Crate GX-130c = Ampeg VH-140c, yes or no?

thinkpad20

• Members

So... I ran through a bunch of schematics. Couldn't locate one for GX-130C (I'm frankly not sure if I have one) but based on the ones I looked I'd say:

No.

Crate's GX-series amplifiers (e.g. GX-140C, GX-120 etc.) do indeed share quite a many similarities with the VH-140C design, which is not surprising because all those amps come from the same company, and they are even designed by the same person. But Crate's designs still tend to have a lot of differences in comparison to VH-140C as well. IMO, Crate's amps have different type of voicing and tone controls, they tend to be "muddier" and the structure of cascaded distortion stages is somewhat different than in Ampeg.

So. These amps are very similar, have a lot of common circuit elements (e.g. the patented distortion circuit) and similar features like chorus - GX-140C even has (almost) exactly the same power amp as the VH-140C.

But still, these amplifiers are not the same. I can't comment on GX-130C but based on what I've seen in every other Crate amp of the same series so far I'd say that the preamplifier very likely isn't the same as Crate's preamps tend to share more common things with each other than with the Ampeg. I'm inclined to believe that the claim that GX-130C is the same as VH-140C is an urban myth. Of course, getting a hold of the schematics would settle the issue completely.

• Members

Do you really need a Crate? I'd think the Axe-FX + SS power section could easily nail those tones.

lolz, yes of course, but backup + dive rig both make for good reasons to own a cheapie that can pull off teh br00talz. Besides, believe it or not, the Axe-FX is much better at sounding like a tube amp than a solid state amp. It's actually kind of hard to get that crusty, diode-clipping metal zone kind of distortion out of it. On the other hand fat, buttery saturated distortion it can get in spades. :idk:

And it's only $150 for a 2x12 combo... so I really can't go that far wrong...

• Members

Not exactly.

Back in the day, a number of us were big Crate fans (I know, I know...), specifically the GX130C, but after hearing rumors of the VH140-C and seeing Dying Fetus(?) a friend tracked one down and promptly bought.

Side-by-side: they are quite similar, but the Crate definitely has a more compressed, processed, scooped; for lack of a better term, a more "Crate?" type of gain. The Ampeg does have the edge if you are looking for a slightly more traditional (natural?) distortion. Both are extremely tight and a bit solid-state-ish, but then again, you don't buy either expecting vintage tube tone right?

Great amps either way for that classic death/grind sound. Cannibal Corpse/Suffocation anyone?

• Members

I had the Crate...and at about the same time, gitfiddler had the Ampeg. We didn't do "side by side"....BUT....

it's my opinion that the Crate is every bit as good as the Ampeg. Maybe better. After hearing and playing both amps, it boggles my mind that everyone automatically buttplugs the VH-140c. To my ears it(Ampeg) seemed harsher....not edgier, not more presence......but HARSHER. Shriller.

I would have kept the Crate, except at the time I was playing with a VERY loud band.....and it didn't have the top end to keep up. Coulda been the cab/ohm load...I dunno. But at home, I could EASILY get (what *I* think of as) Dime/Zakk tones. Drop the D and wail on harmonics.

Objectively...I say either one would be fine. If I had my choice, I'd pick the Crate. And if you're getting a decent price, you can't go wrong. You can unload easily if necessary.

• Members

lolz, yes of course, but backup + dive rig both make for good reasons to own a cheapie that can pull off teh br00talz. Besides, believe it or not, the Axe-FX is much better at sounding like a tube amp than a solid state amp. It's actually kind of hard to get that crusty, diode-clipping metal zone kind of distortion out of it. On the other hand fat, buttery saturated distortion it can get in spades.
:idk:

And it's only $150 for a 2x12 combo... so I really can't go that far wrong...

Precisely. Even though I had a Rocktron Voodu Valve and the Tonelab at the same time.....things like the Crate G130c are tools all onto their own.

• Members

I guess you could just compare Cannibal Corpse "The Bleeding" (Crate GX-130, if Im not mistaken. And Im sure their earlier albums may have been Crate too, but the Bleeding sounds great) and Suffo, Dying Fetus (Ampeg).. From those comparison's they seem to be in the same ballpark.. Meaning both can get pretty brutal and heavy.. I have been thinking about one of those 2 amps as well and sell off the XXX.

