Is the Marshall 1936 2x12 a good cab?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

sure- 1936es are great little cabs. they're not the be all end all-- but they're great service 212s. t75's are great with some amps- not so with others... they seem to do best with very mid heavy amps and played with a lot of watts into them to sound their best. but the cabinets perfectly usable, solidly built, and if you wanted to change speaks out down the road.. shouldn't be any issue.

but if you're using it as a gigging cab or loud practice cab with something like a marshall-- go for it.

• Members

With the Blackstar HT-5 this cab sounds like a good fit. I was wondering the same.

i can tell you honestly, i think that'd be a bad fit in terms of speakers. t75s and 5 watts isn't gonna sound so hot. those speakers won't even wake up til you've got at least 30 watts running through them... seriously.

if you don't mind selling off the speakers-- you'd do ok-- but in that application.. i'd go elsewhere.

• Members

Q: Is the Marshall 1936 2x12 a good cab?

A: I would put it on the list of probably the worst cab Ive owned. But its got some stuff competition.

worst in comparison to what and why?

i mean... most high gain amps are some of the worst i've ever played in terms of doing what i like- i.e. dynamics, clean sounds, and overdrive sounds ... but it's just a different tool for a different job..

AND depending what y' want.. could have everything to do with the application..

• Members

there's two types of 1936 cabs. there's the new ones made out of pressboard (yuk) that are loaded with made in China Celestions, in fact the whole cab is made in china I believe. these cabs get bad reviews.

then there's the real 1936 cabs, made in England, by Marshall, out of real wood (birch). they usually have either G12t-75's (made in England)and sometimes G65's. these are the cabs you want, well worn 75's, the old ones sound great. look for the JCM800 series, and I believe the early JCM900's were real wood as well.

• Members

worst in comparison to what and why?

i mean... most high gain amps are some of the worst i've ever played in terms of doing what i like- i.e. dynamics, clean sounds, and overdrive sounds ... but it's just a different tool for a different job..

AND depending what y' want.. could have everything to do with the application..

In comparison to:

Bogner 2x12

Bogner 2x12 OS

Bogner 4x12

Orange 2x12

Orange 4x12

1976 Marshall 1960B

Modern Marshall 1960a

Diezel 2x12

Some old fender 2x12 I had

Homemade 2x12 w/ Weber Alnico and G12H30

etc..

And plenty more I'm sure I'm forgetting. I play about 200 shows a year and have played a LOT of amps and cabs and heard a lot amps and cabs in playing with other bands. Also, let me preface this nby saying your mileage may vary, as these are merely my opinions....

I play a jcm 800 2204 that I sometimes boost with either a modded ts-9dx or rc booster. I dont know if youd call that high gain, but I have experience in that realm. I think the 75's are a very bland speaker. I think maybe if it was mixed with something it might be ok because its pretty tight, but its pretty buzzy and crappy sounding, imho. The lead 80 is a much better speaker if youre going for that kind of wattage/clean-ness. The best deal/performance combo I've heard is the avatar orange style 2x12 with g12h30/v-30 combo. A friend of mine runs that with a xxx and it sounds reallly good. Plenty of thickness and cut.

• Members

there's two types of 1936 cabs. there's the new ones made out of pressboard (yuk) that are loaded with made in China Celestions, in fact the whole cab is made in china I believe. these cabs get bad reviews.

then there's the real 1936 cabs, made in England, by Marshall, out of real wood (birch). they usually have either G12t-75's (made in England)and sometimes G65's. these are the cabs you want, well worn 75's, the old ones sound great. look for the JCM800 series, and I believe the early JCM900's were real wood as well.

The one i had was a jcm-900 cab, was pressboard and had g12-75ts (made in england). It sounded like {censored} and I swear every 1936 ive heard sounded the same. The 800 series were not 1936's (i forget the model number, like 1921 or something like that?), but they are much better.

• Members

In comparison to:

Bogner 2x12

Bogner 2x12 OS

Bogner 4x12

Orange 2x12

Orange 4x12

1976 Marshall 1960B

Modern Marshall 1960a

Diezel 2x12

Some old fender 2x12 I had

Homemade 2x12 w/ Weber Alnico and G12H30

etc..

And plenty more I'm sure I'm forgetting. I play about 200 shows a year and have played a LOT of amps and cabs and heard a lot amps and cabs in playing with other bands. Also, let me preface this nby saying your mileage may vary, as these are merely my opinions....

I play a jcm 800 2204 that I sometimes boost with either a modded ts-9dx or rc booster. I dont know if youd call that high gain, but I have experience in that realm. I think the 75's are a very bland speaker. I think maybe if it was mixed with something it might be ok because its pretty tight, but its pretty buzzy and crappy sounding, imho. The lead 80 is a much better speaker if youre going for that kind of wattage/clean-ness. The best deal/performance combo I've heard is the avatar orange style 2x12 with g12h30/v-30 combo. A friend of mine runs that with a xxx and it sounds
reallly
good. Plenty of thickness
and
cut.

awesome-- i'm not calling y' out or anything spoonie, for sure-- and i agree with you about the cl80 too.. i just always cringe a little when folks chuck out 'that's no good'... cause it's always hard to say given the application!

in the context of those cabs... hell... i can see exactly why you'd probably like it least too-- theres some nice stuff in there!

• Members

awesome-- i'm not calling y' out or anything spoonie, for sure-- and i agree with you about the cl80 too.. i just always cringe a little when folks chuck out 'that's no good'... cause it's always hard to say given the application!

in the context of those cabs... hell... i can see exactly why you'd probably like it least too-- theres some nice stuff in there!

Nah its cool man, just trying to give ya some advice from my experience and (sometimes) mistakes. But everybody's ears are different, so it can only go so far.

• Members

The one i had was a jcm-900 cab, was pressboard and had g12-75ts (made in england). It sounded like {censored} and I swear every 1936 ive heard sounded the same. The 800 series were not 1936's (i forget the model number, like 1921 or something like that?), but they are much better.

the 1922 is a smaller 2x12 cab. the JCM800 series did in fact include a 1936, I have one at home.

• Members

People often slate marshall cabs just because they've been an industry standard for so long.

The 1936 is a fine cab, well built and solid sounding. I've had two of them one loaded with 75's the other loaded with v30's, i actually prefered the 75 loaded one. For the money theres really not much out there thats better, i think the Orange and Mesa 2x12's are better but you're looking at them being considerably more expensive over here.

Maybe worth considering the blackstar artisan 2x12 and the new orange 2x12 with the open back, that would probably be better for low volumes.

Archived