How to convert M4A to: wav or mp3??

Cap'n Ahole

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

From an article which informs us how to convert M4A to WAV and MP3, I learn that:

M4A file has a much better compatibility with Apple devices, since it is developed by Apple. However, M4A is not compatible with many earlier yet popular portable devices and editors like PS3, PSP, Creative Zen, Wavosaur, etc, while WAV file is. Therefore, still lots of people longed to convert M4A to WAV with original file quality.

1. I wish to convert the m4a voice memo files to wav so that I can attach the voice files to the gps track when editing the Open Street Map using the JOSM editor.

2. I'm trying to convert a file with .m4a extension from Garageband to wav for PS3.

3. I need to convert the MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a) that the iPhone voice recorder puts out into a WAV or MP3 format to use in the YouMail program.

4. Is there another simple program that allows me to convert .m4a to .wav?

5. Can anyone suggest a good converter to convert M4A files in to *.WAV files such that can then be burned on to an audio CD?

• Members
Can you upload the M4A to YouTube' date=' then download from YouTube as MP3?[/quote']

No. Audacity is pretty good for converting audio files (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and there's a Mac version so it should be able to do it. There are a couple of options for recording audio from YouTube videos. Audacity will do it and so will MP3myMP3 if you're running Windows: http://www.mp3mymp3.com/.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This may be an old thread but it brings up something that seems to be missing in the digital age - recording audio.

I play digital audio through a mixer and record the output in whatever format I choose (usually wav files) at whatever level I want.

For example, If one of my students wants to learn a pop tune that is on YouTube, I will listen to it on YouTube and record the audio in Reaper. I can then edit the audio, render it as a wav file and, if needed, convert it to mp3 in iTunes. If the student has it on a device then I simply plug the audio output of the device into my computer via a small Yamaha mixer and record the audio.

It takes me back to the times when I would sit by the radio with my cassette recorder waiting to grab a song we wanted to learn in my band.

• Members

It's so convenient now there's real stuff to bish about. Like what's up with playlists? They have to be in the correct format or the player wont budge.Sheesh :idk: just play the fkunicg files already. And you can't format a folder to have numbered slots with auto table of contents so you can find any of your media instantly. Or color code anything. Or automate 90% of your manual secretary chops. PCs are an alien plot to waste your time.

• 5 months later...

Archived