But just remembering, when I first joined Morgue Supplier, the old guitarist used the Crate GX-130.. FOrgot about that.. Honestly for that band I think it really sounded good. Kinda dark, but with a kinda weird thin high-end.. SOunded brutal though, thats fer sure..

• Members

Do you have experience playing both amps in a death metal situation
:confused:

oooh! DO you have experience eating bananas in a South American Republic?

Jeezus H. Christ.....now I have to do a formal interview with a resume to post?

I told you I played both amps....I don't see you giving shit to anyone else in the thread.

What death metal band did the scared out of his mind Esupremacy tour with...while playing both amps? You didn't check HIS resume.

• Members

oooh! DO you have experience eating bananas in a South American Republic?

Jeezus H. Christ.....now I have to do a formal interview with a resume to post?

I told you I played both amps....I don't see you giving shit to anyone else in the thread.

What death metal band did the scared out of his mind Esupremacy tour with...while playing both amps? You didn't check HIS resume.

Just asking because you're constantly a contrarian, and you also don't seem to be the type into death metal :confused:

Jeez, just a little question, no need to get your panties in a bunch :poke:

• Members

Just asking because you're constantly a contrarian, and you also don't seem to be the type into death metal
:confused:

Jeez, just a little question, no need to get your panties in a bunch :poke:

"just a little question"...

I don't see you asking this to everyone else that posts in every thread. Why do you assume so much?

You were worried about my credentials?....you think I don't play in bands?...I absolutely MUST play out in a death metal band?...what?

If I would see you giving anyone else the 3rd degree...I certainly WOULDN'T "get my panties in a bunch" (isn't there some new phrase for that now?).

So ESupremacy EMPHATICALLY said that think would definitely like it better...but you won't question THAT. I did...but you hassled me? Crap, THAT was pretty dman dumb to say...."you WILL like it bettter"....and I "contradicted" that idiocy, and it's ME you singled out?

"contrarian"....well, when it's required.

Also...I don't see "death metal" in thinks' posts...so...:idk:....

all fuck it...it don't matter...never mind. G'night.

• Members

"just a little question"...

I don't see you asking this to everyone else that posts in every thread. Why do you assume so much?

You were worried about my credentials?....you think I don't play in bands?...I absolutely MUST play out in a death metal band?...what?

If I would see you giving anyone else the 3rd degree...I certainly WOULDN'T "get my panties in a bunch" (isn't there some new phrase for that now?).

So ESupremacy EMPHATICALLY said that think would definitely like it better...but you won't question THAT. I did...but you hassled me? Crap, THAT was pretty dman dumb to say...."you WILL like it bettter"....and I "contradicted" that idiocy, and it's ME you singled out?

"contrarian"....well, when it's required.

Also...I don't see "death metal" in thinks' posts...so...
:idk:

all fuck it...it don't matter...never mind. G'night.

I generally ignore ESupremacy :o

And think generally plays death metal, so I was just wondering. Relax, take your pills and go to sleep :lol:

:o

• Members

I talked about this with 17 tubes the other day when we were playing the amps. BTW Steve, I want that Hamer! Or its equivalent. Something about that pickup and small size of that badboy has me jonesin for one. I had both an ampeg vh140c and a crate g130cxl (not exactly a gc130) at the same time. I will tell you that both those amps had different mid character. I could not stand the mids on the the crate so I scooped it all the time. They were harsh to my ears and seemed to have the same mid spike as a v30 speaker. That being said, it was not quite as gainy as the ampeg but had tons of gain on tap and was easily capable of doing death metal. The ampeg had more gain than was usable IMO but the mids were more tolerable. It had more of a grainy distortion than the crate. It was also a bit darker in its voicing. The ampeg was fragile and had some volume swell problems and stuff. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another crate and if I ran into the VTX, I might buy one if cheap enough. The ampeg however, is so ridiculously priced on the bay that I wouldnt be able to justify it. Im not talking the combo, I mean the head which goes for up to $600 on the bay. On another note, me and 17T had his vox tonelab into a deluxe reverb getting tones that were pretty close to the ampeg the other day. Close in gain voicing but smoking in volume and punch.

Archived