Ripped off on PA Gear- what to do

• Members

Hi,

I have encountered a problem buying PA gear from an individual and am wondering what paths I might take to either get my money back or get the equipment.

I sent a money order for around $1000 to an individual in Nova Scotia for a Mixwizard, Case and crossover and now the seller refuses to acknowlege my emails. I believe I have been scammed.

The items were listed on Ebay however, no bids were offered and the auction ended. I then emailed him and we made a deal for the equipment and I promptly sent him the money in the form of a money order.

I would like to hear from some of you as to what recourse I should take as it is outside the US and my options may be limited.

• Members

Originally posted by weztone

Hi,

I have encountered a problem buying PA gear from an individual and am wondering what paths I might take to either get my money back or get the equipment.

I sent a money order for around $1000 to an individual in Nova Scotia for a Mixwizard, Case and crossover and now the seller refuses to acknowlege my emails. I believe I have been scammed.

The items were listed on Ebay however, no bids were offered and the auction ended. I then emailed him and we made a deal for the equipment and I promptly sent him the money in the form of a money order.

I would like to hear from some of you as to what recourse I should take as it is outside the US and my options may be limited.

Your options would be limited if you lived in the US.

Keep all your e-mails. Contact the Attorney Generals office in the state that you sent the money to (I have had luck getting money for microphones I've bought in the US which I never received).

• CMS Author

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but what were you thinking? Money orders are as good as cash. Paying upfront to an unknown address is just asking for this sort of thing. It would likely cost a good portion of, if not more than, $1,000 to attempt legal recourse (and don't think they didn't know this) of an international issue (assuming you're in the US).

If this was in the US, I'd have a word with my local Postmaster....the US Postal Service prosecutes cases of mail fraud, which this clearly is. But they can't do anything about a foreign address. You may want to contact a Canadian Postal authority to see if they handle these things.

Ebay sucks because People Suck.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Money orders are tough to stop payment on, if even possible.

Question: Can a stop payment request be placed on a money order?

Answer: It depends on the type of money order. There are different kinds of items that banks sell that are described as "money orders." If the money order is really just a machine-impressed check drawn on the account of the purchaser/drawer of the money order, then the right of stop payment would apply just as it would to any other check "drawn on the customer's account." (See UCC section 4-403) If the money order is really a "teller check"

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fossil

Question: Can a stop payment request be placed on a money order?

Answer: It depends on the type of money order. There are different kinds of items that banks sell that are described as "money orders." If the money order is really just a machine-impressed check drawn on the account of the purchaser/drawer of the money order, then the right of stop payment would apply just as it would to any other check "drawn on the customer's account." (See UCC section 4-403) If the money order is really a "teller check"

• Members

I have never purchased anything from E-Bay and this is just another example of why not to do business with complete strangers. I've heard several horror stories about E-Bay and read about several scams in the media.

As for your case, you really do have very few resources. If you have a real name, address, invoice, etc., I suppose you can contact the local police or attorney generals office and give it a shot. You never, know there me a stack of complaints against this guy...

Good luck...

• Members

The problem is that they have done the deal 'outside' of ebay. There is no recourse through ebay.

As I said, contact the attourney generals office and keep all your e-mails - it's worked for me once before.

• Members

Do you actually have a mailing address? If it's not a closed PO BOX, I'd get the law involved and see if they can help. If it's not classified as Mail Fraud, it's definitely theft (in any country). I feel bad for you. I hope that it all works out in the end.

Archived