Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie with ?'s..here goes

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A GEQ is good if you know how to use it. If not, I would say you are better off without one. I've heard many systems Eq'd very badly and have a dramatic increase just removing the EQ than using it how it was set up.
    As far as a crossover, I've used a Rolls SX21 Tiny Two way crossover for 5-6 years with no issues. For a budget crossover I believe it does the job just fine.

Comment

I think that system is good enough that as long it is not asked to do anything beyond its design limits, the clarity of the sound will be largely determined by the talent of the operator, the acoustics of the room, and the talent of those behind the mics.

As others have said, you do need a crossover, though.
      -

Comment

Depending on the music even not using subs is an option. But they can be so...

The behring FBQ has nothing useful in the way of a crossover, they put the Low-Pass-Filter on there to sell units, it has no practical use. Aside from that I'd say 2x dual 31 band EQs (not behringer) for Left/Right and mon1/mon2 then add a stereo 2 way crossover (Rane SAC22 is my fav and I also have one for sale for 75 bux).

I understand about budgets, especially church budgets and while we can all argue one side or the other the truth is the church either is full of amazing tightwads or the money really isn't there (ask the congregation if anyone has the eq/crossover directly and maybe someone will donate one to the cause and no money has to leave the church). Crossover 1st, then EQ. sounds backwards but a system not being pushed hard will be more forgiving lacking EQ. good luck, I'm atheist, no one donates anything to me.
        www.rock-bot.com
        Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Now that I think about it, I think the CS1200 comes with the old-school Peaver x-over can jumper setup.

I bet the previous owner had those installed. Oh, and beware of the whole pin 3 is hot thing on the CS inputs that could cause it to play poorly with newer gear.
          -

Comment

Thank you I understand the after purchase issues. That part was out of my hands. Can you give me your advice on the following:

BEHRINGER FBQ3102 31 BAND EQUALIZER/CROSSOVER FBQ 3102

Going for like $122

Thanks
            Greg

Personally, I'd stay away from Behringer. For a little more you can get a dbx or Rane. Dont get a stereo 15 band EQ - look for a pair of 31 band or a dual 31 band. Run everything mono so you can use one side for mains and the other for monitors. A simple 2 way active crossover will really help a lot. You will have a decent set up with these two additions.
            "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Band promo shots on railroad tracks were cool in 1981...

Comment

the 15/18 combination has a tendency to have a lot of mud in the middle and that will make the system not sound quite as clear as it should.

Shouldn't matter one bit if the x-over is correctly set.
              Don Boomer

Comment

Guys thanks a lot for all your info.

First off the system was delivered and everything functions as it should. We connected the equipment and tried all channels and like I said that everything works.

Our next step is to set up the eq. in the area that will be hosting the coffee house. We will run a rehearsal with the setup we have, see what we can do with it.

The CS1200 does have a cross over, but I doubt that we will be using the subs anyway. I don't think that we will would gain anything, with the music style, with the subs.

So I believe that we will be looking for the following, in the same order. A snake, a dual channel eq., and then a compressor. Comments on a snake? Looking at a Rapco and Horizon. Use is going to be minimal, care will be used when in use.

Keep the comment and recommendations coming.

Greg

Comment

Guys thanks a lot for all your info.

First off the system was delivered and everything functions as it should. We connected the equipment and tried all channels and like I said that everything works.

Our next step is to set up the eq. in the area that will be hosting the coffee house. We will run a rehearsal with the setup we have, see what we can do with it.

The CS1200 does have a cross over, but I doubt that we will be using the subs anyway. I don't think that we will would gain anything, with the music style, with the subs.

So I believe that we will be looking for the following, in the same order. A snake, a dual channel eq., and then a compressor. Comments on a snake? Looking at a Rapco and Horizon. Use is going to be minimal, care will be used when in use.

Keep the comment and recommendations coming.

Greg

My new Mantra for all your cable needs: Audiopile
                  Support your fellow HC members!
                  PTD-1
                  For Cables & Racks, Roadcases and Case Hardware : Audiopile.net
                  For Vocal help: Vocal Forum Moderator Al Koehn's The Secrets of Successful Singing,

Originally Posted by agedhorse

You can't bridge these amps (yay).

Comment

Working...
                  X