Your opinion of 3 small full-range power amps...

• Members

Getting ready to dish out the dough for a new-to-me PA - this will be my "small club convertible", meaning I'll add a bigger amp and speaker stack for the few larger outdoor events in summer.

A&H Mix Wizard 3 - 12 or 16 channel Mixer

Rane SEQ 30L Stereo graphic EQ

---insert ---recommended ---small ---power-amp ---here----

I use an old pair of fender cabs, 2-way, rated quite conservatively at 75 watts. I like 'em, I'm keeping 'em.

So, all three amps above are in the same price range used, and are the right size for my speakers, etc. Given the three choices, which one will give the best sound (think full-range Jazz/swing/country), and be wholly reliable for some coming years? I like warmth, richness, and silkyness...

Input for other units to look into also welcome, as well as feedback on the Rane EQ, etc.

Thanks, Goldenvoice:wave:

• Members

If you can hear an audible difference in sound quality between any of those amps, then one of them needs a trip to the repair shop. I used to think there was a difference between my old Crest 9001 and my friends Crown MA 5000, but after we had a chance to take them out to an open field, match the gains and phase, there was no audible difference between to the 2 amps.

All 3 manufacturers are good quality and I have had both Crest and QSC amps working for me for over 10 years with thousands of gigs on them with only a couple of failures (say 3 channel failures out of the 30+ channels of amp I own from them during that period).

I wouldn't buy any of the amps you listed, because I think it is worth it to get a light weight amp used. I would look at a QSC PLX amp on the used market. If you are only going to buy 1 amp then it isn't a big deal to get a conventional, but if you are going to have more than one, then I would go lightweight.

• Members

Note that your speakers are the weak link and you may wish to consider replacing both the amp and speaker as a package... or consider better quality powered speakers. Start with one, and buy a second one when money allows. I think you will be happier with the performance.

• Members

None of the amps mentioned so far are intended to alter the signal at all. You won't get a 'tube sound' from any modern solid state power amp, nor should you expect to.

No, I was only referring to the description of the item on ebay..

Besides, aren't high-end tube products (tube pre's - high-fi's, etc) mighty linear too?

So what do you give up with a digital amp like that? Seems if you don't give up anything sonically, all amps would be built as light...:rolleyes:

• CMS Author

No, I was only referring to the description of the item on ebay..

Besides, aren't high-end tube products (tube pre's - high-fi's, etc) mighty linear too?

So what do you give up with a digital amp like that? Seems if you don't give up anything sonically, all amps would be built as light...
:rolleyes:

Features, quality/reliability, weight, performance, price. Each variable is related to the others to some extent, and is factored into the compromise that results in a product

• Members

Here's my choice in that area. A real diamond!

I agree with TL - these are hidden gems of amps! Lightweight and sturdy and best of all - only take up one space in the rack! We use one to power 4 monitors and keep in an audiopile 6 space rack with a TC M300 fx unit, a Driverack PA (for FOH processing), 2 Rane 31 band EQs (for monitors) and a furman w/ lights. Nice little rig for us and our powered FOH (2 Yorky nx55p's over 2 Yorky ls700p's) for ~ 200 folks and less.

The amp never heats up. Solid unit.

Archived