Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Fender Reissue amps not "as good" as the old ones?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Fender Reissue amps not "as good" as the old ones?

It seems thats what most have to say about them. Is the tone really not up to par?
    Good enough for a poke am I right?

different iron, different wiring scheme (PC board versus hand wiring), different materials? they're similar circuits, far as i know, but they lay them out on pc boards and use different 'stuff', basically.

Comment

cosmetically they look the same (on the outside, in the front), but that's where the similarity ends. I've heard they don't sound bad though. the originals were hand wired on tag boards, the RI's are PCB, yuk. the transformers were manufactured better in the old days.
      great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Only thing I could think of is the transformers had better iron back in the yesteryear

Comment

Transformers and other components have slightly changed year by year. I believe the circuits in many of the reissues are close to the original.

Oh and pcb doesn't affect tone.
          Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
          Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
          Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
          Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

Transformers and other components have slightly changed year by year. I believe the circuits in many of the reissues are close to the original.

Oh and pcb doesn't affect tone.

a cheap, crappy and thin pcb could probably affect tone in some small way... but definitely the longevity of the amp is affected more than anything.

the answer is this:

they sound almost the same but corksniffers will nit pick about everything and deem the old ones better because they're older and more expensive (most the time).
            Originally Posted by the_bleeding

i left my band because they were emo...

Comment

Speakers have a lot to do with it also.
              www.mpdacrylics.com

www.bazoogle.com

Comment

BAND
                CRABCORE
                e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
                Fender American Roadhouse Strat
                ESP Hybrid II
                Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
                Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

Lots of differences. For one thing they aren't point-to-point wired. That makes slight tonal differences due to inductance differences. Nothing major. Not necessarily better but different. Also the components are different in that an old amp has component drift off from spec. Again not necessarily better but different. The new cabs are made from compressed wood fiber and not pine. Some people think the compressed wood fiber is actually better in that it has a more even frequency response.
                  Then there's the different components like the transformers etc. At the end of the day, the reissue amps sound a little different...not exactly better but different I'm pretty happy with my reissue deluxe Reverb.
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

The only real downside to the pcb is that it can make repairs more difficult. As far as sound is concerned you'll get better bang for your buck if you buy the reissue than the original, since all of the BF fenders get marked way up in price. Unless you find that basement rotting BF amp at a yard sale you'll pay a ton more for an amp that is you probably sounds 99% the same.
                    Setup: Gibson LP custom reissue '57 Faded Cherry or Fender Prodigy> Vox Clyde McCoy Wah>Radial Plexitube Distortion> Assortment of Boss effects> Deluxe Reverb RI
                    Good Sir, you seem to have challenged me to a battle of wit. However, you seem to have come unarmed...

He who control your information controls you, He who controls Wikipedia controls the world...

Comment

They don't have vintage mojoz
                      Axes: Les Paul Studio, CP Jazzmaster, CIJ Strat
                      FX: Polytune -> Philosopher's Tone -> Octave Multiplexer -> Script Phase 90 -> Polychorus -> DD-3 -> AC Booster -> SUF Ram's Head -> MJM China Fuzz -> OCD -> drasp DL4
                      Amps: Mesa/Boogie Trem-O-Verb, Sunn Solarus, Jet City JCA5212RC
                      SPAM: Plum Crazy FX fuzz and more!
                      Smooth Dealings

Comment

They sound damn good. The ones I've played anyway.

Comment

a cheap, crappy and thin pcb could probably affect tone in some small way... but definitely the longevity of the amp is affected more than anything.

the answer is this:

they sound almost the same but corksniffers will nit pick about everything and deem the old ones better because they're older and more expensive (most the time).

I don't think it's corksniffery in this case. if you've used old Fenders and seen their guts, or had them repaired before, there's legit reasons to avoid the new ones.
                          I have a friend who is a Fender amp guru, does bf mods etc. he will not work on pcb amps, because they're a pita. that alone would stop me.
                          lets say you amp falls off the back of a truck or stage etc. a pcb can crack, chasing a crack in a pcb is brutal.
                          also the pots and jacks are pcb mounted, changing them when they fail is a ****************ty job on pcb's.
                          the more i think about it, the more i realize what pieces of corporate **************** Fender is, for making amps that look like the real thing, but are really no better than a made in China pos.
                          great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Because they aren't exact replicas. There are cost-cutting measures that are applied and they have an effect on the tone and durability of the amps. Also there is usually an attempt made at some kind of "improvements" whether they be cap values or circuit tweaks/changes or something like that. They end up not being improvements for people who want a replica of the original. That said, I think the reissues are fine amps and the majority of them sound good (even if not exactly like their vintage counterparts). Then again 2 amps of the same model hardly ever sound or function exactly alike anyway.

Comment

speakers, speaker break in, tubes, caps, transformers.
                              Vintage V100 ICON "Lemon Drop" Fender American Standard StratocasterSeagull Entourage Rustic S6Traynor Custom Special 50 (YCS50)Traynor YGM-4

Good transaction with: NickPierro

Comment

Working...
                              X