Laptop to mixer

• Members

Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and have learned alot already, but I think I've missed a couple basics. I DJ a couple local things around here, and right now I connect my laptop to my mixer using the laptops 1/8" headphone out to the 1/4" Left and Right "in's" on my Behringer Eurorack 802.

I was wondering if this is the best way to hook up my laptop to my mixer? Would a USB audio interface provide better sound quality? If so, do you guys recommend one?

Also, right now I just play music through windows media player. Is this the standard amongst party DJ's, or do yall use another better program?

Thank you in advance!

• Members

A DI box (direct injection) converts an unbalanced high impedance signal (2 conductor (usualy a tip/sleave phone or RCA plug ) to a balanced low impedance signal (3 conductor (usualy an XLR). I won't get into an explanation about why a balanced signal is better (you can do a search about common mode rejection for more detailed info). Just understand that a low impedance balanced signal is much less prone to noise (hum) and can be sent down long lines with overall much less signal degradation. For your application plugging directly into your board may work in most situations but inevitably you will setup in a venue where there is a strong EM field (hum in the air) and a DI will usualy stop most or all of this hum (that's why agedhorse said it's hit or miss). As for the impedance matching, this shouldn't be an issue for you (a pair of DIs will work fine for your application).

A word to clear up some common confusion. Don't get an unbalanced stereo signal (3 conductors (tip and ring are the left and right and sleave/shield are the common ground) with a mono balanced signal (tip=+ ring=- and shield carries no signal).

I'm not a DJ so I'm not really hip to the latest and greatest software for this application but I can tell you that I use PCDJ (red version) to run performers cues from FOH and it work's quite well (there are quite a few DJs on this board who can probably make better recomendations).

• Members

A word to clear up some common confusion. Don't get an unbalanced stereo signal (3 conductors (tip and ring are the left and right and sleave/shield are the common ground) with a mono balanced signal (tip=+ ring=- and shield carries no signal).

The 1/4 input jack on my acoustic-electric ibanez is waay too loose, so i use the optional XLR jack. I found a cable with both ends. Will i get better sound out of my guitar if i get an XLR cable with the same ends?

• Members

Hi copperton

I use two laptops when i DJ, i do use ther internal audio cards. meaning the mini jack output they offer. u can use a DI box it will give u cleaner signal, sometims i do, but I dont think its that much of a problem.. but for the time bieng what u r dong is ok.. u have to watch your output signal on your laptop though.. check your control panel and go to speeches and audio devices. make sure u set your out put volume to at most 70%

it would be better for you to buy a seperate audio card. behringer makes a couple. one for 30 bucks another for 110. they use firewire and USB, unles you are spining or beatmatching though its not that necessary...

ALSO. in terms of programs to play music with. instead of windows media.

I have a couple if your interested. the advantage u will have is. u can cross fade. one song right into another...instead of having any "dead air" in between songs. and u can beat match.

• Members

We used to use an audio connection from laptop to mixer and vice versa, but the 3.5mm jacks on the laptop were unreliable, noisy and easily bent.

Now using USB with an Edirol UA-25 box mounted at the desk. That gives balanced stereo in/out to/from the laptop via a single USB connector. Perfect when using the laptop to record in mono/stereo and to play sounds from the laptop (MP3's, DVD sountracks etc.)

You can get USB leads up to 5m, and Neutric do a panel mounting USB connector if you want to wire-in the Edirol box. (By the way, the Edirol takes its power from the laptop via USB, so there are no PSU plugs to worry about.

-Simon-

• Members

I use a Whirlwind PCDI, it has stereo 1/8 input and XLR outputs. I found this one thats a lot cheaper the other day tho:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PRO-IFACE.html

pretty basic, but it has the right i/o and it will eliminate the noise you get from laptops sometimes. The ground schemes in laptops don't always play nice with audio gear.

• Members

Thanks ATOMIC....that looks like a nice peice of equipment. I will look into it. I have been playing around with my makeshift equipment, and have noticed that the sound quality is not that good at all. Right now, I'm running mono into some bookshelf speakers (I know, I know), but anyways, will I notice a significant increase in sound quality when I run the system in stereo? (I'm waiting on that Y cable)

• Members

I'm a DJ, and I use the standard 1/8" jack on my laptop for now. Sure when I first turn on my equipment there is some hum or buzz in the speakers, but as soon as I crank up the music, that hum or buzz is non-existent anymore. Most prerecorded music is so loud that you will not hear that hum or buzz. You just have to make sure there is not dead space between your music and you are all set.

Oh, and on the DJ software issue, I use Virtual DJ 4.2 which is an awesome DJ interface!

• Members

I'm a DJ, and I use the standard 1/8" jack on my laptop for now. Sure when I first turn on my equipment there is some hum or buzz in the speakers, but as soon as I crank up the music, that hum or buzz is non-existent anymore. Most prerecorded music is so loud that you will not hear that hum or buzz. You just have to make sure there is not dead space between your music and you are all set.

Is this called striving for quality? Just be sure there's no dead space between the music? Wonder why the professional community sometimes picks on DJs? ALL you have to worry about is your own simple set-up... and you don't care about hum and buzz? One word sums it up for me... "wow".

• Members

Is this called striving for quality? Just be sure there's no dead space between the music? Wonder why the professional community sometimes picks on DJs? ALL you have to worry about is your own simple set-up... and you don't care about hum and buzz? One word sums it up for me... "wow".

What? There is virtually no buzz when the music is off and the system is almost full in volume. And I never allow that to happen during the gig because I always fade between songs so that there is no dead space. Plus, I get compliments on my sound quality. Why on earth would I spend money I don't need to in order to fix a problem people don't hear and I therefore don't care about? All people care about is that I play the music they want to hear, that the music is loud, and that the sound is good quality. Seriously... But eventually when I pull around $2000 together and I get into mixing with turntables, I'm gonna get a good quality sound card and probably a DI box so that I can connect everything up to my computer and then to my mixer, and then eventually upgrade my computer, but for now I am good.

• Members

• Members

Can you explain this?
:confused:

Okay... so maybe I should have substituted "minimal" for "some" and I would have been all set. Seriously I tried it last nite, there is virtually no buzz when you turn on the system or when you crank it up. Sorry about the mix up...

Archived