Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use for stage plot diagram

What program should I use to put together a stage plot diagram? We are getting in some clubs that provide sound. It would probably be helpful for the soundguy to know ahead of time what he'll be dealing with....

Thanks,

George
    My Bands

www.myspace.com/georgeheadmusic

Judas Rising Judas Priest tribute band

Jaded Modern Rock cover band

Guitar Ranch My store......carrying FRYETTE and WIZARD amps along with lots of other cool stuff.....

Hmm, I use Vectorworks, but I think any CAD program would work well.

If you don't have a CAD program, I think you could probably get something usable with a regular Paint program. The scale won't be perfect, but you can probably get it close enough.
    B.

Comment

Although it's somewhat of pain to use, you can try the 'draw" toolbar on Microsoft (spits twice in disgust) Word. Other possibilities include any simple bitmap "paint" program, or even fancy business graphic programs like Visio. But most people have Word, and you can try that.

Of course, you can always get a pencil and a piece of graph paper and do it the nostalgic way -- just for grins.
      Proud new owner of a circa '73-'75 SVT
      No more anal carcinoma pictures (apologies to all offended)
      Am I the only one not to have responded to the "thread killer" thread?
      Ka is a wheel
      Rockin' Horse

Comment

The shows I've done where the system contractor wanted stage plots and channel maps were satisfied with a letter-sized drawing using a stencil with flow-chart boxes, and neat lettering. Show who is standing where, what their mike, monitors, patching and electrical needs are (i.e. condensor mike on vocal, XLR for direct guitar + AC). Indicate where the backline is. Add comments if you have someone who is a special case (lead guitarist is deaf, big monitor, please !).

If you want to be elaborate, you could use MS Visio, but even a nice club will only require your stage plot and channel list be neat and legible.

Tip your house soundman !
        “Never attribute to malice the things which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”I play guitar, bass and drums with equal enthusiasm and lack of skill.

Comment

Personally, I don't care how it's done as long as it's correct. Nothing worse than getting wrong stage plots and riders!
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try MS Paint, never used it but we'll see. How detailed do people like to see? We are just a 3 piece rock band with a singer and two of the guys sing backups. Should I add channel strip listings too? I don't want it to seem like we are hard to work with.
            My Bands

Guitar Ranch My store......carrying FRYETTE and WIZARD amps along with lots of other cool stuff.....

Comment

Don't worry too much about channel numbers, unless you travel with your own tech who likes things a certain way.

Make the plot reasonably detailed, with locations of mics, DIs (and if it's a front-line instrument like acoustic guitar, whether DI should be in front or in the amp backline), monitors, and AC power. Mention which singers want straight vs. boom stands.
              Chairs, if needed.

Don't forget to label which side of the stage is "audience". Generally that's the bottom of the diagram. Mark the front-to-back centerline of the stage.

And have it proofread, too. One rider demanded a 48' tall stage.
              "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

When I prepare them for bands that I work with to give to other soundmen, I usually just use MS paint for the plot. I insert text boxes to label what the backline componets are and the location of the stage monitors with a mix # in them. I usually have a second sheet with an input list with insert plot and a description of what the monitor mixes should have.

The input list also has what inserts are needed on what input and what kind of stands/clamps are needed and also what mic or DI box is prefered.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Scodiddly
                  Don't worry too much about channel numbers, unless you travel with your own tech who likes things a certain way.

Make the plot reasonably detailed, with locations of mics, DIs (and if it's a front-line instrument like acoustic guitar, whether DI should be in front or in the amp backline), monitors, and AC power. Mention which singers want straight vs. boom stands.
                  Chairs, if needed.

Don't forget to label which side of the stage is "audience". Generally that's the bottom of the diagram. Mark the front-to-back centerline of the stage.

AC power...I forgot about that!

We have a pretty simple set up for the most part....
                  My Bands

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1
                    When I prepare them for bands that I work with to give to other soundmen, I usually just use MS paint for the plot. I insert text boxes to label what the backline componets are and the location of the stage monitors with a mix # in them. I usually have a second sheet with an input list with insert plot and a description of what the monitor mixes should have.

The input list also has what inserts are needed on what input and what kind of stands/clamps are needed and also what mic or DI box is prefered.
                    I don't know about the channel inserts. I know what we use in our system, but maybe the clubs won't have drum gates. That's really all we use.
                    My Bands

Comment

The general rule of thumb is to ask for more than you want, so that you might get at least what you need
                      Actually, I always ask for 4 channels of comps and 6 channels gate minimum on the rider. That way I have 'em if I need 'em.
                      On my own suitcase gigs I generally bring my own effects, mics, and four channels of comps too. Its all in a 6 space rack... (1) SPX 990, (2) TC M-one XL's, (1)REV 500 and (1) DBX 1046 comp. This is only when I don't know whats at the club (or some clubs where I do and don't like it )
                      Mike

Comment

Reminds me of one of my favorite moments from the incomparable This is Spinal Tap , where David, Nigel and Derrek sketched out the stage plot for their mock-up of Stonehenge on a cocktail napkin, but mistakenly indicated that the "stone pillars" should be 12" high instead of 12' high. Much humor ensued when, during the performance, the foot-tall, "built-to-spec" Stonehenge set was lowered to the stage and then dwarved by the dancing dwarves dressed as Druids. (Apologies for all the awful alliteration).

Comment

Originally posted by agedhorse
                          Personally, I don't care how it's done as long as it's correct. Nothing worse than getting wrong stage plots and riders!

You mean like:

1) Notating which direction is the front of the stage (for those acts who insist on having the drum riser at the front of the stage and all the monitors pointed at their asses?

2) Notating where you want the power drops and how many outlets?

3) Notating that this IS the current stageplot and what is represented for players is what will actually be at the show?

4) Including current cell phone numbers and contact information?

5) Having the stageplot, input list, and rider written in the native language of the venue?

6) Including the name of the band and players (so I can refer to the stage right guitarist by something besides "stage right guitarist"... and know which stageplot goes with which band)?

Comment

So... was a 48ft. tall stage provided?

FWIW: I did provide pretty close to a 100KW FOH system... at a nightclub... it was stupid... speakers stacked floor to ceiling 30 ft. or so on each side of the stage (60ft. x 10ft. of cones showing... and gobs of horns stacked on-top)... inna 300 cap. club... the band decided that was a little on the "over-kill" side... and admitted they really wanted a 10,000W FOH rig.

Nobody could reach the band with their listed contact info to confirm the rider requirements prior to the show... so I provided pretty much what was called for (and charged accordingly).

Comment

Well, it's generally easy enough in a 400 capacity folk club to get acts to cut their rider down a bit. "Gee, we don't have two Xenon Supertrooper follow spots" is sometimes a good icebreaker.
                              "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Working...
                              X