Im looking for a combo thats good for warm jazz. Sort've a woody tone that handles complex chords nicely. I was looking at a twin, but those are too loud and heavy. Maybe something around 50-60 watts would be nice? Tube of course. I also like to play prog-ish rock, but I dont mind putting a pedal in the mix. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

IMO a Mesa F-50 would fit the bill. It has a great clean channel and the OD can go from crunch to meltdown close to that of a rectifier, but smoother. The OD sits in between the Mark IV and the recto, but with its own voice.

Check my sig for the F-series lounge.

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

IMO a Mesa F-50 would fit the bill. It has a great clean channel and the OD can go from crunch to meltdown close to that of a rectifier, but smoother. The OD sits in between the Mark IV and the recto, but with its own voice.

Check my sig for the F-series lounge.

+1 on the F-50. Will stunningly cover all of your jazz to prog needs. :cool:

I have some clips of my widebody combo in my sig. You may be particularly interested in the Jazzy video clip. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

That's about 99% of what I play and I have two amps that I really like: a high end tube amp and an inexpensive modelling amp.

The tube amp was built to my specs by Ben Fargen. Fargen markets it with our name on it. It's 50 watt's, 37 lbs, about the size of a Princeton with a single 10" Eminence neodymium speaker and has an enormous sound for the size. Fargen sells it for about $1600. I used it for this clip.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/EverybodyInst.mp3

My modelling amp is a Roland Cube 60. I run it exlusively on the Blackface model and I love it. It was $305. It's tiny and it's built like a brick. It's not as good as the Fargen, but I think it sounds great. Here's a clip done with it.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/E078-1.mp3

• Members

Jim, I find it hard to decide which one of the two amps that sounds the best. For the money the Roland Cube 60 is awesome, just awesome.

One thing though... it is sorta important who the player is too, as you're demonstrating in both these clips :)

The best amp I've ever tried myself was a big Polytone. A warm, clean tone that was much more natural than anything I've ever heard before or since. Didn't buy it cause it was too expensive, too big and somewhat broken.

• Members

Originally posted by Wookiefoot

As the title says, Im looking for a combo thats good for warm jazz. Sort've a woody tone that handles complex chords nicely. I was looking at a twin, but those are too loud and heavy. Maybe something around 50-60 watts would be nice? Tube of course. I also like to play prog-ish rock, but I dont mind putting a pedal in the mix. Anyone have any suggestions?

You might try out the Engl Classic Combo.

• Members

Originally posted by Jim_Soloway

That's about 99% of what I play and I have two amps that I really like: a high end tube amp and an inexpensive modelling amp.

The tube amp was built to my specs by Ben Fargen. Fargen markets it with our name on it. It's 50 watt's, 37 lbs, about the size of a Princeton with a single 10" Eminence neodymium speaker and has an enormous sound for the size. Fargen sells it for about $1600. I used it for this clip.

My modelling amp is a Roland Cube 60. I run it exlusively on the Blackface model and I love it. It was $305. It's tiny and it's built like a brick. It's not as good as the Fargen, but I think it sounds great. Here's a clip done with it.

No contest, it's the Fargen by a mile.

It's a seven string? What make?

• Members

i'm currently looking for the same thing:

the amp must be small 30-40 watts. i don't mind if it's sold state or not, it just has to sound great. and be as cheap as possible.

i think i'll try the jc-90.

the best amps i heard are AER, but they are definately too expensive. still they sound great and are just so tiny.

i'm using an archtop. mostly clean sound. id love to have a scofield crunch at times.

any advices welcome..

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

I think it sounds better but not that much. The Cube 60 is very, very impressive.

I think I've owned just about every "jazz" amp ever made. Considering size, weight, tone, and headroom, the Fargen is probably the closest thing thing to perfect jazz amp that I've ever found. It's worth every dome of the $1600 price tag. On the other hand, the Roland does a much better than credible job and for $300-$350, it's simply the best value I've ever come across in an amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Jim_Soloway

You know what your tone reminds me of? That little jazzy thing they play on the Beverly Hillbillies whenever they show Ellie May by the ceement pond!

I'm not trying to insult you. I really like that sound. You should post a clip of it. I'm sorry I can't describe it to you any better.

• Members

Originally posted by ottobahn

You know what your tone reminds me of? That little jazzy thing they play on the Beverly Hillbillies whenever they show Ellie May by the ceement pond!

I'm not trying to insult you. I really like that sound. You should post a clip of it. I'm sorry I can't describe it to you any better.

Not insulting at all. They had some hreat music on that show. It's also not really surprising since I started playing right around the time that first came on the air.

BTW, just an educated guess, but given who was doing most of the first call TV work in LA in those days, I would think that was probably either Barney Kessel or Howard Roberts playing that bit.

Archived