Fender HotRod Deluxe Speaker Replacement

tommy_is_here

• Members

I have a HotRod 40W Amp, with the default speaker. I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the speaker, and found a replacement speaker to make the amp appreciably better.

(btw, I like this amp, but find it to be just a bit on the loud side for a bedroom player like myself)

Cheers,

Tommy

• Members

Originally posted by tommy_is_here

I have a HotRod 40W Amp, with the default speaker. I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the speaker, and found a replacement speaker to make the amp appreciably better.

(btw, I like this amp, but find it to be just a bit on the loud side for a bedroom player like myself)

Cheers,

Tommy

If you're handy, you can make one of these for a few bucks and cure the sensitive volume control on your HRD:

hal9000FXLoopAttenuatorRevB.png

Pretty much any CTS or Alpha pot in the 25k-50k range will work there.

• Members

Cheers,

Tommy

My extension cab has 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs; I think they match the amp wonderfully (if you dig a dark tone). However, my cab is closed-back so I don't know if you'd get the same result by simply replacing the internal speaker.

Also, it's an efficient speaker so your amp will end up a little louder (but will still sound better than the stock speaker at lower volumes).

• Members

I've got a Hot Rod Deluxe with the stock speaker as well. Cleans are good, overdrive is not. Although my American Deluxe Strat sound like crap with the internal overdrive (thin, raspy), my Tom Anderson Cobra S with the bridge Humbucker sounds almost OK.

I've heard of Vintage 30's helping. I've now got a couple speakers I don't need that I'll try soon: Vintage 30 & Celestion Silver Series (GC Special a few years back). I also have the EV12L that I don't use (from my Mark III), but that would make that amp very heavy!

• Members

I agree, that clip was awesome dude!

Did you only swap the speaker, or did you do any additional mods?

Cheers,

T

I retubed with JJ's blues set.

That was my Tele with a Wylde OD and also a bad Monkey added at the end.

Ingore the playing.

Also, the volume was at less than 2 on that clip.

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

If you're handy, you can make one of these for a few bucks and cure the sensitive volume control on your HRD:

hal9000FXLoopAttenuatorRevB.png

Pretty much any CTS or Alpha pot in the 25k-50k range will work there.

would this mod work on a Fender Blues Deville? The volume on those things goes from nothing to window-shattering.

• Members

Originally posted by BarneyGumbel

would this mod work on a Fender Blues Deville? The volume on those things goes from nothing to window-shattering.

It will work on pretty much any FX loop as long as you can get the mix level pretty high or it's serial.

It's just another master volume. :)

• Members

Originally posted by diddlybo

It seems that some guys over at the Gear Page get the Omega amps mods done to the HR Deluxe and use Eminence Cannabis Rex Speakers with it. Apparently the CRex cures the high end shrillness of the amp.

Hey diddlybo,

I'm one of the guys from the Gear Page website that owns an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker. Jim Price of Omega Amps revoices the clean channel to be blackface and the drive/more drive channel to nail the early '70s Marshall tone. The Cannabis Rex smooths the highs out and has good lows & mids. If you intend on keeping your Hot Rod series amp, Jim will turn it into a great sounding amp!! Here are a couple of pictures of my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe:

OmegaAmpsmoddedHotRodDeluxe.jpg

RearofOmegaAmpsmoddedHotRodDeluxe.jpg

Guitar George

• Members

I owned the 2X12 and liked it a lot. I got rid of it because of the weight and have some regrets. I couldn't play it louder than about 2 and never used the overdrive channel (always just used pedals) and I changed the tubes to JJ's and it soudnded great. if you can pick one up I wouldn;t hesitate to recommend it.

Sorry! Was trying to answer a different post!

• Members

ok, I just changed the speaker. ITs working now, but when I turn the amp on, there's a distinct buzzing that wasn't there before. Ie. it sounds like almost like a record player that is on, with nothing playing on it but a blank vinyl disc if that makes sense.

Is this b/c speaker breakin is needed? Or is something not right with the speaker possibly (its a brand new high quality speaker - same as mentioned above the emmicence texas one)

Thanks!

Tommy

• Members

ok, I just changed the speaker. ITs working now, but when I turn the amp on, there's a distinct buzzing that wasn't there before. Ie. it sounds like almost like a record player that is on, with nothing playing on it but a blank vinyl disc if that makes sense.

Is this b/c speaker breakin is needed? Or is something not right with the speaker possibly (its a brand new high quality speaker - same as mentioned above the emmicence texas one)

Thanks!

Tommy

Sounds like a bad tube. 1st take out each tube and reseat it. If that doesn't work then swap in replacement tubes if you have them. For the 6L6's you will want to at least check the bias. I think you may have bumped one when put the speaker in, it would be easy to do.

Make sure you check the speaker connections as well.

• Members

Just an update: I swapped my stock Fender Speaker for the Celestian Silver Series (pain in the butt to swap a speaker in this amp) and there was no improvement. The Silver Series is brittle thrashy sounding and doesn't help over the stock speaker. Maybe a little warmer (slight break up) in the clean channel, but overdrive is still harsh. Next try will be a Vintage 30, maybe tonight, that should be better.

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Just an update: I swapped my stock Fender Speaker for the Celestian Silver Series (pain in the butt to swap a speaker in this amp) and there was no improvement. The Silver Series is brittle thrashy sounding and doesn't help over the stock speaker. Maybe a little warmer (slight break up) in the clean channel, but overdrive is still harsh. Next try will be a Vintage 30, maybe tonight, that should be better.

If you can find a Reverend alltone, which they don't make anymore that seems to be the HRD users speaker of choice.

The vintage 30 sounded good in my Hod Rod Deville, but the clean suffered a bit, IMO.

Archived