In my next band...

• Members

Seems like we always have great ideas for the current band that don't materialize. I would like everyone to play through modelers and have no amplifiers on stage. Maybe empty cabinets for the "look", like the big boys do. Everyone uses IEM, so nothing on stage and almost no stage volume. Mixer, two tops, and two subs; easy load in/out. Acoustic drums, but played very lightly. I'm actually getting very good at playing with a light touch. Such a dream, eh?

What ideas do you have?

• Members

I'm in a situation now where I use a 1x12 amp but am considering a move to a modeller to lighten my rig. Problem is that no matter how much I work with the modeller, I've not been able to capture my guitar tone like a real amp; even with my amp set fairly quiet (volume = 1 or 2). Of course through the IEMs that difference may disappear and I've not had the opportunity to test that theory yet.

I would think that if your goal is to eliminate stage volume, the acoustic drums would be the 1st thing to change. In my experience, everyone else in the band has to come up to the level of the drums so if the drums could be quieted, then everyone else can come down.

• Members
Seems like we always have great ideas for the current band that don't materialize. I would like everyone to play through modelers and have no amplifiers on stage. Maybe empty cabinets for the "look", like the big boys do. Everyone uses IEM, so nothing on stage and almost no stage volume. Mixer, two tops, and two subs; easy load in/out. Acoustic drums, but played very lightly. I'm actually getting very good at playing with a light touch. Such a dream, eh?

What ideas do you have?

We are a trio and we dumped our backline LONG ago. (actually in our last band) we do have 3 small monitors and I play V-drums so that helps. Stage volume is nice and low. No ringing in the ears for me in years! Set up/tear down is quick and easy.

• Members

That's my dream as well. We're most of the way there. The guitarist uses a modeler through a small amp. Probably will never be able to get him to drop the amp completely. And I'll probably never be able to talk the drummer into using e-drums. But keys and bass are direct and vocals are all through the IEMs as well. It's certainly a big improvement.

. Unless you're doing a big rock show, I wouldn't bother with fake cabs. There are many great stage looks you can fashion that will impress an audience that have nothing to do with amps being on stage.

• Members

We're slowly moving towards the all IEM setup. The drummer and I already use them. The drummer got a nice set of Roland V Drums a couple months ago but hasn't broken them out yet, he wants to rehearse with the band with them 1st, which I understand. Our singer has been asking me questions on wireless IEM's so I think she's about to pull the trigger. Bass player already has them but hasn't used them. Last up is the guitar player, I think it's a budget issue with him overall more than the desire to get them.

Once we get that all worked out, it'll be a lot easier to mix from stage like we do. 2 tops, 2 subs, pods for the guitar/bass, keys out of my line mixer, and the V drums.

We're about to get some new tops, most likely some EV ELX115P.

• Members

In the new band, a reasonable stage volume is a priority, but I'm not looking to eliminate the amps on stage. Just turn them down to reasonable and use them as a "more me" monitor boost, and if you need more drive for your tone then use a load box. We're a large rock band and it would be easy for venues to get scared that we'll blast the ears off the customers, and as such I consider it vital to get a reputation as the heavy band that lets the venue control the FoH volume.

• Members

I never expected people would use IEM us as a way of increasing stage volume, but that's exactly what they did. I think it was so the trombone player didn't have to turn down his miked trombone

• Members
???? How does a trombone, miked or otherwise, have stage volume if the band is using IEMs? Obviously there is the natural volume of the trombone itself, but that's not something that can be "turned down", really.

The band was running about 107 dbc onstage and after moving more people to IEMs and changing the FOH to a couple of Bose towers, the sound level rose to over 115 on my iphone. (Think that is the limit for the internal mic.) And he wanted me to run the organ into his Bose boxes? my 760 Leslie maxes out at 118 db and if it can't be heard in the audience, it's time for me to run away. It was time to run away! I suspect that PA drivers will start failing from the abuse. Not my problem.

• Members

The band was running about 107 dbc onstage and after moving more people to IEMs and changing the FOH to a couple of Bose towers, the sound level rose to over 115 on my iphone. (Think that is the limit for the internal mic.) And he wanted me to run the organ into his Bose boxes? my 760 Leslie maxes out at 118 db and if it can't be heard in the audience, it's time for me to run away. It was time to run away! I suspect that PA drivers will start failing from the abuse. Not my problem.

You lost me.

That says nothing about a trombone let alone its stage volume. And I have no idea what running an organ through the FOH has to do with IEMs either.

• Members
???? How does a trombone, miked or otherwise, have stage volume if the band is using IEMs? Obviously there is the natural volume of the trombone itself, but that's not something that can be "turned down", really.

• Members

speaking of next bands. I am officially on the bench. I ditched the songwriters band a couple of months ago and quit the side project after the tue night show. I am not sure what my next move is going to be. I am going to take some time and decide what I want to do. My bucket was full and the band leader was doing impressions of my ex wife lol. From a music standpoint things were rockin balls but sometimes things just reach a limit where the high bull**************** meter pegs and you just have to bail. Felt damn good lol.

• Members

My next band I'm not going to let on that I know a single thing about sound and light production. As far as they're going to be concerned, I can't even spell the word XLR. After spending that last twenty-five years purchasing, maintaining, transporting and running several sound and light systems for my band and others, I think I'm done. "Good enough" with a race towards the bottom of mediocrity seems to be the mantra around here. In the process of modularizing those systems, I've done the same with bass systems to the point where it's pick a rack then pick a cab. None of them take longer than it takes to plug in power, mic to DI, rack to cab and wireless to bass.

• Members

I think I might be in a band with older trevcda. The guitar player occasionally offers excellent and precise advice to get me out of trouble, but otherwise knows nothing about sound. LOL

• Members

My next band I'm not going to let on that I know a single thing about sound and light production. As far as they're going to be concerned, I can't even spell the word XLR.

I tried that when we first put together the band I'm in now years ago back in our classic-rock-bar-band era. When I joined up the other guys already had a small PA system put together and one of the other guys had assumed the running-sound-from-stage duties. Awesome! I was just going to sit back and play dumb and worry about my own sound.

Unfortunately, the rest of the guys were absolutely clueless about how to hook up and operate the system. They wired it all up from a diagram somebody else had drawn up for them and as long as they followed the diagram it worked, but they had no idea what any of it actually did, so if it didn't work properly they had no ability whatsoever to troubleshoot anything. And they thought the "trim" pot was some sort of magical knob that reduced feedback. (Well, yes...turning things down DOES reduce feedback, of course. But that's not really the best way to go about it....)

So....eventually....out of frustration and just pure necessity, I eventually had to reveal the fact that I knew SOMETHING about these things. Not a lot, but being the most technically able person in the band was a VERY low bar.....

• Members

I tried that when we first put together the band I'm in now years ago .....

Yeah, I talk big now. I've said the same thing every time. It'd probably only take one evening of watching somebody twisting the "feedback knobs" before I'd be right back where I am now.

Archived